TBD

TBD on Ning

Via internet stream you can listen to a variety of interesting music.

Google WQNA to find the stream. The show is called Fear and Loathing in Springfield and it airs 6 - 9PM CST on Sunday evenings.

It may uplift the downtrodden and down trod the uplifted. Some may faint, others may experience moments of rage and in some cases hilarity.

Views: 13379

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The problem there is not the ability to upload a big file - It's FB's reluctance to allow me to do so.

They don't mind millions of relatively short videos from YouTube, peppered all across their platform - But a four-hour-long block, in the exact same spot, once a week ? That they make zero money from ? That, they ain't so crazy about.

And I know better than to  ask advertisers if they'd like to get a piece of my sweet action - They go where they expect the LARGEST number of viewers....

Wonder how ol' hypocrite "Steve" is doing today. He's probably in a pink Polo shirt, dockers, and boat shoes, and sucking down Ex-Lax like candy. He probably has a comb-over and voted for the big Dump.

Ah, karma.

I totally agree that people need to be shown (or lead to) alternatives, and that most of the so-called upper middle class needs a good shaking.  Alternative music (for lack of a better descriptor)--hell, any kind of thing which is new and different--does scare the shit out of the hidebound. Too bad, in the case of music, it's so easy to push the "off" button. 

WQNA "Fear & Loathing in Springfield", February 25th, 2018...

"Hard Time Killing Floor" (Skip James), Fred Frith & Henry Kaiser, "With Enemies Like This, Who Needs Friends ?"
"Mystery Pain", the U-Men, "U-Men"
"Walking Again", Pere Ubu, "20 Years In A Montana Missile Silo"
"Day I Die", the National, "Sleep Well Beast"
"All For You", Superchunk, "What A Time To Be Alive'

"Down In The Hideyhole", JD Wilkes, "Fire Dream"

"I'd Rather Die Young" (the Hilltoppers) / "Candy Kisses" (George Morgan), Jason & the Scorchers, "Reckless Country Soul"
"Clam Chowder", the Sadies, "Precious Moments"

Album of the Week: Laurie Anderson with the Kronos Quartet, "Landfall"

"Solsbury Hill" (Peter Gabriel), Lou Reed, "...And I'll Scratch Yours"

"Here Comes The Flood" (Peter Gabriel), Robert Fripp, "Exposure"

"King Kong" (Max Steiner), the Sensational Alex Harvey Band, "The Best Of The Sensational Alex Harvey Band"

"When The Sun Goes Down" (Leroy Carr), Gary Clark Jr, "Live"
"I'm Just Your Fool" (Buddy Johnson & his Orchestra), the Rolling Stones, "Blue And Lonesome"

"Money (That's What I Want)" (Barrett Strong), James Blood Ulmer, "Memphis Blood: The Sun Sessions''

"Hey Sailor" (the Action), the Detroit Cobras, "Life, Love & Leaving"
"Sweet Little Sixteen" (Chuck Berry), Highway Matron, "Brown-Eyed Handsome Man: St. Louis Salutes Chuck Berry"

"Reelin' And Rockin'" (Chuck Berry), Johnny Winter, "Winter Essentials"

"Night Train" (Jimmy Forrest), Rev Organ Drum, "Hi-Fi Stereo"

"Jim Dandy" (LaVerne Baker & the Gliders), Sara Lee & the Spades, "Hot Boppin' Girls" Vol. VII

"Life" (Dr. John), AllenToussaint, "The Musical Mojo of Dr. John"
"Two Trains" (Little Feat), Allen Toussaint & Leo Noscentelli, "Rock n' Roll Doctor: A Tribute to Lowell George"

"Into The Mystic" (Van Morrison), Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit, "Live @ Twist & Shout"

"Get A Job" (the Silhouettes), Neil Young & Crazy Horse, "Americana"
"Don't Worry (About Me)" (Marty Robbins), Big Foot Chester, "The Devil In Me"

