TBD

TBD on Ning

I just got a message about someone who went to my high school and how her son needs $12k to retrieve his belongings from a moving company who told him it would  be 6K.  It's from outside the country.  My better judgement says not to donate any money, due to him not getting a contract with specifics.  What do you think?

Views: 59

Replies to This Discussion

Just the fact that you are asking the question means that you have some doubt.  Trust your instinct.  It sounds fishy to me, but I don't give to any GoFundMe account...they've become selective on who they accept.

I just couldn't trust that one, something up.

It sounds fishy to me too and I wouldn't get involved. Usually people with this problem usually contact a local news station.

I agree with what at been said. Something's off.

Fishy

There was a news story on this happening to people. From what they said it's not unusual . In fact one of my friends at work hired a local moving company that wouldn't even start till she paid them and they were suppose to bring everything into the apt. and put it in the room that was written on the box and set up the bedroom furniture. They took the stuff in the apt and piled everything in the living room and left. She had to crawl over things to even get into the other rooms.

Then with that being said do what speaks to your heart. Also if you can't really afford it don't do it. You shouldn't have to struggle to help anyone out. I'm sure these people have never given you money so don't feel obligated to help them.

"Outside the country" is the tip off. Sounds like a sucker bet...no, no, and no.

I wasn't asking to donate, because I don't have money to donate, especially to someone I don't know.  I don't like those go fund me type things either but I think to put that on a high school website isn't right.  I'm wondering how this person got into the closed group.  I think many of them are scams.  Some people genuinely need help but this one just don't make any sense.  

They had a thing on the news- that the person starting the go fund me gets a % too.

Count me out.

Some Go Fund Me requests are legit and worth it. Why would they need 12k if the company told him it would be 6K? This is a request I would ignore because something seems fishy.

We have never donated to a go fund me. Josi is paranoid about the security of her financial data online and I have not been impressed by the worth of a lot of these projects. And some are surely scams.  That being said, we have one here locally that has us thinking. A house on our street, about a half mile east of us, burned down early morning New Years Day. A young woman and 5 year old son perished, while the father and another son escaped. A go fund me for them was set up with a target of $10,000. It has already surpassed $140,000.

I've donated 20 a few times to either someone I know or someone I know is friends with them. This one person at work needed one of those wheelchairs with the motor. Her husband started a go fund me account. The very day I donated 20 he posted that they picked up pizza on the way home from work. I was kind of pissed because I thought if you are asking for money then don't go out to eat. That's all they ever got from me.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service