TBD

TBD on Ning

Do you bake from scratch or from a box???

What's your culinary skill level on a scale of 1-10?

Out of necessity I'm learning to cook and really enjoying it...especially baking. Send tips or recipes

BTW I made the cake below.....cream cheese pound cake

This is now Bob Stepp's recipe exchange.....share your secrets!!!!  not off the back of a Betty Crocker box!!

Tags: cakespiescookies, followtherecipe, friedanything, hostesscupcakes, littledebbieblech

Views: 101

Replies to This Discussion

Made blackberry buttermilk pancakes from scratch this morning, as a matter of fact. None of that satanic Bisquick stuff in this household, No Sir.

I invented a chicken / peas / fried rice with Thai fish sauce and cilantro that smells like sauteeing gym socks, yet tastes delicious - I really can't explain it. And you had best not get between it and my daughter, lest ye be annihilated.

My fiancee keeps trying to get me to enter my Chicken Pot Pie of Death at the State Fair, but I can't be bothered. The secret is in the crust, and I sure as hell ain't gonna tell you what the secret is.

Some day I will share with you the recipe for The Legendary Pepper Dip that has opened many doors that would have otherwise remained closed to me - But not just yet. None of you are really prepared. None of you are Ready. Hell, I ain't even allowed at family reunions unless I bring the shit with me. It's that good.

I really can cook, although I don't do it as much as I used to - For various reasons.
Come ON! Give up the Legendary Pepper Dip recipe!

NOW!
You must share that recipe or you won't be allowed back on this site.
Jaylee said she would share carmelized onion/goat cheese spread if you would send that Pepper recipe
omg! forget 'sending'! That's not fair! JAYLEE - post the carmelized onion & goat cheese spread recipe! I'll even ship you genuine Vidalia onions, from Vidalia, GA to make it with!
Well, if it comes down to not preventing Jaylee from spreading the gustatory love...

Okay. The funny thing about this recipe is that it doesn't sound like it should work one iota - But it does. Oh, very much so.

2 pkgs plain cream cheese, room temp
1 14 oz jar pickled hot peppers (Banana Peppers are best. Hot or Mild, depending on your personal wimp factor.)
3 or 4 green onions
1 RED bell pepper. Green don't cut it. Too grassy. RED.
2 stalks celery
Orange or yellow bell peppers (Optional)
Okay, here's where it gets weird:
Apple jelly
Orange marmalade
Hot Pepper jelly (Optional)
Pineapple preserves (Optional)
Reserved pickling juice from the banana peppers

I find that fixing this in a food processor is the best way to go, by the way.

!) Roughly chop banana peppers; Drain.
2) Roughly chop red bell pepper. Drain.
2.5) (Optional) Roughly chop Orange and Yellow bell peppers. Drain. (Amount of these to add to dip should equal 1 pepper, including the Red bell.)
3) Roughly chop green onions.
4) Roughly chop celery.
5) Place cream cheese, 1 to 2 tbsp. Apple jelly, 1 to 2 tbsp. Orange marmalade and 1 tbsp. pickling juice into a food processor. (Now would also be the time to add the Hot Pepper jelly and/or pineapple preserves. Your preference.) Blend until well-combined and smooth. Adjust to taste.
6) Add all vegetables. Pulse until combined and chunky. Do not puree'.
&) Allow an hour or so in the refrigerator for flavors to marry. Serve with fresh veggies or Fritos. Very good with cherry tomatoes.
mmm mm mmm.....

thanks for giving it up, Snagg.
I done my part. Jaylee better cough up that onion & cheese recipe...
I've already copied & stored yours in my Recipe folder.

Jaylee? Where's that carmelized onion & cheese dip recipe? Give it up!
I'll remind her tonight...
Jeez....talk about peer pressure.....!
Caramelized Onion Dip

2 large sweet onions, coarsely chopped
2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon ground thyme or poultry seasoning (preferred)
salt and fresh ground black pepper (heavy)
1 tin (2oz) flat anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
½ cup chopped pitted black olives
2 containers (5oz) garlic and herb cheese, such as Boursin
Chopped fresh chives for garnish
Pita chips

Preheat oven to 500º

Toss onions with oil, thyme, salt and pepper. Combine with anchovies and place on a shallow cooking sheet. Roast 20min, turning once. Transfer onions to a food processor and process with olives and cheese until smooth. Adjust seasonings, transfer to a bowl and garnish with lots of chopped chives.

I found this best served at room temperature.

Don't tell anyone about the anchovies...they'll just make a funny face and go eeewwwwww.

I will try the pepper dip....that does sound delicious....
I have a short attention span for almost anything that I'm not obsessed by. That said, my favorite recipe is for salmon . Just rub with olive oil and sprinkle it with sweet carribean jerk seasoning and broil/bake/ keep an eye on it until it's done. But just about any protien that I bake, broil or grill gets coated with olive oil. I've altered my zuchinni bread and banana bread recipes to use olive oil and wheat germ and remember with the bananas to wait until they smell like candy and with the zuchinni bread to great an extra 1/2 cup or so of the zuchinni to put into it and squeeze out the extra juice. Makes it very moist. I'm terrible with pie crusts. If you can , grow your own parsley and chives. And check out old cooking books. I have one from the 30s that is so cute and really informative.
Thanks for all the recipes and tips, ya'll.....keep 'em coming.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service