"She May Call You Up Tonight" (the Left Banke), the West coast Pop Art Experimental Band, "Volume One"
"Shambolor" (Sheriff & the Ravels), Cub Koda, "Abba Dabba Dabba"
"I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys" (the Rolling Stones), Reigning Sound, "Time Bomb High School"
"Baby, What You Want Me To Do ?" (Jimmy Reed), '68 Comeback, "Golden Rogues Collection"

"Tom Courtenay", Yo La Tengo, "Electr-O-Pura"
"I Can't Explain" (The Who), the Flamin' Groovies, "Grease: The Complete Skydog Collection"
"Hang On To Yourself" ("Arnold Corns" - Hah. Right.), Mutant Monster Beach Party, "Hero: The Mainman Records' Tribute to David Bowie"

"Pushin' Too Hard" (the Seeds), the Zeros, "Right Now !"
"The Beat Goes On" (No. 2) (Sonny & Cher), Giant Sand, "Cover Magazine''
"Rated X" (Loretta Lynn), Neko Case & the Sadies, "Making Singles, Drinking Doubles''

''Open Arms" (Journey), Low, "A Lifetime Of Temporary Relief"
"These Boots Are Made For Walking" (Nancy Sinatra), the Meteors, "Rockabilly & Psychobilly"
"The Girl Can't Help It" (Little Richard), Babes In Toyland, John Peel Session, 1995

"I'm So Glad" (Skip James), the Stooges, "Wild Love"

"Hallelujah" (Leonard Cohen), John Cale, "I'm Your Fan: The Songs of Leonard Cohen"

That's a great version of "Hard Time Killing Floor." 

About 10 years ago I ran across this guy on YouTube. He's a research chemist, I believe, and just plays for the love of it, recording in his apartment. He does a lot of blues and also bossa nova/samba (Jobim, etc.) Here's his version of HTKF from 8 years ago:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g254CZHsC4  If the recording could be cleaned up, here's a good one for Easter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTwxMwmxpYA&list=RDaTwxMwmxpYA&... 

Sometime could you work Morrison's "Someone Like You" into the show?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnVnIKTWhNs  One of the first love songs Draughn ever sent to me.

Man, so many good songs--I'll be spending a few hours listening to this playlist as I cobble it together on YouTube. Nice!

WQNA "Fear & Loathing in Springfield" set list, March 4th, 2018 - Oscars Edition

"Swan Lake" (Pyotr Tchaikovsky), Public Image Ltd, "Metal Box"
"Moonlight In Vermont" (John Blackburn / Karl Suessdorf), Jr. Walker & the All-Stars, "Soul Session"
"Exit Music For A Film", Radiohead, "OK Computer"
"At The Movies", Bad Brains, "Rock For Light"
"Dead Movie Stars", Wayne Kramer, "Dangerous Madness"
"Screenwriter's Blues", Soul Coughing, "Ruby Vroom"
"Show Biz Kids", Steely Dan, "Countdown To Ecstasy"
"Movie Theme", Beck, "The Information"
"Vaseline", Kid Congo Powers with King Khan, "Solo Cholo"

"Salt Peanuts", Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker, "Groovin' High"
"I Found A Peanut", Thee Midniters, "Thee Midniters Bring You Love Special Delivery"
"Cringemaker", Walter Becker, "11 Tracks Of Whack"
"Your Mind Is On Vacation", Mose Allison, "The Mose Chronicles, Live In London", Vol. 2
"Lazy Bird" (Take Two), John Coltrane, "Blue Train"

"Dawn: Making An Effort", the Breeders, "All Nerve"
"MX Liberty", Thurston Moore, 2018 Single
"Hey Little Fascist", Backwards Day, "...While There's Still Time"
"Never Been In A Riot", the Mekons, "Punk Rock"
"MBF", Akron/Family, "Set 'Em Wild, Set 'Em Free"
"Black Thread", Superchunk, "What A Time To Be Alive"

"Someday", Steve Earle & the Dukes, "Shut Up And Die Like An Aviator"
"Compassion", David Baerwald, "Here Comes The New Folk Underground"
"My Autumn's Done Come" (Lee Hazlewood / Susie Jane Hokom), Mark Morriss, "Son-Of-A-Gun and more from the Lee Hazlewood Songbook"
"Redwing Blackbird", the Ben Miller Band, "Choke Cherry Tree"
"The Horseshoe", the Sadies, "Tales Of The Rat Fink" Original Soundtrack

