TBD

TBD on Ning

I'm retired. I get a little bored sometimes, but I really don't miss working.
Has anyone here ever had a steady full time job that they really liked? That they just couldn't wait to get too. I don't mean one day out of the month. I mean one that made you look forward to starting every day.
I enjoyed repairing radios. I didn't think it was more fun than playing the slots, but I did like it. Kind of. Then the Army decided that if I liked it there must be something wrong so they promoted me. Then I had to keep track of a bunch of other people repairing radios. Not as much fun.
I had a number of jobs that I could tolerate, but I can't remember one that I couldn't wait to get too.
I think my son knows more about life than I do. He said "When you have to do it, it isn't fun anymore. So, lets hear about all those really lovable jobs that we tbders have held.

Views: 0

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The antique shop was a blast every single day Robbie. The fun part was getting my hands on some very cool things. The hard part was selling those very cool things knowing I would probably never have another one like it in my hands again.
It must have been fun. A friend and I talk about finding the right town and opening a coffee shop. Since we are both retired we wouldn't have to make any profit. if we could do it on our own terms and break even it would be a blast. Hey, with her experience maybe we could hire Pru to put on the Red Wiggler costume and be the manager.
All right, You don't have to be the manager. you can just sit in the window and look like a book worm. We'll have a room for people to read. we'll have times for musical jams, Poetry readings, strip shows! well maybe we need to send the last one to committee? Whatta ya think? Any ideas?
Will you have wi-fi?
We will need a waitress.
Bet you were good at it. You sure know how to make me smile.
Sounds like a geat job.
Working for the livery service I'm employed by, I get to talk to people from all walks of life. Some tip better than others. Airline crews are the worst when it comes to tipping...and they get an allotment for tipping valets, cabbies and drivers such as myself. It's both fun and annoying to watch how they go about weaseling out of tipping me. The corporate and private accounts tip accordingly. Then there's my part-time pizza delivery job. Again, some folks tip better than others. Traffic and dumb drivers are an occupational hazard of both jobs.

One job that I had that I actually looked forward to doing was being a stagehand; loading and unloading tractor-trailers, setting up the audio/visual systems...lights, speaker racks, sound boards..etc., etc., it was an education. Most people don't realize how much it takes to put on a concert or an event like Jeopardy, the WWE or Disney on Ice.

As much as I say that I hated doing it, roofing wasn't really that bad of a job...in the spring and in the fall when the weather was pleasant and the project wasn't a two or three day affair. Roofing in the summer and winter months was trying to say the least but one thing is for certain: the work is in abundance during the spring and summer. I do small repairs and the occasional full blown tear-off and re-roofs these days. I like doing it for myself better than being a wage slave for some thankless company.

The same can be said for my other trade, installing/finishing hardwood floors. The worst part of finishing is breathing the polyurethane fumes, after the rough and fine sanding. Installation is much easier and faster because all you have to do is rack the wood out on the sub floor, making sure your cuts are straight and tight, then kick the boards into place also making sure there are no gaps between the boards and nail them.

Would that my avocation, being a musician and lead guitarist of Knowledge Is For Fools (K.I.F.F. for short), were my vocation. I love playing in front of people. It's a high you wouldn't understand until you've done it. We're lucky in that we've all been friends for 10+ years and that we can work together. Sure we have clashes-that's the nature of the beast.
When you're riding in a van with 3 or 4 other people with all that gear, you really get to know one another. We're just back from our holiday hiatus and are looking forward to putting the final touches on what's to be our debut release. We're also back to writing new, original material. The creative process is a lot of give and take. A song will go through several metamorphoses before we're happy with the end result and don't let anybody tell you different: recording studio time IS work. Multiple takes and listening to the track by track playback is an arduous process in itself as is the mixing, remixing, editing and mastering. This is what I'd be doing "professionally" if I had the choice and opportunity. Enjoy this example of the fruits of our labor...

BAF, I have always had the feeling that you were a great teacher, and enjoyed it.
i rather not work but have too.
My job could be Okay if the boss was gone.
I'm still wondering about your dog shit comment on another discussion. (:>)
TSD, Great Video.
I always thought the greatest job in the world would be as a singer/musician like Seger, Springsteen,or somebody. But I have zero musical ability, so that was out. I did enjoy instructing while actually doing it, but there was so much bureaucratic stuff involved that the actual "on stage" time was a fraction of the job. Although stressful, I did enjoy briefing groups of Government, Military and Corporate managers about Programs I was responsible for. As I said, most jobs I have had had things about them that were enjoyable,but were overshadowed by the not so enjoyable parts. Too bad I have no talent in any of the arts or crafts. Seems like the only thing I was good at was managing people and that was not that enjoyable.
I’m boring.
I only had two or three jobs before I retired.
I retired from the Telephone Company. I was always on loan and was sent all over the world.
I made my company $300.00 bucks per hour. I sure didn’t make that.
I’ll pick on my State Forestry job that I had during the summer when I was in school.
They sent us to firefighting school. Our instructor set a fire in the woods so we could practice putting it out.
A gust of wind came up and blew the fire over two hills. Of course we had to call the fire department for help. We were not supposed to use bad language on the radio but our boss sure did.
We pulled a drunken Indian out of a burning building, revived him, he then wanted to fight. We turned the fire hose on him.
I was going to a fire, I pulled up behind a car and turned on the red light and siren, this couple started getting dressed in the back seat.
We were convoying to a fire. We came up to this real steep hill and I have to go to granny to make it over. After we put the fire out I told the guy right behind me that my steering was hozed. He said there is nothing wrong with your steering, when you hit first gear your whole front end came off of the ground. He thought that I was going to go over backwards.
Fun times.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service