TBD

TBD on Ning

Dostoevsky. Crime and Punishment. I read it as a kid, then picked it up again on this trip. (This time son was reading it.) Absolutely rivetting. 

I just finished Infidel (what a brave woman!) and was ready to start on Satanic Verses (S. Rushdie) before I was diverted. Next I just MUST re-read The Brothers Karamazov. Theres a reason this stuff is classical.

What about you? What's in your reading pile?

Tags: books, education, entertainment, reading

Views: 835

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I red "On the Road" in the early 60's. I think. Who knows? I do remember that it was pretty unusual and inspiring to a young guy who did a lot of hitch hiking and driving cross country.

I also read "Catch 22" around that time. Still think it is the best book ever written. I've read it a couple times since.

"Thud" by Terry Pratchett

The last Pratchett book I read was Going Postal.

I read most of The Colour of Magic, but couldn't get into it, I haven't read any of the other "discworld" books.

Did you ever read any of Jack Chalker's Sci-Fi. The Well World series was great.
I'm reading Connemara by Tim Robinson.  I like it. The descriptions of the old ways of Ireland are poetic and a nice escape. Soothing.
I'm reading a Roy Blount Jr. book.  Alphabet Juice.
I'm reading The Girl Who Played with Fire, the second in Stieg Larsson's Millenium series; the sequel to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. In fact, I've planned on picking it up for the last half hour, but I've been hanging around these halls instead.
"The Soros Lectures At The Central European University" Very interesting. Gives me amunition with which I can piss off Tool and all his buddies.

Hi, Robbie. Are you speaking English up there?

...who is Tool? ...who are his buddies? ....ammunition? ...why do you care about p!ssing them off? ...where is The Central European University? ...what are the Soros Lectures? ...you know what? nm. ;-P

Maricel, Thanks for posting this. However, In order to fully understand this lecture I think you would need to know what he talked about in the first two lectures. Here he refers to Reflexivity. That is defined in Lecture number 1. And there are other references that might mislead if one was not aware of the information provided in the first two lectures. Fortunately all five are available in one small book. It is also available as an e-book.

Deez,

Tool referes to #1toolmaker and the right wing participants in "We The People".

I'm definitely out of the tool/buddies/right wing/ammunitions needing/Soros Lectures/Central European University loop.

I was, and still am, a passionate "wing nut" - I even turned Ducatiman on to The West Wing. We just finished the first season - how awesome that there are 6 more seasons to watch w/him!

And I campaigned for our President.

I'm guessing those 2 things would label me a villain by that guy who makes tools & his buddies.

And probably keep me on your 'friends list'. That's really all I need to know. '-)

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service