TBD

TBD on Ning

Here we go, the year sure goes fast, doesn't it!  So... in this thread, let's list our ONE favorite book that we read in 2012.  Okay, fine, LOL, since this is our last hurrah over here, if you absolutely can't narrow it down to ONE, you may include one more.  Yes, I'm mean.  ;-)  I'll also start another thread for our WORST reads in 2012, same stipulations will hold over there.  

My best read of 2012 was The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton.  It was an unexpected pleasure, when I first started it I had my doubts as to how much I'd like it, but by the time I finished it, I was sad that I was done.

Views: 87

Smiling as, if I recall, Barb, you didn't like Kate Morton's Distant Hours.   Goes to show that none of us like all of an author's offerings! 

Choosing a best is difficult but will go with:  THE TIME KEEPER by Mitch Albom

followed by  THE LIGHT BETWEEN OCEANS  by M. L. Stedman

P.S.  I would have added THE ROUND HOUSE by Louise Erdrich but I'm still reading it. :)

Reply by grammyk on December 15, 2012 at 9:33pm

Flight Behavior by Barbarra Kingsolver.  I'll leave it at that, since I have several "               second place" books from this year.

Reply by Ursula on December 15, 2012 at 9:59pm

This is so difficult because I have 4 books with top ratings this year, but then I realized I hadn't included the book that literally swept me away, so I vote for M L Stedman's The Light Between the Oceans.

Thanks Rapa for the reminder!!

Reply by Carci on December 15, 2012 at 10:17pm

I've known for some time that The Light between Oceans would get my vote for best of the year... 

Since there aren't so many of us posting this year I'll also include Doc by Mary Doria Russell as a runner-up.  A surprise for me since I didn't really expect to like a book about Doc Holiday...

My favorite free Kindle book this year was Don't Let Me Go... a sweet story about an agoraphobic and the neglected young girl who befriends him... and how they help each other.

Reply by Tomereader on December 16, 2012 at 12:52pm

Carci, I also got the free "Don't Let Me Go" on my Kindle.  I loved it.  Wish they'd make a movie of it.  Very sweet book!

The Dog Star

One Last Thing Before I Go/Defending Jacob

two tied for 2nd place.  Actually I read a lot of good books this year - re-read a few old-timers and do my best to stay entertained as much as possible.~mlo

Mlo, I thought Defending Jacob was the best story I read this year; the plot was original and kept you guessing, but I didn't think the writing kept up with the story.  Does that make any sense???

Reply by Mellowgal on December 17, 2012 at 8:50am

Ursula, I listened to first disc of this story - then we drive up to Mountains for Camp-Out.  Very hot weekend - told my DH that he would like this book also - we brought along our Boombox CD Player - we could both listen at same time.  So both of us stare into campfire and attempt to grasp the complexity/mystery of this book.~mlo***the reader was excellent of course.

Reply by Tomereader on December 16, 2012 at 12:53pm

Best:  "The Sandcastle Girls".  Second Best:  "Last Night at the Lobster" or any of the 2 other Stewart Onan books I read. 

Reply by Nancy Tnbopeep on December 17, 2012 at 8:14am

Looking back at my list, I had several that I rated in the 90's on the Slopok scale. I guess my first pick would be Hotel at the Corner of Bitter & Sweet, by Jamie Ford, followed closely by a goldy oldy, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. (I'm taking liberties by naming 2 - I know).

CaliforniaNow, it doesn't matter when the book was published, only that you read it this year.  Note the mention of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn in the prior post.  But for the record, I checked and it is a new book.  Since you liked it so well, let's hope it's a new series.

Reply by Mellowgal on December 19, 2012 at 3:15pm

I'm thinking this will be my last posting on this site.  Had a challenge getting in - even with a link from rapa - had to remember my password, etc.  See everyone over at TBD - thanks for sharing your favorite books of the year.~mlo

Views: 90

Replies to This Discussion

Rapa, thanks for re-posting our Best & Worst Reads of 2012....only I'm a bit confused as you show me picking Barbara Kingsolver's newest book, Flight Behavior, and I haven't read that book yet.  So confusing????

My actual choice was M L Stedman's The Light Between the Oceans.

Since that was the book I picked I looked back and saw that the way the posts transferred, it does look like your post rather than mine.  But it was a great book, if you're looking for one...!

Oops, hope I got it fixed!!!!!  Thanks for picking up on it, Ursula

No problem!  I am a big Barbara Kingslover fan; just hadn't had the chance to read this new book.

I pick "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn.  It had me reading well into the night to get to the bottom of the mysterious disappearance. It was one of the best suspense stories I have read in a long, long while.  http://www.amazon.com/Gone-Girl-Novel-Gillian-Flynn/dp/030758836X/r...

Almost all of the books I read this past year were for Bible College. Many were excellent but this was one of my favorites: "Without a Doubt: Answering the 20 Toughest Faith Questions (Reasons to Believe)" by Kenneth R. Sample

Even though it was published more than twenty years ago, and as I have posted elsewhere, the best book I read in 2012 was The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. 

For something more current, and second best, would probably be The Hunter by John Lescroart. 

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service