TBD

TBD on Ning

i'm not sure what happened here but they better come clean quick

unless you've been under a rock for the last few days you musta heard about the shootin in st. louis .. seems this young black guy got shot by a cop in ferguson which is suburb of st. louis .. well this has the whole black population mad as hell and they're riotin .. al sharpton is there and the kids family hired crump as their lawyer .. you might remember him from the trevon martin trial .. so far they've been pretty tight lipped on the police side .. could be they're tryin to get all their ducks in a row before they say anything but i don't think thats helpin matters .. i did see one kid who was supposedly with the guy who was shot and he said they were walkin down the street , not blockin traffic and just havin a polite conversation between them when a police car came by and told them to get on the sidewalk and then pulled away .. but then the cop threw it in reverse and came back and reached his arm out the window and just started chokin the guy who he eventually shot .. now the guy he choked from inside the car was 6 foot 2 or 3 .. how long was this cops arm that he could reach out and grab a guy that tall from inside his squad car ?? then he shot the guy and they both ran away .. the second guy hid in fear for his life and the cop shot the other guy twice more .. i think the police said they were doin some kinda exercise they called clean the streets or clean sweep or somethin like that .. the first thing i wanted to know was were there sidewalks ?? otherwise why were these two guys in the middle of the street ? and when you see the crime scene all roped off yes there were .. so all this is just speculation on my part but when the cop backed up they were still in the street .. and this is after he either asked them nicely to get on the sidewalk or he barked at them to move like they were animals .. or somewhere inbetween .. so my question would be at what point do you not have to obey a cop if his attitude is shitty ?? even if technically you are breakin the law by bein in the middle of the street ?? now i'm not sure just how the wheels came off the wagon but i'm thinkin thats how it started . how it got to the point of bullets bein fired i don't know .. so far we only have the one guy who ran away's side of things .. i wanna hear the cops side .. and quick too before this gets too far outta hand .. if it hasn't gone too far already ..     

Views: 328

Replies to This Discussion

Huffington Post Reporter Arrested In Ferguson

Posted: 08/13/2014 8:45 pm EDT Updated: 1 hour ago
Print Article

The Huffington Post's Ryan J. Reilly and the Washington Post's Wesley Lowery were arrested Wednesday evening while covering the protests in Ferguson, Missouri after the death of unarmed black teenager Michael Brown, who was shot by a police officer last week. The journalists were released unharmed, but their detentions highlighted the town's ramped up police presence, which has left numerous residents injured by rubber bullets, pepper spray and tear gas during protests held every night after Brown's death.

SWAT officers roughed up the reporters inside a McDonald's, where both journalists were working. Reilly snapped a photo, prompting cops to request his identification.

"The officer in question, who I repeatedly later asked for his name, grabbed my things and shoved them into my bag," said Reilly, who appeared on MSNBC's "All In with Chris Hayes" shortly after his release to recount the arrest. "He used his finger to put a pressure point on my neck."

"They essentially acted as a military force. It was incredible," Reilly said. "The worst part was he slammed my head against the glass purposefully on the way out of McDonald's and then sarcastically apologized for it."

Reilly said it will be difficult to hold the officer "accountable for his actions," as the officer did not respond to Reilly's repeated requests for his name or other identification. He said he can't be "100 percent sure" whether the officer was aware that he's a reporter, "but that really shouldn't matter in this equation."

Reilly believes he was arrested because he declined to present the officer his identification when asked for it, he said.

See tweets from Reilly and Lowery below:

The Huffington Post called the Ferguson Police Department to inquire about the status of Reilly shortly after tweets indicated that he had been arrested. The person who picked up the phone -- who identified himself as "George" -- said he couldn't give any information at this time and that there was no one who could do so. Asked for his last name, he mumbled something quickly. When pressed for the spelling of his name, he hung up.

The Huffington Post called back and again asked for information on Reilly. We were simply put through to the "Ferguson jail" voicemail. On the third try, George again insisted he didn't have any information at this time and referred us to the city's website for email information. When again asked for his last name, George simply hung up.

