TBD

TBD on Ning

A place to post any good news, public or private, that matters to you.

Tags: happy happenstance, uplifting developments

Views: 2406

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!  Do you think Gladys would adopt us, DD???

YES! Gladys is nominated for uot twisted momma.

HILARIOUS!!!!

If we are adopted by Gladys, you are adopted alsoTee.

Xander, the Blind Therapy Pug, Helps Humans Big and Small

By Henry BakerJanuary 31, 2014 3:08 PM

A disabled dog is finding ways to lift peoples' spirit thanks to the companionship he offers.

Xander lost both of his eyes and developed breathing issues early in life following an accident. Soon after, the pug was given up for adoption at the Klamath Animal Shelter in Klamath Falls, Oregon. There, volunteers cared for Xander until Marcie and Rodney Beedy took him into their home.

The Beedys saw potential for Xander to improve the lives of others around him. They enrolled the 1-year-old dog in the American Kennel Club’s Canine Good Citizen program. Rodney is a member of the Double C team.

On Xander's official website, his owners explain part of the process.

"Xander's first accomplishment was to pass Beginning obedience class with about 20 sighted dogs," the Beedys wrote. "Momma wore a bell attached to her pant leg to keep him by her side. It wasn't long after that he could just listen to her footsteps and heel beside her."

Three weeks later, the blind pug earned his degree and became a certified Pet Partners Therapy Dog. In the role, he greets and visits with the young and old at hospitals, nursing homes, schools, and animal shelters.

What Rodney saw in the pug that made him fit to be a therapy dog: "It mainly was his gentleness and his ability to adjust to the circumstances. If he was with one person, he would play. If it were another person, he would calm down nicely. He's very gentle with what he does."

The Air Force veteran trains dogs for a living. Despite owning seven pugs and one Labrador, Rodney says, Xander is his first therapy dog.

"I think he was born for this type of work," the proud owner continued. "He's pulled me aside when a child was crying over 500 feet away because he wants to go over and comfort the child."

But when asked to recollect the most touching story of Xander bringing joy or ease to someone, Rodney remembers a particular hospital patient.

"We got a call to go up to the hospital for this one lady who was terminally ill," Rodney said. "We didn't know how long she had. My wife agreed to go up there every day after work for an hour, hour and a half. [The patient] went and played with his face. Xander would kiss her whenever she would cough. [Her] last few days, my wife continued to go up there with Xander."

The compassionate pug calmly stood by his newfound friend during her final days. She died a week and a half later.

"He's amazing in that his blindness does not affect his ability to do his work," Rodney remarked, although the work that Xander accomplishes is pretty amazing in itself.

Gotta love this 16 yaer old Gearhaed!

SAT score 2150 woot, woot!!!

Rosalee Ramer knows how people see her.

They see the grease smudged across her jeans and they think "redneck."

They see a 16-year-old girl from Watsonville who'd rather spend the weekend surrounded by the growls of monster trucks than the squeals of Justin Bieber fans.

"I get judged a lot," Rosalee said recently before heading into her father's garage that houses a 10-ton hulk of machinery named Detour. "They think monster truck driving is brainless. They think the trucks are our toys, that we just want to go out and smash things up. But there's a lot of planning and thinking that goes into it. There's a lot there that people don't see."

Rosalee not only lives for weekend truck rallies at fairgrounds along the West Coast, but she works on, designs and pilots the metallic beasts. She's considered the nation's youngest female professional monster truck driver in a sport heavy on testosterone.

"I'm amazed by how many people I meet who can't wrap their head around what I do," Rosalee said. "It's not disrespect to me. But it bothers me that they just can't imagine it - a girl who drives monster trucks."

Now imagine, for a moment, how those eyes might widen further if they saw the e-mail Rosalee opened two weeks ago and got a look at her SAT score: 2160.

Family first

The near-perfect 780 in math put Rosalee among the nation's 99th percentile and on a track for the Ivy League. Earlier this month, the straight-A student and her father, Kelvin Ramer, visited Harvard and MIT, the two universities her advisers at Pacific Collegiate charter school in Santa Cruz suggested.

Rosalee would be the first Ramer to go to college. She plans to major in mechatronics, the study of mechanical engineering and electronics, so she's leaning toward MIT.

"If that's where Rosalee wants to go, we'll make sure it happens," said Kelvin, who's been a tow truck driver since he started his own company, Auto Care, 22 years ago. "I just wanted to make sure she'd get to her classes safe at night. Like any dad, I walked around wondering how I would feel when I'm not there with her."

He walked the halls of both campuses in Cambridge, Mass., with an apple-sized knot of pride stuck in his throat. The father and daughter are so tight they perform synchronized monster truck routines side by side - her in the yellow Detour, he in the red-and-black Time Flys. Fans along the railings notice the two have a habit of falling into the same gait, walking stride for stride in harmony.

Mom Janette oversees the paperwork of the family endeavor. Ben, 14, is also enthusiastic about the sport, but can't match Rosalee's passion.

"If it has a steering wheel," Kelvin said, "she's interested in it."

Under the hood

At age 3, the girl held the flashlight for Kelvin and his buddies as they built engines at night, her hands small enough to reach the tiniest bolts. Kelvin was always a gearhead, drawn by the power of big wheels and big torque.

"To me it's amazing that you can make a vehicle that heavy launch 30 feet in the air and land safely on the ground," Kelvin said.

He learned the math of engines by trial and error and passed his knowledge onto Rosalee over thousands of hours spent together under the hood. Long before she was big enough to reach the gas pedal, Rosalee understood how - and why - the truck responded to the touch of the accelerator.

Years later, Rosalee is now designing the first electronic fuel injection system for a monster truck. She's building a new ride with her father and wants to name it "Wild Flower."

"It's kind of fun now to watch her come home from computer programming classes and explain what happens and why it happens," Kelvin said. "And I'll show her how I did it and survived without an engineering degree. She gets the best of both worlds."

cool,real cool

GO TEAM GO!

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service