TBD

TBD on Ning

GOP Lawmaker Says Climate Change Is 'The Greatest Deception In The History Of Mankind'

Posted: 06/30/2014 7:17 pm EDT Updated: 4 hours ago
Print Article

Louisiana state Rep. Lenar Whitney (R) is accusing liberals, such as former Vice President Al Gore, of advancing "the greatest deception in the history of mankind" -- man-made climate change -- in a scheme to empower the executive branch and increase taxes.

“A specter is haunting America,” Whitney, who is running for Congress in Louisiana’s 6th Congressional District, warned in a campaign video released Wednesday. “It is perhaps the greatest deception in the history of mankind.”

Mocking Gore’s 2006 Academy Award–winning climate change documentary, "An Inconvenient Truth,” Whitney claimed that the planet "has done nothing but get colder each year since the film’s release.”

“Quite inconveniently for Al Gore, and for the rest of the politicians who continue to advance this delusion, any 10-year-old can invalidate their thesis with one of the simplest scientific devices known to man: a thermometer,” Whitney said, citing record sea ice in the Antarctic sector.

Numerous GOP lawmakers and climate change contrarians have pointed to below-zero temperatures and seasonal snowfall as evidence against the legitimacy of human-induced climate change, despite numerous scientific reports debunking their claims.

Although many parts of the U.S. witnessed record-low temperatures this past winter, atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations are still rising, winters have become increasingly warmer over the past century and Arctic sea ice is still melting.

Whitney’s own state is one of the most vulnerable regions in the country to climate change, with rising coastal sea levels estimated to submerge the Louisiana coastline by 2100.

Views: 537

Replies to This Discussion

Their war against abortion is a war against the Constitutional Rights of all who do not believe as they do.

And yet they have the audacity to claim they are fighting to uphold the Constitution.

Where is that one, pray tell?

I guess Louisiana will find out soon enough.

Saul Loeb/AFP/Getty

Patricia Murphy

Politics

Sam Brownback’s Kansas Catastrophe

The Kansas Governor should be cruising to re-election and fending off 2016 rumors. Instead, he’s behind in the polls as “Brownbackistan” falls apart.

Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback should be coasting to re-election this fall.  The soft-spoken son of a Kansas pig farmer is the conservative governor of a deep red state, and he’s running in a year when Republicans will likely have a national advantage over Democrats. Instead, Brownback is now fighting for political survival in what his detractors call the theocratic dictatorship of “Brownbackistan.”

If Brownbackistan were running surpluses with essential services humming along, the governor would probably be fending off rumors of a 2016 presidential run. Instead, he is locked in a tight race with the House Minority Leader Paul Davis, who led Brownback by 6 points in a recent SurveyUSA poll and has been endorsed by more than 100 current and former Republican officials. Last week, the Cook Political Report moved the November contest from a likely Republican win to a pure toss-up.

Wint Winter, a former state senator who has known Brownback since he was 14, is one of the Republicans backing Davis.

“I had hoped that it wouldn’t be as extreme as it’s been,” Winter told The Daily Beast of Brownback’s tenure. “I knew from Sam’s time in the Senate that he had a passionate affection for social issues, but what we didn't know was that Sam would use this state as crash test dummies for his own fiscal experiments.  We have people in our group who are moved by different issues, but all of them come back to the fact that Sam did not have the right to use Kansas as an experiment.”

The experiment that Winter referred to is a sweeping income tax cut plan that Brownback enacted in 2011, which eliminated income taxes for small businesses, cut the highest income tax rates by 25 percent, and made smaller cuts for people with lower rates.  Brownback has also signed bills cutting state budgets, declared that life begins “at fertilization,” and created an “Office of the Repealer” to eliminate state laws, regulations and agencies. He’s also ended guaranteed teacher tenure, and narrowed eligibility for welfare and Medicaid.

“There are three parties in Kansas—the Republican Party, the Democratic Party, and the Brownback Party.”

The tax cuts have come at a particularly steep price. The Wall Street Journal reported that tax collections fell by $685 million in the first 11 months of the fiscal year, putting Kansas on track to blow through its $700 million reserve fund by the middle of next year.

