TBD

TBD on Ning

As we head toward fall are you anticipating some good reads?  I'm next on the reserve list for Louise Penny's new book.  YAY!

Am currently trying to get through C. J. Box's stand alone THE HIGHWAY. I'm not enjoying the read as much as his Joe Pickett series.

Views: 1090

Replies to This Discussion

Tamarack just came out last month Carolyn...

Carci...yeah but I went back over some of the earlier posts and it had been mentioned earlier. I need to start the Ginko so that these things don't slip by...I have started a notepad by my side to help with commenting and recording recommending reads! Sigh!

I just finished The Ophelia Cut by John Lescroart.  For anyone here that enjoys crime novels but still hasn’t read one by Lescroart, you are missing out on one of the best in that genre writing today.  While I highly recommend him, I would suggest starting with an earlier work, rather than this particular one. 

I did my 18 hour migration from Kentucky to Florida over the weekend and had a book companion all the way. http://www.amazon.com/The-Twelfth-Imam-Joel-Rosenberg/dp/1414311648  The timely book-on disc spanned the days of the Iranian Revolution and the ARGO extraction (a subject of the Academy Award winning movie last year) to the modern day Iran nuclear threat.  The hero is a CIA operative of Iranian decent who risk all to prevent WWIII, as "the bomb" becomes a reality in the hands of the promised Imam who has come to save the world by destroying the infidels.  Great stuff, as the miles flew by with hardly a notice.  Books on tape, and now on discs, have been accompanying my drives for many a year.  

Really enjoying Sue Grafton's W!!!   Must wait a week to finish it as flying out today to my 60th and last high school reunion.  Am taking my iPad and will read Kindle books while gone.

I just finished Nevada Barr's -Hat to Hat to Enlightenment, her philosophy on religion.  Interesting take. Now reading Adrian McKinty's - Cold, Cold Ground on the computer and Michael Koryta's - Silent Hour.  Really like both authors.  Next up from the library is The Dutch Blue Error by William G. Tapply.  Nice assortment.

Flower - I love love love Adrian McKinty!  On audio with the Irish accent...I am transported to that dimension.  Cracks me up with their dialog - words like a "Jumper" which is a sweat-shirt, I think - and "bloody well" and so many other phrases.  McKinty's hero's have more issues than Playboy - but are lovable just the same.

I started "Dead Watch" by John Sanford - pub date 2006.  too early for grading.

Friends of Library hosted local Author Terry Pluto "What I Learned from Watching the Browns" - equal # of women and men in audience - he also writes on the Religion page of the Plain Dealer.  Very entertaining on so many levels - the place was packed!!! Glad to see the Library being enhanced!

Carolyn, I just finished McKinty's Falling Glass novel, which I enjoyed.  I have read many of his books, and I remember especially enjoying his Fifty Grand novel.

I am going to have to see if our library has audio tapes of McKinty, would love to hear the Irish accent too.  I especially like the eejit word and hope to use it - LOL.  I do love the words even if do not know what some of them mean - figure if I keep reading, it will eventually turn up.  Thanks Carolyn. 

Finished The Company You Keep in bed last night...  It was a struggle the whole way through...  took over a week to read...  not recommended unless you were a Vietnam protester looking for affirmation. 

Started another Hiiasen today and already I'm liking it a whole lot better...   lol

The Vietnam war period seems like such ancient history now.  But if anyone were to look for a book that came out of that fiasco, he or she would need to look no further than Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried, which was a finalist for the 1990 Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Critics Circle Award. It was one of the most moving books I have ever read.

CARCI, Officer, I'm so enjoying "Let It Burn" by Steve Hamilton!  Very engrossing on several levels.  Funny, as early this summer I read the non-fiction:

"Detroit: Autopsy of an American City" - written by a journalist who shares dialog with Law Enforcement - raw, engaging - not the usual dry statistics.  So Hamilton's story - I could visualize from photos shared in the Detroit book so easily.

Living in the Cleveland, Oh area - we always gave so much respect to Detroit - they made the beautiful cars and our population made the supporting products like engines, braking systems - Akron for tires, blah, blah.  Dan'l and I made a trip around that area back in the early 90's - it was looking grim then - 

I've got a couple older mysteries "on deck" - by Jonathan King - analysis to follow.~mellow

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service