TBD

TBD on Ning

It's Friday.

Chucks is gone and so is his Q&A Group. As JayLee feared so are the Vibes. Since there is no Question and answer group there appears to be no check in.

So Let's do it over here. It's the start of the weekend! Time to have fun.

There is all kinds of bad news.

1. Looks like tbd is splintering.

2. After two days the TBD Stalwarts has only 7 members.

3. The Stock Market tanked yesterday.

4. The end of the world is near.

5. The Zombies are still here

Everybody check in and give me some good news.

Views: 2170

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kooner, the original TBD had advertising, but it was pretty much (i think) ignored. Was the downfall of TBD I advertisement dollars?  I don't know, but I do know, that I ignore most ads. Online, news paper, direct mail, TV, etc. If I had known that clicking on an ad would have kept the original going, I would have foregon my dislike, and clicked away!! If It would keep this sight up, I would do it. I'm not sure there is enough "traffic" here to make that happen. Barring that, I am one of the ones that is more that willing to kick in a couple bucks when needed to keep my life line to all of you open. 
Ever so slowly, many of my old friends from the first TBD are reassembling on FB.  FB is big medicine now....its one stop shopping...like shopping at Wal-Mart.  Frankly, we're on life support here, but maybe that's not such a bad thing.  If we can rustle up the cabbage to renew, I guess we could go on for quite some time.  I like it here....I'm comfortable with the people....you all are like neighbors.  Realistically, I don't see our numbers ever increasing dramatically.  I suppose a few more folks might drift back from MA, but it seems most are where they want to be now.  That drama has subsided away to virtually nothing.  I might add, I've had a couple of RL friends join here, and they're ghost members........ they never got involved with it at all.

From what I researched, the original tbd pretty much proved that the over 40 crowd do not purchase much from on line advertising. Near the end I posted a thread asking if anyone had purchased anything from the ads. It was a nearly unanimous NO!!! I also know that there was a few million dollars invested in trying to make tbd and some other senior social networking sites work. They all went bust. We tried to have a big meeting of tbd people in KC in 2009. We got very little support from Robin. She did send Kat to the meet. TBD was one of the sponsers of a convention type meeting in AZ shortly before. As I remember, AARP and about three other large oganizations for seniors put that one on. It was a complete bust.  That was why she didn't waste much of her dwindling resources on the KC meet. At one point it appeared that we were going to have 50 or 60 people show up. There were 18 of us that did show up. Those of us there had a great time. Odee did the karoke thing and it was a blast.  LFF then tried to have one in Chicago that summer and it didn't happen for lack of interest, and the fact that tbd was on the way down.

I would like to see a socialogical study done on the rise and fall of seniors social networking sites. Are any of the others still going strong? Eons? Answeroligy? Any of them?

It seems the concept of the over 40 site might have been obsoleted before it ever really got rolling.  For a few bucks a month, a Ning site can be maintained, offering essentially the same services as the slick, made for profit sites.

Perhaps the tug of real life proved to be too much to overcome.  I think most of us can push ourselves away from the keyboard and interact in real life.  We have stuff going on there as well...its not just a virtual  world.  Patronizing on line advertisers?  Well, I never really have.  I'm a senior, I'm tight with my money. 

I'm tight too, Stir.....have to be.

Conventions and meet-ups are fine for those in close proximity, but with gas prices and air fares what they are now, many of us simply can't afford to travel long distances. After all, we "meet-up" here most every day.

I would certainly hate to see this site divided into the "haves" and "have-nots" as in "real life."

That would, in my opinion, defete the purpose of TBD.

I've been to just one meet up...last October at Middlebury, Indiana.  I was the only active TBD member....the rest had mostly moved over to MA.  I had a great time...I had re-joined MA shortly before we met up, and had been communicating with most of the attendees.  The reality of the trip was that it took me five hours to get there.  It was an expensive weekend, but certainly worth it.  When I look at a map of the USA, and mark places where I'd like to go to meet TBD people, I realize what a daunting task that would be.  Long, long drives punctuated by short visits,  lotsa gas, meals and lodging to pay for in the meantime. So until I win the lottery, I'll mostly be visiting on-line, I guess.  Uh, and one must actually play the lottery to win, right? 

I am glad to hear it was worth it Stir, I am hoping to go to the MA meetup in August....am thrilled to get a chance to visit in person with people I have 'met' almost daily for several years. It will be a 2 day drive of over 1000 miles, just to get there. Being out in the middle of the USA makes it a little daunting for anyone to ever get a chance to come this way. So far Robbie is the only one who has ventured my way. 

Hope you win the lottery, I would love to see you wander in the doors of my store. 

Eons......I never could figure out that place.  I was a member for a couple of years....never found my niche.  I rejoined it a few months ago, and got a nice welcome from No K Aggie, and Goldi and George, but again, I never found any place to land.  I guess I should go back and at least look around a little. 

Cliques, now there's a topic.  I very gently brought up the topic on MA (indicting both TBD and MA), and got chastised by one of the Capos.  A couple of weeks ago I was "witness" to a sermonette on the subject offered up by another one of the Capos....this time posted on a totally unrelated FB thread.  OK, I guess if they think they aren't cliquish, then they AREN'T!!  I-yi-yi!   HaHaHa!    

I didn't take your comments to be complimentary....I've never got involved far enough into Eons to make much of a judgment about the place.

I have never left TBD.
After Pru left or got run off, everyone left.
I hang out on a web site over the pond.
What can I say when they talk about their Queen? Nothing
FB is a real bore
I like my men only web site that the women mostly control.
It’s a common sense web site where I feel more comfortable than here.
But I continue to stay on TBD even though they ran off the conservative thinkers..
Got to have my freebies, kind of thinking prevails. Here.

Miss Q,

If my handsome face and sparkling personality dosen't attract 'em, I don't know what else to do.

Well Bob, it seems to have worked at least once for ya!  ;)

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service