Brownback has insisted that he’ll make up future shortfalls with economic growth, but with 40 percent of state revenue traditionally coming from those taxes and no specific plan to make up the shortfall, Moody’s Investor Service recently downgraded the state’s debt rating. In their decision, Moody’s cited both the tax cuts and a state Supreme Court decision that found that Brownback and the legislature had cut funding for schools unfairly and too deeply in 2011, and would have to find budget savings elsewhere.

In 2011, Jim Yonally, another former Republican state legislator backing Davis, started Traditional Republicans for Common Sense, a group of more than 70 current and former GOP officials, when he said he saw Brownback taking the state in what Yonelly thought was the wrong direction.

“I'm really disturbed by continued reduction in funding for education in Kansas,” he said.  “I was a poor boy who grew up on a farm in Kansas but was able to scrape enough together to get a college degree. Today if a kid has enough money to go to college, he almost has enough money to start a business and do without school. I don’t think that’s good for our state.”

Polling shows that the education question is hurting Brownback the most. For the plurality of voters who list education as their top issue in the SurveyUSA poll, Brownback loses to Davis 73 percent to 19 percent. That same poll showed one in four registered Republicans defecting to Davis.

While Brownback has technically increased money spent on education, the increases have gone to legally required obligations to shore up the state’s teacher retirement system. Per-pupil funding has fallen and cuts in local schools have alarmed teachers and parents. The Wichita Eagle reported that individual schools have eliminated everything from high school librarians to kindergarten activity funding to janitor positions, leaving some teachers to vacuum their classrooms after recess.

Despite the cuts and complaints, Brownback told MSNBC’s Chuck Todd he has no regrets over the tax cuts and promised to “hit the accelerator” on more of the same kinds of policies in a second term. “It's really starting to work the way we hoped it would,” Brownback said.

Above and beyond his policies, a final piece of Brownback’s tenure that could come back to haunt him in November was a decision to campaign against moderate Republican legislators in 2012. The result has been what local politicians call a “cleansing” of the existing Republican ranks, and an all-out battle within the state among Tea Party Republicans and the older school moderates.

“To say the there's a split in the Republican Party is to give the banana split a bad name,” said Winter. “There are three parties in Kansas- the Republican Party, the Democratic Party, and the Brownback Party. He has in effect created his own party.”

Between the looming budget shortfall, the education cuts, the Republican family feud, and an ongoing FBI investigation into former Brownback loyalists, the Cook Political Report’s Jennifer Duffy says that Brownback is weighed down in a year that he should be winning easily.

“Kansas is probably the last state I thought I’d put in the toss-up column,” Duffy told the Beast.  “It's not about the political environment, it's not about the political landscape, it's about Brownback and the actions he took.”

When will the people learn to not vote for crazy people?

when will some people learn and really comprehend who the crazy ones are?

Yeah that may be a problem. Not everybody is as smart as us.

Border Sheriffs Perplexed by Rick Perry's Plan to Send 1,000 Troops to Stare at Mexico

The Atlantic Wire
Border Sheriffs Perplexed by Rick Perry's Plan to Send 1,000 Troops to Stare at Mexico

View photo

Why would you spend millions of dollars sending troops to the border who can't actually detain anyone? That's what some Texas sheriffs of border towns are asking in the wake of Gov. Rick Perry's plan to send 1,000 National Guards members to the Texas/Mexico border in the next month, according to the Dallas Morning News. For them, it would be more useful to spend the money on hiring more deputies and police, aka people who are allowed to detain migrants. 

“I don’t know what good they can do,” Cameron County Sheriff Omar Lucio told the Dallas Morning News. “You just can’t come out here and be a police officer.” Lucio and other sheriffs said they weren't consulted before Perry's announcement and, in Lucio's opinion, the police and Border Patrol agents were handling the small uptick in crime. "At this time, a lot of people do things for political reasons. I don’t know that it helps,” Lucio said.