"The Night Is Coming Down", the Dim Stars, "Dim Stars"
"Estrogen Oxygen (Aches In The Teeth Again)", Loudermilk, 2002 Single
"The Antlers Of The Midnight Sun", Comets On Fire, "Blue Cathedral"
"Sister Disaster", the BellRays, "The Red, White and Black"
"Medicine Show", the Dream Syndicate, "Medicine Show"

"Happy Talk" (Rodgers & Hammerstein), NRBQ, "Happy Talk"
"High Heel Sneakers" (Tommy Tucker), Terry Adams and Steve Ferguson, "Louisville Sluggers"

"I'm Walkin'" (Fats Domino), Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, "Goin' Home: A Tribute to Fats Domino"
"So You Want To Be A Rock n' Roll Star" (the Byrds), Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, "Pack Up The Plantation"

The "Peter Gunn" Theme (Ray Anthony & His Orchestra), Jeff Beck, "Rock 'n' Roll Party Celebrating Les Paul"
"Fight Fire" (the Golliwogs), Southern Culture On The Skids, "Countrypolitan Favorites"
"Sookie Sookie" (Don Covay & the Goodtimers), Iggy Pop, "Back To The Streets: Celebrating The Music Of Don Covay"

"Psycho" (the Sonics), the Nomads, "Showdown ! (1981-1993)"
"Boss Hoss" (the Sonics), the New Original Sonic Sound, "The New Original Sonic Sound"
"Leaving Here" (Eddie Holland), the Sonics, "This Is The Sonics"

"Satellite Of Love" (Lou Reed), Neko Case, Howe Gelb and a cast of dozens, "MARS" Original Soundtrack
"Enlightenment" (Sun Ra & the Arkestra), Travis Shook & Club Wow, "Wavelength Infinity: The Sun Ra Tribute"
"Rocket # 9" (Sun Ra & the Arkestra), Yo La Tengo, 1997 Single

"The Walk" (Jimmy McCracklin), the Inmates, "First Offence"
"Teenage Head" (the Flamin' Groovies), Roy Loney, "Fast And Loose"

"Let's Spend The Night Together" (the Rolling Stones), Muddy Waters, "Electric Mud"
"Ruby Tuesday" (the Rolling Stones), the Lucky Sperms, "Somewhat Humorous"

"Sea Cruise" (Frankie Ford), Yo La Tengo, "Yo La Tengo Is Murdering The Classics"
"Rock On" (David Essex), the Tater Totz, "Mono ! Stereo !"
"Turn To Stone" (Joe Walsh), Rhyton, "Redshift"
"Heartbreak Hotel" (Elvis Presley), Mick Farren, "To The Masterlock: Live In Japan 2004"

"All By Myself" (Eric Carmen), Babes In Toyland, "Nemesisters"
"Blue Suede Shoes" (Carl Perkins), Lemmy and the Upsetters, "The Last Temptation Of Elvis"
"Slow Down" (Larry Williams), the Lazy Cowgirls, "Radio Cowgirl"
"If I Had A Hammer" (the Weavers), King Uszniewicz & the UszniewiczTones, "Doin' The Woo-Hoo"
"Seasons In The Sun" (Terry Jacks) / "The Hustle" (Van McCoy), the Squirrels, "20 More Explosive Rockin' Mega Smash Hit Explosions !"

"We are ALL going to Reseda." I have no doubt of it. All souls end up in Los Angeles.

And I really am feeling my Autumn's done come. I'm letting my stomach hang out as I write. Relief. :>)

Although I'm loving your posts, I'm feeling crappy that you're doing the work when it looks like I'm the only one seeing it. I wrote to a few of the old guard when you started posting again--Slayer Dug, Funes, Teebub,etc.--but it looks like they've left the building. So, I'll get it if you decide to stop posting.

Off to YouTube to listen.

Thanks, Snagg.

Yer welcome.

