TBD

TBD on Ning

Has anyone been surprised by the events of the last 1 1/2 years?

Given the news of the past year and a half, have you been surprised at what has been going on in our country politically? Did you foresee the events that have taken place or are you taken aback for one
reason or another?

Tags: America

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree, Quinn.
I have said this before somewhere but I will say it again. I believe the fact that someone would run for a political office should disqualify them from that office. I believe this from my city councilman to the president. However since it always comes to a choice of people who are running I vote for "not the worst".
:)
The classical Greeks didn't have elections; They appointed people to perform civic duties as per their best known qualities.

Wonder of there might be a way to get that idea rolling again...
Sometimes it does come down to such a choice, pickleallen, but I also know there are politicians who are both honorable and hard working.
I was at a rally in New Paltz NY a few months ago ( my son is a poly sci major at the SUNY there ) given by Ralph Nader to support Jonathan Tasini, a Democrat trying to unseat U.S. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand in a primary this year. Tasini is a union organizer who previously worked for the United Auto Workers.

Nader was very blunt in his criticism of Obama, I'm echoing some of the comments that appeared in a local newspaper.

After both spoke of Tasini’s candidacy, ( supports raising the minimum wage to $20 an hour and legalizing gay marriage and marijuana ) Nader said Obama is failing his base, which has been disgruntled for months with their chosen candidate.

“I fault him because he’s not building his progressive, liberal base that sent him to the White House. He hasn’t met with the civic leaders, the progressive leaders who have worked their heads off for years for a better country,” Nader said. “Maybe he’ll wake up because his polls are sinking. The only way he’s going to turn that around is draw that line and say he stands for the people of this country and that the corporations are going to be our servants and not our masters. And he has to get out of these wars that are creating a quagmire for him and his party.”
I really do admire Nader and the stands he takes. I think he is probably one of the most honest straight forward politicians around. He is very intelligent but mule headed. As I said earlier, you have to compromise if you want to make any progress in US politics at any level above the local. I think Nader understands this, but is unwilling to do it. I think he caused Cary to lose the election to Bush. That was worse than any compromise I can think of.
I voted for John Carey. My stomach tied itself up in knots when I punched the chad. Like pickle, I voted for "not the worst".
Nader turned into a huge narcissist. I blame him along with George W. Bush for the war in Iraq in the same way I blame Bill O'Reilly as complicit in the death of Dr. George Tiller.
BILL O'ReILLY ET. AL.

If I said I had a tear in my eye and a snarl threatening to push past my firmly clenched teeth it would not be a huge exaggeration . . .
Yes, Nader can be pompous. But the blame cannot be laid on him for splitting the progressive vote in 2000 by not bowing out of the presidential race. The blame lies in the defective two party system.
The Worst sums up the last election.
An old guy and a wet behind the ears kid.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service