TBD

TBD on Ning

GOODBYE AUGUST!!!!

HELLOOOOOOO SEPTEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm plenty ready for fall. How 'bout you?

Am currently reading C. J. Box's new stand alone, BADLANDS. It grabs you right from the get-go and doesn't let go! Hope you have something good going and will enjoy these September days.

Views: 361

Replies to This Discussion

How can you not read this book?  I'm into "Dead Wake" by Erik Larson.  I have loved some his prior narratives, such as "Devil in the White City."  I thought the picture was chilling.  https://www.bookbrowse.com/reviews/index.cfm/book_number/3198/dead-...

Finished "Follow Your Heart" by Susanna Tamaro translated from the Italian

http://www.amazon.com/Follow-Your-Heart-Susanna-Tamaro/dp/0385316577/

At times sentimental, at times realistic, at times mystical, it is a long letter from a women approaching her end to her grand daughter going over periods of her life, her mother, her daughter and grand daughter

The language is simple yet it is touching 

Sugar, just wrote a long post but the site lost it saying site was having problems. Will try to reconstruct it tomorrow. :(

Recent reads include:  Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg, a story that takes up back to Elmwood Springs Missouri in the 1940's... light, fluffy, mildly amusing...  

Scents & Sensibility by Spencer Quinn,  typical Chet & Bernie mystery with lots of familiar doggie chatter... seemed awfully like the earlier books but somewhat entertaining none-the-less.

Now reading: The Nature of the Beast by Louise Penny,  back in Three Pines with another murder... how can one small town have so many murders?  100 pages into it so far...

Now that Gamanche lives in Three Pines, he has a lot of time to investigate crimes.  This one is based on a true story that Penny covered when she was a reporter. 

Didn't know that... thanks for the info... makes for more interesting reading IMHO

Three Pines must be, for its size, the most crime infested place on the planet. It certainly has a terribly high homicide rate. (I know, I know...fiction!)

I read this a few weeks ago. Would have enjoyed it more had I known it was based on true event. Wish the info had been in the Forword, not Afterword!

In fact, Louise Penny now lives in the area with her husband.  I ran a photo of her house in a previous post. I imagine she is Reine-Marie and her husband is Gamanche.  As I indicated, I attended a production of a local play at the Knowlton Playhouse when I was in the area, the one used in the story plot. Not only does Three Pines have a large crime base but is the home of a weapon of mass destruction.  

over 1/2 way through "Beast" and i looked up baby babylon images & info on google...  WOW!  knowing this actually exists certainly scares me and makes the book much more interesting... 

NOTE: don't check it out until you get into the book and hear what  it's all about...

I think Louise Penny is kind of a cult read that is much more enjoyable if you are familiar with the past books and the local culture.  "The whore of Babylon" is quite the creature.

Two great reads:

-I just finished "The Stranger" by Harlen Coben.  Read it in a day and half, as I couldn't put it down. Coben grips you in the angst of people in desperate situations, as this New Jersey lawyer is told by a stranger that his wife has faked her last pregnancy and miscarriage and are his two sons really his? 

"By the Water's Edge," the Sarah Gruen latest ("Water for Elephants"), takes place in WWII Scotland at Loch Ness, as three affluent and party going Philadelphia society folks decide to look for the monster.  The search is driven by the shaming of one as a "draft dodger" by his father (although he was 4-F) and disgust over the lifestyle his son has degraded himself to.  Strange tale that still  has the water but has substituted the monster for the elephant. 

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service