I was HOPING for a few more new CD's to play last night - New BellRays, Henry Kaiser doing an other-worldly reading of "Rock On", The Men, blah blah blah - But Amazon Prime failed miserably. Consarned razzerfrazzin' peckeratin'......

Anyway - Some surgery tomorrow. Not sure if I'll be there next Sunday, or even the Sunday after that. Time will tell.....

P.S.: That last batch of covers, just might be the most abrasive, appalling and funniest brace of assaultive racket I've done in a loooong time. I don't know if you listened all the way to the end, but if you didn't, and are rooting around on YouTube - Gird thy loins, pilgrim. It ain't for sissies.

Babes in Toyland did my favorite version of that namby-pamby pap. Just as it should be--bottle in hand after popping a couple of something, nose and mascara running, screaming into nothingness. HaHa! I know, I've been there--or, at least, a more trippy, psychedelic version of it.

As a nod to my hippie past, I had to sing along with "If I Had A Hammer." I nearly split a gut laughing. Perfect.

I hope your surgery goes perfectly tomorrow, Snagg. I don't really pray, but I'll mumble a little and send some positive psychic blasts your way.  Kidding aside, I'll be thinking of you, wishing you well.

See you when I see you. :>)

I hope all went well with your surgery, Snagg, and that you're well on your way to recovery.

You probably know about this album--Eddie Kramer, et al., just released "Both Sides of the Sky," which is another compilation of Hendrix' unreleased tracks--mostly jams. On NPR I heard what may be the first recording of "Woodstock," directly after Stephen Stills snagged Jimi excitedly and told him he had hear this new song by Joni. Hendrix plays bass, letting Stills do his thang. Cool. And  I heard "Hear My Train A Comin'," which was--elemental. Might be worth checking out.

Continuing to send healing vibes.

Surgery went off without a hitch - It's the healing that is a pain in the ass. Doc predicts a minimum of six months before I'm back to whatever shape I was in before the surgery - Although I expect to be back at 'QNA much sooner than that. I've got other people's musical tastes to warp and offend, dammit.....

I got the Hendrix last week - The jam with Johnny Winter is my favorite so far....

As for "Cherokee Mist", well...I'm not sure that even Hendrix could have gotten away with something like that in this ultra-sensitive day and age.

My favorite new release is the new David Byrne, "American Utopia" - He's working with Brian Eno again, and Byrne is clearly getting some things off his chest. Gone are the latin and Brazilian pop experiments, as well as the attempts at Broadway and musical theater - This is bracing, solid, cockeyed stuff. It ain't "Remain In Light", but it's his best solo album in twenty years.

He was on Colbert last week; It's worth looking up, both for his gonzo interview and the musical performance - Which reminded me of the one time I've actually seen Byrne, which was during the "Everything Happens Today" tour.

I'm so glad the surgery went well! But, arrrgh, six months. Whatever the recovery period, I'm assuming it fixed something important and you'll be better off for the pain/inconvenience. Bodies can be such a nuisance. I'll keep sending good thoughts for a really quick recovery.

I haven't heard any more of the Hendrix album yet, but I look forward to hearing both tracks you mentioned. 

Wooooowhooo! Byrne is back. And glad to know he's working with Eno again. As you suggested, I went to YouTube and watched Colbert. It really tickled me that Byrne was compiling a list of "reasons to be cheerful" under the Trump Administration. I said to myself, "see--our ADD brains are good for something." I did get a little motion sick watching his head turn. Haha.

I saw Talking Heads several times beginning in '82, I believe, at the Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD.  Ironically, I attended what may have been the very concert Colbert missed at UVA (my long-time lover's alma mater). It was a BLAST! Charlottesville was such a wild university town then--probably in direct reaction to all that Southern conservative BS--that the audience ramped it up to 100. I never saw Byrne solo, sadly, although I didn't really mind missing the REI MOMO tour. 

I iz RISEN !!!

Or something. That came out wrong. So to speak.

WQNA "Fear & Loathing in Springfield" Easter Holocaust, April 1st, 2018....

