TBD

TBD on Ning

Here's a place to record your day-to-day equestrian doings, musings, and adventures.

Tags: day-to-day doings, equestrian ephemera, what's happenin'?

Views: 1130

Replies to This Discussion

Just a week to what is probably our last show for the year. There's supposed to be a hat competition too and so I've been thinking of a suitable design for the last month and I came up with a theme of LI's horse heritage...jumping, dressage, driving & polo. I've been experimenting with how to implement it. Needed to afix a riding helmet on top of a straw hat. Well that didn't work too well...too heavy.  So after more thought I bought some balloons, blew them up and tried to fit a helmet cover to it and affix it to the straw hat. No go. So then I used papier mache on the balloon to create a shell for the helmet cover. Sewed the shell with the cover to the crown of the straw hat. Attached a few other things plus equine photos of the various disciplines and now I'm hoping it survives to the judging that day. I'm kind of pleased with it although it's not a very polished effort.

I'm all tattooed up with horses! For my birthday a friend gave me a sheet of equine tattoos...the temporary kind. So after my massage yesterday, she put on a tramp stamp on my lower back and a jumper on the back of my neck and last night on my fore arm I put on four horse heads. Now I'm ready for sundays"s show. Wooohoo!

Hooray!!!

Now that's a tramp stamp!

Good luck tomorrow, Carol.

Results of today's show were mediocre. Poor Nip 'n' Tuck aka Nathan was hauled to the site late and hadn't had breakfast and so his day did not start well. We had poor energy for the first 2 tests but our geometry was good and so our scores were 60.56% and 55.25% respectively and 2nd place and 5th  place. Intro C was marred by the rider going off course twice but there was good energy. We earned a 7.5 for the first canter transition and a 6.5 for the second. All 3 tests Nathan refused to flex and go on the bit for all the salutes and instead was distracted by the horses nearby and the judge's tent. Intro C was scored at 57.65% and a 5th place ribbon. I think Nathan has been at too many shows this year. When he wasn't doing dressage, he was doing jumping. May be he's getting confused. I solved my energy problem with a box of chocolate-covered raisins between classes. It was a relatively cool day. I tied for first place in the hat contest and now own a large mum plant.   

Your scores were decent and workmanlike, Carol--nothing to worry about. As you know, it's the experience and the judges notes that are most valuable. Nathan may have been tired and a bit flummoxed by his busy schedule; just like people, sometimes a horse's head just isn't where it should be.

The chocolate-covered raisins were a stroke of genius. :>)

And congratulations on the mum. Do you have any pictures of you in the hat?? 

It was a REALLY good day for riding! Cool and sunny but the outdoor rings were soggy from all of yesterday's rain. Nathan and I didn't concentrate on anything special although we did some shoulder-in and haunches-in work. Mostly we tooled around the indoor on a long rein and practiced a few times our salute. Now I'm ready for sunday's trip to Chicago.    

OK. What was the trip to Chicago about, and how did it go?

My last chance to have a vacation before my cat sitter leaves in a few weeks & I continue to search for a replacement. Never been to Chicago but on this the last day, my feet are feeling like they did in Japan. Today we went up to the Observation Deck of the Sears/Willis Tower and it was all fogged in! Too funny! Took a tour of the Federal Reserve, had deep dish pizza for lunch and then an afternoon at the Art Institute.Am ready for a quiet ride arount the ring!

I enjoy vacations and the different experiences they offer but I always come back a few pounds heavier and then I feel sorry about my equine partner as my next lesson looms. I also know that I'll be sluggish with my riding skills and the memory of all that good food haunts me at the edge of my mind....Chicago hot dogs, deep dish pizza, pecan pie, panko-breaded salmon filet, pot roast, etc.

A quiet ride around the ring on a sunny cool day is what I got....all of 10 minutes worth! Poor Nathan who had had a lesson earlier was head bobbing and you know what that means! We determined that it was his left front leg and so I ended it and took him up. Then I coldhosed his legs and washed them down with vetrolin and tucked him into his stall with his treats. He doesn't know yet since I just read my emails that we won the year-end Reserve Championship for the Islip Horsemen's Association Dressage Shows. Now I'll have to go to an Awards Dinner!

CONGRATULATIONS, CAROL!!!!!! That's an appropriate reward for your hard work and dedication.

You'll have to give Nathan even more hugs and treats than normal, and when he's feeling better, perhaps a nice, relaxing trail ride.

I'll be rooting for his quick recovery. 

Nathan had his hoof injected on Thursday and so yesterday I rode his substitute, Max, instead. Max does jumping usually but we did some basic work in bending and flexing which came out pretty well when I saw the video. He's a big mover which makes me a bit nervous but a smooth canter. Looking at the video the only fly in the ointment is that my hands are bouncing a bit. Ugh!  

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service