TBD

TBD on Ning

Has anyone been surprised by the events of the last 1 1/2 years?

Given the news of the past year and a half, have you been surprised at what has been going on in our country politically? Did you foresee the events that have taken place or are you taken aback for one
reason or another?

Tags: America

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Obama has been for the most part exactly what he campaigned as. What you saw was what you got (with few exceptions).

Obama can't govern the way you want him to, even if he had the desire to do so (and I don't believe he desired that). It is endlessly amazing to me to observe that people assume he could operate like any other typical (read "white") president. It just doesn't work that way. Nor can he comment very much about race, or address, in more than a perfunctory sort of way, the concerns of the black community. If Obama acted like Bush (W), he'd be dead. Again, I don't think he has any desire to act in that way, but I'm just saying.

The Tea Party is corporately funding and driven. The people behind the scenes are using the legitimate concerns of people to inflame and incite (as are some in this network) for the purpose of keeping us divided, occupied and ineffective. They are perfectly willing to tap into whatever social fear will accomplish their purpose.
If Obama acted like Bush (W), he'd be dead.

I'm not convinced of that. I am convinced the general atmosphere among the right would be more vicious, and it might see an increase in violence generally, and threats toward himself in particular, but the fact remains any successful attempt today would bring into question the credibility of the entire system - to say nothing of the potential for widespread rioting in the wake of such an event.

Accidental Engineering is another matter . . .

All in all I think he has a bit more latitude to act than he himself may realize. I also think he is learning and growing accustomed to a completely unique experience and event in American history and politics. I do wish he would dismiss the nay sayers with a curt bit of reality and just forge boldly ahead.

Then again, I never was much for patience.
"God gave Noah the rainbow sign, No more water, the fire next time!"
"Meet the new boss...same as the old boss...."

Well said Pru, I admire the man as anyone with half a brain would. Nothing surprises me any more Vernon. I've been disgusted with politicians of both major parties for about 10 years. Time to clean house.

Please, no comments Pru on my "half a brain" remark. :)
Careful!
I'm always naive about how mean spirited most Americans are. I'm always surprised that people like Mitch McConnel and Tom Coburn can continue to be elected. I'm surprised at how obstructionist the republican party can be. I'm surprised that people thought Obama would be able to do everything that they wanted him to do. I'm surprised that anyone thinks that a legislative body of over 500 people could accomplish anything easily and or quickly. I have been a part of the middle class for over 50 years, moving from lower middle class to upper middle class and back to middle middle class, so I am surprised at my failure to recognize that most of the people I have associated with during my lifetime are mean spirited ass holes. The majority of people who express their views about politics or class do so by complaining. So and so got promoted by kissing ass. Those lazy slobs get food stamps. The illegal immigrants are taking all the jobs. If the federal goverment would just stop telling the states what to do we would all be much better off. The system is stacked angainst God fearing honest, hard working people like me. And on and on.

So it came as no real surprise when I read today that most members of the Tea Party are middle and upper middle class who think that the main problem with the Obama adminstration is that it is disproportionately concerned with the poor. I guess it is not really surprising, but it is very disapointing. So, I personally am not disapointed with Obama, but I am disapointed with the American middle class. I guess that by ignoring most indicators, I thought the American middle class were much more compasionate than they are.
I think I have just been demoted from middle class to low class.
I concur Robbie. You have to know who is working for the people, and who is watching out for corporate interests.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/22887392#36584610
"Cleaning house" won't do any good, Larry, until we deal with campaign finance reform. Until that time, money will continue to corrupt our politicians. It is not that some don't enter office with the best expectations, they do, but over time the corrupting influence of having to raise so much money to run for office, takes its toll on both their time and integrity, not to mention their votes.

New faces will be corrupted just as easily.
Good point Vernon, but if we clean house, the new faces and those that happened to survive the house-cleaning, may think twice about their job security.

I didn't think about campaign finance reform pertaining to cleaning house. I've ranted on this before. The Supreme Court sunk us into a deeper hole with their decision.
I agree about the Supreme Court. I don't know what they were thinking.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service