This isn't the first time people have questioned the wisdom of sending National Guard troops to the border. In 2010, President Obama sent over 1,000 troops to the border. They weren't allowed to pursue or detain immigrants, "or investigate crimes, make arrests, stop and search vehicles, or seize drugs," The Washington Post reported in 2011. "Nor do they check Mexico-bound vehicles for bulk cash or smuggled weapons headed to the drug cartels." Basically, they keep watch and radio in any suspicious activity. Critics also argued that the National Guard's help cost an estimated $6,271 per person caught. 

But defenders of sending the guard argue they are a deterrent. In the upcoming deployment, guard officials said they would have some medical training and be supplied with water. Still, the most immediate reward is political, and as The New York Times noted, Perry stands the most to gain for being tough on the border.

In 2012, one of his major gaffes was calling people "heartless" for panning his plan to give undocumented students in-state tuition. This time around he won't make the same mistake. “Drug cartels, human traffickers and individual criminals are exploiting this tragedy for their own criminal opportunities,” Perry said Monday. “I will not stand idly by while our citizens are under assault, and little children from Central America are detained in squalor.”

The glasses don't seem to be making him any smarter.

actually i was thinking it will end up looking like the bundy ranch or a teaparty rally...just a bunch of guys standing around showing off their guns...now if he declared martial law, they would have the authority to detain people....but then it would look like a power grab which is what they keep accusing obama of doing...and perry just a week ago accused obama of paying the coyotes as much as 4,000 federal dollars per head to smuggle in the illegals...he has trouble trying to have a consistant and cohesive presentation of rick's world without exposing the blatant contradictions in the concepts...things like enforce the laws...but we don't wanna pay for detention...and states rights and texas should secede but the federal govt should base airtankers in texas to protect us from wildfires...it's an endless list

so how much is it a week to have lookeeloos?

General: Guard to take observation role at border

A member of the National Guard checks on his colleague inside a Border Patrol Skybox near the Hidalgo International Bridge in Hidalgo, Texas.

AP 4 hr ago By CHRISTOPHER SHERMAN of Associated Press

tweet

email

Texas Adjutant General John Nichols told The Associated Press on Tuesday that the troops will help deter illicit traffic amid a record spike of unaccompanied minors crossing the border. Republican Gov. Rick Perry announced the Guard's involvement Monday.

Nichols says troops will be armed for their safety. They will try to avoid detaining people and instead refer people to state troopers. State troopers could arrest people for a state crime or call Border Patrol if they entered the country illegally.

Nichols says training begins immediately to cover scenarios such as immigrant children turning themselves in.

Rep. Curt Clawson Mistakes U.S. Officials For Indian Nationals, Awkwardness Ensues

Posted: 07/25/2014 5:07 pm EDT Updated: 07/25/2014 5:59 pm EDT
Print Article
Rep. Curt Clawson, R-Fla., smiles after a ceremonial swearing-in with Speaker of the House John Boehner, R-Ohio, and his mother, Cherie Clawson, left, at the Capitol in Washington, Wednesday, June 25, 2014. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

Rep. Curt Clawson (R-Fla.) addressed what he believed were two members of the Indian government at a House hearing on Thursday and assured them that, as a U.S. representative, he would support all efforts to facilitate a better relationship between America and "your country" and "your government."

There was only one problem. The officials testifying before the House Asia and Pacific subcommittee weren't Indian officials at all, but two senior members of the U.S. government.

Nisha Biswal and Arun Kumar are Indian-Americans who serve as assistant secretary of state for South and Central Asian affairs and assistant secretary and director general of the United States and Foreign Commercial Service, respectively.

Clawson, who succeeded former Rep. Trey Radel (R-Fla.), continued on by heaping praise upon India while addressing Biswal and Kumar, apparently unaware of his confusion.

"I'm familiar with your country; I love your country," the freshman congressman said. "Anything I can do to make the relationship with India better, I'm willing and enthusiastic about doing so."

"Just as your capital is welcome here to produce good-paying jobs in the U.S., I'd like our capital to be welcome there," he added. "I ask cooperation and commitment and priority from your government in so doing. Can I have that?"

I loved the lady's reply, "You'll have to ask someone in the Indian Government ...."

I would have crawled under the table, that shithead didn't even blink lol...

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service