TBD

TBD on Ning

I love a good series!  You can get lost in one book after the other for days or months at a time. 

List your favorite series, it's main character, the author, the genre, and the name of the first book in this series....

I'll start with my 'very' favorite:  the Cork O'Conner series by William Kent Krueger...

Genre: highly moral, family based outdoor mysteries (does that make sense?)

First book in series: Iron Lake  (be sure to start at the beginning)

Here's a link:  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/k/william-kent-krueger/

What's your favorite series?

Views: 342

Replies to This Discussion

One of my favorite series is the Joe Pickett series by C. J. Box

Genre: Wyoming thrillers starring game warden Joe Pickett

First book in series:  OPEN SEASON (2001)

I choose the Pendergast series by Doug Preston and Lincoln Child.

These are intense thrillers with a technological bend, the locale of each book gives it its unique flavor.

The first book in that series is Relic the twelvth is Two Graves

The most lengthy series I undertook is the alphabet series of mysteries by Sue Grafton.  The Kentucky born author places her books in Southern California and lets us live inside the head of of Kinsey Millhone, experiencing her quirky friends, unwise choices of men and dangerous characters.  "A is for Alibi" starts the series and "W is for Wanted" will be available next Sept.  I believe she is 72 years old now and I hope she can get through the next three books.  It may be "Z is for ZZZZZZZZ"  http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3A...

Yes, how could I have forgotten this series?!  Another favorite of mine, definitely.

How can we not include the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich?  Her antics with Lula, Ranger and Morelli are just plain fun... and a pleasant change of pace from all the intense thrillers & angst filled memoirs. 

One for the Money starts the fun and was made into a movie featuring Debbie Reynolds (of all people) as gun-totting Grandma.

For me, it would have to be the Spencer novels by Robert B. Parker.  By my count, there were 39 of them, the first being The Godwulf Manuscript.   More than just a hard-boiled tough guy, Spencer was a humane, compassionate character who loved dogs and above all his girl friend, Susan.  Parker didn’t hesitate to include other characters who might have been gay or were of other races or religions, as well.  I also once wrote a thank you note to him and actually received a brief reply.

Didn't he also write the Jesse Stone series?  Haven't read the books, but loved the Tom Selleck TV movies!!

Oh yes, lorouch, I enjoyed all the Spencer novels.  Robert B. Parker was a lovely man!  Went to an evening with him at the Bass Hall in Fort Worth a couple years before he died.  He was shorter than I had imagined but was a giant in my eyes!

I'm also a big fan of Faye Kellerman's Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus series.  Who would have thought a police mystery series could teach us so much about Orthodox Judaism?!!  But don't they also say you should write what you know and I understand the Kellermans are Orthodox Jews.

Again I recommend reading them in order for the character development and back story, but the stories can stand on their own.  The first book was The Ritual Bath.

I like and have read a lot of the series mentioned here.  I like the Longmire series by Craig Johnson - and now on TV Mondays - a good show.

Never read the books but sure enjoy the show on tv.

Dean Koontz has written several books on his Odd Thomas character. 

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service