TBD on Ning

we all have them. some blood, some acquired some just adopted...

Let's tell a story about  

the good

the bad

the evil

Somewhere lingering in the closet is a relative we remember with gusto!

Views: 70

Replies to This Discussion


The only Grandmother I knew died when I was 5 years of age.  I was not a happy camper that day and ran outside crying my eyes out and wailing to the top of my lungs. Sure I missed her but Ma had lifted me up to Grandma's casket and made me kiss her goodbye  on the lips!  I did not want to do that  and protested why can't I touch her hand instead to say goodbye. I think this may have been the reason I disliked going to funerals for a very long time until I pulled up my bootstraps and said it was just silliness to feel so unkind. 
Grandma to me was a very strict person but later on it life I found out that my biological Grandfather used to beat her and their five children. Once so badly beaten Grandma called the police and he was locked up for many years. Apparently he had schizophrenic tendencies and of course little or no medical help was given in the early twenties. Grandma pulled up her bootstraps and became a telephone operator and raised her five children very well. They all grew up well rounded adults.  After her children all became adults Grandma remarried the most kindest man in the whole world and I knew him as Grandpa Roy. 
Grandma seemed to be the strict one in the family.  I only thought at the time because I was only five that she was strict because Ma had not taught me to sew. Another time I was scolded was because Grandma thought I did not hang up the towel on the inside bathroom towel rack. I protested that I did but the towel rack was way over my head. she asked me to show her and I marched into the bathroom stomping my feet and took the towel and jumped up as high as I could to get that towel up where it belonged. I could have sworn I heard a slight chuckle from her that day. The next day there was a little wooden foot stool placed under the towel rack so I would have no excuse not to hang the towel up proper like. 
 Once Grandma  asked Grandpa Roy  and I what kind if cake we wanted for dinner and I piped up chocolate, chocolate please.  Grandpa Roy said vanilla but you'll probably make chocolate. she shooed  us out of the kitchen and Grandpa Roy and I walked  down to the old country store to sit around the toasty black pot belly stove to chat with the fellers. I fell asleep over in the corner of the long brown wooden bench and soon I heard "Little Squirrel" wake up it's time to go see Grandmother. Now some of the fellers thought I was such a good little girl by being quiet that they gave me a bag of candy licorice. I took it and thanked them but decided not to say that I really did not like licorice  figuring I'd just give it to Grandpa Roy.
 Off we went back to Grandmas big green house with the beautiful flowers in the front yard and the giant vegetable garden in the backyard. There were blue morning glories covering the pristine double seat-er outhouse. Grandma was at the door and asked Grandpa Roy  to please take Penny,the little dog,  outside then for the two of us to come inside and wash up for dinner.
  After a delicious dinner Grandma  brought out the funny looking cake. It was a three layer round cake and the icing was vanilla on one side and chocolate on the other. First she cut a piece for Grandpa Roy: vanilla cake with vanilla icing. Then she cut a piece for me: chocolate cake with chocolate icing. We were both quite happy.
© 2011 Julia A Knaake

luvy that was truly funny...

I love stories about families

My mother in law, Teresa....what can I say?  She is a sweet funny lady of 82 years.  We have been close for almost two decades and she is over to our house once a month so that I can give her her injections.  She and my wife, Julieta, are extremely close and they chatter on the phone at least 2 or 3 times EVERY day and if Julie isn't home I chatter with her.

Well, Teresa is 82 years old and one would expect that, at that age, life's little aches and pains would bug you from time to time.  She came to visit us a month and a half ago and stayed.  No problem.....I love having her around and she was very ill.  She had extreme weakness and could hardly walk because she was so dizzy.  The local doctors said that it was gastric distress and if treated vigorously would go away.

It didn't go away so a couple of days ago I had Julie and our youngest son take her to the hospital for thorough testing.  She had to stay, of course, because some of the tests are complicated.

Yesterday, at home, Julieta received a call from the hospital.  Teresa has pancreatic cancer.  It is metastatic and her mother will die soon.  Julie cried non stop for 3 hours and I felt very sick to my stomach.  Neither of us could sleep last night and we went to the hospital today to see her.

Julie had not asked the doctors anything yesterday about Teresa's prognosis.  I sure did....today.  She doesn't have much time.  We shall care for at our house until she passes.  I am qualified to care for her as I was a licensed paramedic years ago.

This is not the first time I have cared for the terminally ill.  I treated my wife, Carol Jean, for many months before she died and was there for her in her last minutes.

I wonder if many know what this rips out of your soul?

I certainly do not know about what this does to rip out of your soul.

I worked in nursing homes many years and very few left to go back home.

I was close to some of the residents but not at all like you are with this in your home.

You are a very wonderful son in law and husband  to be caring for those that you love.

I know you and Julieta will make Teresa's last days peaceful and as comfortable as you can.

Thanks, guys, for your kind support.  I have observed that we all have more grit inside of us than we suspect.  Strength seems to come when we have no options.

Thank you P J and Lovy.....she died yesterday

Scott, I am sorry for you, Julieta and the  family's loss.

I am also so glad you were a good son-in-law helping her in the last days of her life.

Yes, Julia, Julie and I had a vela for mama at the Catholic Church in Golfito tonight.  A vela is a Costa Rican wake because the Ticos don't like funerals.  They want to get together in a huge group and talk about it.  Half of the pueblo showed up.  Mama looked so serene.  I took it for 6 hours and called a cab to take me back to Rio Claro.  I had had no sleep for 2 days, was stressed out of my mind and my shoes did not fit so I was starting to stagger.

It is sad when a loved one passes away

the memories of them linger for a long while

even going into years

Mama had a lot of friends at  the vela 

because she lived a long life and friends wanted to 

comfort Julie and you with respect for Mama

you did a lot so now it was right for you to go after 6 hours

am hoping Julie and family are finally  getting their rest also




© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service