"What A Friend We Have In Jesus, Revisited", Hal Willner, "Whoops ! I'm An Indian"
"Easter Theater", XTC, "Apple Venus"
"The Lord Doesn't Want You", The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown, "Strangelands"
"God's Away On Business", Tom Waits, "Blood Money"
"Easter Woman", the Residents, "Commercial Album"
"In Heaven", Dick Stusso, "In Heaven"

"They Can't Believe He's Risen Again", Gary Lucas, "Bad Boys Of The Arctic"
"Watermelon In Easter Hay", Frank Zappa, "Joe's Garage"
"Easter Egg Hunt", Bill Wolford, "Head"

"The Indifference Of Heaven", Warren Zevon, "Mutineer"
"Have You Seen My Son ?", Benjamin Booker, "Benjamin Booker''
"Dark Was The Night, Cold Was the Ground", Blind Willie Johnson, "Dark Was The Night"
"Jesus - The Missing Years", John Prine, "The Missing Years"

"Gloria" / "In Excelsis Deo", Patti Smith, "Horses"
"Let The Bells Ring", Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, "Abattoir Blues"
"Easter", the Patti Smith Group, "Easter"

"JC Auto", Sugar, "Beaster"
"Monkey Gone To Heaven", the Pixies, "At The BBC"
"The Ascension", Glenn Branca, "The Ascension'

"Easter", Bill Hicks, "Rant in E Minor"
"Jesus Is Just Alright With Me" (The Art Reynolds Singers), El Vez, "God Save The King - 25 Years Of El Vez"

"I Think He's Hiding", Randy Newman, "Randy Newman"

"April Fools", Ronnie Lane, "Live In Austin"

"A Little Honey", Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats, "Tearing At The Seams"
"Every Chance I Get", the BellRays, "Funk Punk Rock Soul", Vol. 2
"Friction", Shame, "Songs Of Praise"
"Buddy Ebsen Loves The Night Life", Los Lobos, "Colossal Head"
"Ice Station Zebra", Jack White, "Boarding House Reach"

"Serpent Tongue", the Messthetics, "The Messthetics"
"Debaser", the Pixies, "Doolittle"
"Final Prayer", The Men, "Drift"
"See My Field", Guided by Voices, "Space Gun"
"Jericho Sirens", Hot Snakes, "Jericho Sirens"

''Nameless, Faceless", Courtney Barnett, 2018 single
"All Nerve", the Breeders, "All Nerve"
"Shades Of Blue", Yo La Tengo, "There's A Riot Goin' On"

"Drinkin' Wine Spo-Dee-O-Dee" (Stick McGhee), the Pirates, "Don't Munchen It"
"13 Women (And One Man In Town)" (Dickie Thompson), Cub Koda, "Abba Dabba Dabba"
"Don't You Just Know It" (Huey 'Piano' Smith & the Clowns), Dr. Feelgood, "Down By The Jetty"
"Lucille" (Little Richard), World Party, "Arkeology"

"Mary Ann" (Ray Charles), Mike Bloomfield & Al Kooper, "The Live Adventures Of Mike Bloomfield And Al Kooper"
"Shotgun" (Jr Walker & the All Stars), Los Lobos, "American Me" soundtrack
"The Dark End Of The Street" (James Carr), Mud Boy & the Neutrons, "Negro Streets At Dawn"
"The Inner Light" (the Beatles), Jimmy McGriff & Junior Parker, "Good Things Don't Happen Every Day"

"Strawberry Fields Forever" (the Beatles), Trap The Clown, "Boston Does The Beatles"
"From Me To You" (the Beatles), King Uszniewicz & the UszniewiczTones, "Doin' The Woo Hoo !"

"Get Ready" (the Temptations), Giant Sand, "The Love Songs"
"Temptation Eyes" (the Grass Roots), the Replacements, "Let It Be"
"Just My Imagination" (the Temptations), the Charmers, "Trojan Soulful Reggae"

"I Can't Explain" (The Who), the Flamin' Groovies, "Grease - The Complete Skydog Collection"
"Hombre Secreto" (Johnny Rivers / the Plugz), Matthew Sweet, "A tribute to 'Repo Man' "

"Somethin' Stupid" (Frank and Nancy Sinatra), the Smithereens w/ Marti Jones, "Attack Of The Smithereens"

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service