It's Perfectly Legal To Film The Cops

Posted: 08/13/2014 10:16 pm EDT Updated: 3 hours ago
Print Article
FERGUSON

Snapping photos of police in Ferguson, Missouri, may have gotten Huffington Post reporter Ryan J. Reilly arrested Wednesday night while he was covering protests prompted by the death of Michael Brown, an unarmed black teenager who was shot to death by a police officer.

Reilly and Washington Post reporter Wesley Lowrey were detained and assaulted after attempting to film a swarm of police officers inside a McDonald’s. An officer slammed Reilly's head into a glass window, and Lowery was shoved into a soda fountain while wearing press credentials around his neck. Both were later released without being charged with breaking any laws.

“They essentially acted as a military force,” said Reilly, who was in the restaurant to charge his phone and computer. “It was incredible.”

In recent years, there have been countless cases of police officers ordering people to turn off their cameras, confiscating phones, and, like Reilly, arresting those who attempt to capture footage of them. Despite a common misconception, it’s actually perfectly legal to film police officers on the job.

“There are First Amendment protections for people photographing and recording in public,” Mickey Osterreicher, an attorney with the National Press Photographers Association, told The Huffington Post. According to Osterreicher, as long as you don’t get in their way, it’s perfectly legal to take photos and videos of police officers everywhere in the United States.

There are many places in the US where police have taken on an air of the military. You can look at their uniforms, their cars and if you get a chance the stockpile of weapons kept in the offices. Some departments even have tanks and such. Swat teams are now routinely used for what would be considered minor crimes such as breaking up illegal poker games in Dallas to serving warrants in other place. According to Salon.com Swat raids have increased from 3000 nationwide in 1980 to 50000 last year. Whatever happened to the friendly neighborhood cop?

I have had personal experience with cop's bullying; I went to Internal Affairs and fought and fought and won, kind of.  Some necessary paperwork was "lost" and the whole thing was ultimately dropped, but the cop didn't get his way because of the lost paperwork. Having said that:

When the majority of young people in a neighborhood now carry guns, when there are shootings and high crime rates due to drugs, when there is a push in the country for MORE people to carry guns, when those ISIS mo fos are threatening to " see us in NY", how can we expect a police force to be equipped with nothing but a gun?  I wouldn't go into certain neighborhoods where people were gathered and angry if I weren't wearing riot gear--and it could be a white neighborhood in Texas where they are gun crazy or a black or Hispanic or Asian gang riddled neighborhood.

It's a crazy situation, and I don't know which is worse: seeing the riot gear, cops who act like bullies,or  "citizens" who put the fear of God into young cops.  It's a friggin mess.

yeah it is a mess .. and the police not givin out any info is only fuelin the fire .. this is the perfect storm brewin here .. all it'll take is one streak of lightning and it will ignite like dry kindlin .. i don't know what happened here but i'm sure there's enough blame to go around on both sides .. had they just stayed on the sidewalk MAYBE  none of this woulda happened .. had the cop asked nice to please get outta the street MAYBE  none of this woulda happened ?? and we don't know if he did or not .. attitude fuels so many confrontations .. i wonder what kind of education they give cops nowadays for sticky situations .. is it control the situation from the onset ?? or is it be polite as long as you can ?? and then call for backup ?? or just be billy bear and kick ass and take names ?? i doubt its draw your gun and shoot first and ask questions later tho so somethin musta went terribly wrong for it to escalate to that degree.. was this cop that unhinged ?? or did these guys really threaten him ?? stayin silent ain't helpin matters at all .. all we heard so far is one side of the story .. 

