TBD

TBD on Ning

Wednesday's Game: Books with a City/Town/Village in their name

This will be a bit harder than the last one :)

I'll start with A Cold Day in Paradise... set in Paradise, MI (in the upper peninsula), it is the first book in the Alex McKnight series by Steve Hamilton. 

Can you think of one?

Views: 267

Replies to This Discussion

The Madonnas of Leningrad  by Debra Dean... a moving novel about one woman's struggle to preserve an artistic heritage from the horrors and destruction of World War II.

As a follow up to "Lonesome Dove," Larry McMurtry wrote "The Streets of Laredo."  I'd sing a couple of lines for you but I think that would be painful to the ears. 

Almost forgot Steven Galloway's The Cellist of Sarajevo....such a powerful story set during the siege of Sarajevo in the 1990's.

Wow Ursula, I can't believe I missed that one. I just ordered it from the library.  Thnx!

Waiting For Snow in Havana by Carlos Eire.  I read this book a couple of years ago according to my book diary but I can't remember a thing about it except that I didn't rate it very highly... probably why I can't remember it.

Going with the Cuba theme, "Our Man in Havana" by Graham Greene.  It was also a movie. 

How could I have neglected GHOSTS OF MANHATTAN by Douglas Brunt!  It's been sitting on my bedside table for a couple weeks.  This is "a wryly comic, first-person debut novel offering a withering view of life on Wall Street from the perspective of an unhappy insider who is too hooked on the money to find a ways out, even as his careeer is ruining his marriage and corroding his soul."

http://www.amazon.com/Ghosts-Manhattan-Novel-Douglas-Brunt/dp/B00D1...

Then there was the imaginary town of "Peyton Place" which had everybody reading the expose of small town scandals by Grace Metalious.  

I still have RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE on my shelf! 

WITCHCRAFT AT SALEM by Charwick Hansen (1969).  The author states that the purpose of his book is to try to set strsaight the record of the witchcraft phenomena at Salem, Massachusetts, in the year 1692, about which much has been written and much misunderstood. The Table of Contents list some catchy titles i.e. "The Raising of the Devil" and "How to Catch a Witch."  Interesting study of actual witch hunts during that period.

Les Roberts has written lotta books - Full Cleveland, Pepper Pike (a suburb) The Cleveland Connection, The Duke of Cleveland, The Cleveland Local - and a few others with Cleveland in the Title -

Roberts is primarily seen as a regional writer. Though his Saxon series is set in Los Angeles, he is best known for his Milan Jacovich series (it's pronounced My-lan Yock-o-vitch) set in his adopted hometown of Cleveland, Ohio. Jacovich, unlike many single, dashing private eyes of fiction, is a battered, Stroh's-drinking, polka-dancing Slovenian American Vietnam veteran, ex-cop, and former Kent State football star, with a Serbian strong-willed ex-wife and two sons that he sees every other Sunday. Jacovich's working-guy attitude has endeared him to many Cleveland readers.

He is past president of the Private Eye Writers of America and the regular mystery book critic for The Plain Dealer. He has been a professional actor, singer, businessman, teacher and jazz musician.

Now here is the deal - the guy was born in Chicago - and he came to Cleveland area about the same time I re-located back to this area - like late 1980's - so I was trying to get a grip on my new/old environment.  Loved his writing - and could so relate.

Don't want to hijack the thread - as I know some of you have local writers of import.  To be honest I ran thru some of my favorite Authors - like James Lee Burke - I mean - doesn't he have a book with the Big Easy in the Title?  Not that I could find.

Lynn - just had a major RV Rally in the UP Michigan - loved it - the week before Memorial Day - beating the crowds - food...AWESOME- Pastys? Pasties?  I had to study who qualifies to be classified as UPPERS?~mlo

Peyton place!!! Eeeek! Could not think of the Title! Back when we touch on the "Shades" subject...remembered my MOM reading that dang thing ...my age at the time? Early teens...then I snagged it about age 18. WOW! Scandalous! Lol...pass the Ginko!
Pasty is pronounced list past not like paste, otherwise you end up with something else lol
You can order pastys online they deliver them frozen

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service