I agree with all ya have said . On a scale of 1 to 10 . How many crimes are Black related compaired to whites . I'm would say 7 out of 10 are Black related . Some areas would be more or less . Here lately there have been so many shooting between Blacks . Why is that , a turf war ...

ehh.. i'm not so sure this is just a white black thing as much as some will want to make it .. i think its more about the rights of the police and the rights of private citizens .. on the one hand we want the police there when we need them if things get outta hand .. but on the other we don't want em around tellin us what to do .. would this have gone any different if these two guys were white and had a serious attitude with the cop ?? i think bein a cop is a hard job and some of these guys are on a hair trigger .. was that the case here ?? at this point i'm gonna withhold my judgement till i know more .. i will say the cops are actin a wee bit militant in the aftermath .. but then if the mob hadn't burned down that convienience store maybe they woulda been better ?? still blame enough for everybody to go around as i see it ..  

you just might be missing the point. the reason that there is a difference between white on black racism and black on white racism is because the white on black racism has even been institutional with white police and bureaucrats using their positions to denigrate nonwhites and that abuse of power looms large in the minds of those who have endured it.so that's why some folks are easily provoked to rage

Problem, that's never an excuse, though.  It's like the husband who said he hit the wife because she provoked him.  While I can even understand someone hitting someone else in a blind fit of rage, I will never understand looting something from a store and selling it on Ebay in a blind fit of rage. Rage, yes, outrage yes, looting is just a bunch of opportunists taking advantage of a sad situation.

Remember Malcom X.  He would have laid into these people who are giving his people a bad name.  Yes, the cops are bullies, but also yes the people doing the damage now are not in control of themselves.

i am not excusing the people who are looting and burning or anything else of the sort. trhose people should be arrested and go thru the justice system and pay their dues. what i am doing is explaining that, as has happened right in front of me before, when a white cop calls a 50 year old black man 'boy', all of that history is pushed in their face at that moment. and yes, there is a difference in how blacks, hispanics and whites are treated by those police and bureaucrats, both in procedure and attitude. add to the mix the fact we seem to be raising a lot of complete assholes of all colors these days and it's easy to see how things get out of hand. and here we have a response on a local board that is relatively in the main for the area...think there is at least a bit of  racism involved there?

"Look at the riot videos.  Notice a trend?  The cops shoot a guy and the community steals hair weaves.  Seriously?  The manner in which the community is acting shows no concern or respect for the deceased.  It is just an opportunity, an excuse to pillage, burn and destroy the very community they live it.  Disgusting!  And I feel sure that somehow the taxpayers will end up footing the bill."

Not that this warrants his death, but Brown had just strong-armed someone in the convenience store and stolen several cigars.  They called the police, and the whole thing escalated from there.  I saw the surveillance video and read the police report.  So it wasn't just a case of black man walking.

whether it is true or not that he was a suspect in the robbery, seems that they would have released this information a lot earlier to defuse the situation by explaining that there was a valid reason for the beginning of the officer/ teenager interaction. inept handling of the situation at best. and the situation was inflamed by people like the state senator. meantime there are two different accounts of what actually transpired, one from the officer via the police dept and one from the second person who was with brown. it all might well boil out to be a collision between two young men with a testosterone overload and copping an attitude.

Ferguson police reveal name of officer involved in shooting

FERGUSON, Mo. (AP) — A suburban St. Louis police chief on Friday identified the officer whose fatal shooting of an unarmed black teenager ignited days of heated protests, and released documents alleging the teen was killed after a robbery in which he was suspected of stealing a $48.99 box of cigars.

Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson released several police reports and documents during a news conference where he also identified the officer involved as Darren Wilson, who has been on administrative leave since he shot 18-year-old Michael Brown on Aug. 9.

Brown and his friend, Dorian Johnson, were suspected of taking a box of cigars from a store in Ferguson that morning, according to police reports. Jackson said Wilson went to the area after a 911 call reporting a "strong-arm" robbery just before noon. He said a dispatcher gave a description of the robbery suspect, and Wilson, who had been assisting on another call, was sent to investigate

Ferguson, a town of 21,000 that is nearly 70 percent black and patrolled by a nearly all-white police force

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service