TBD

TBD on Ning

"The harvest moon hangs round and high
It dodges clouds high in the sky,
The stars wink down with love and mirth
The autumn season is giving birth.
Oh, it must be October..."
~Pearl N. Sorrels

Last night finished Albert Camus's THE STRANGER translated from French. It's only 100 pages but you won't forget the story's hero, Meursault. This book was published in 1942 and became known as one of the best novels of the century.
Picked up Sue Grafton's X today.

What are you reading now or are you busy raking leaves?

Hope you remembered to "RABBIT RABBIT RABBIT!"

Views: 340

Replies to This Discussion

It caught my eye that the tone of this book is essentially opposed to religion however the author gave his characters biblical names Moussa and Haroun (Moses and Aaron) The author himself is called Daoud (David)

Historical names. Meursault was a non-believer.
Thank you, Lip Service! Will be good to read this different perspective.

Finished Louise Penny's Nature of the Beast late last month and have turned to a soap opera trilogy recommended by some friends who must love this genre.  

I have now finished Sommerset and am 1/2 way through Roses, both by Leila Meacham.  I'm having trouble stomaching all the angst & unrequited passion.  I will probably finish this one (over 600 pages in each book) but don''t think I'm up to a third dose of this dribble. I might have liked it 50 years ago when I read Gone with the Wind and Loves Savage Fury... lol

Have any of you read this series?  What are your thoughts on it?

Sat, we went to the "North Suburban Book Club Meet UP" , book clubs from the North Metro area of Denver, meet for tea and mini Bundt cakes and 2 rep from the big publishers come and talk about the new books coming out- they make they sound so good that we want to buy them all. Then they gave all a book bag and a free book. Our book club had 9 people show up.

We are reading Wonder and Frog Music- both selected by the leaders- both way out of most of us box. Very different.

Finished "The Silent Sister" by Diane Chamberlain. Absolutely riveting! That being said...I don't normally read women Authors, you all know that? So maybe I am charmed by something new and different. Starting another by her and then I will see if her writing has a "trend" that readers here would feel...um, er, uh...uncomfortable? No spoiler.

Been a slug all day...reading medical publications on Thyroid ...props to those of you in medical field...so dry and less than engaging. Necessary since I just started the meds 22 days ago...don't want to mess up with supplements I take for allergy...digestive issues, etc.

"And the Good News Is" by Dana Perino Press Secretary for George Bush. Haven't gotten to the 9/11 attacks yet and know it will be challenging.

Nice 3 day weekend ahead in NE OHIO!~mellowgal
Last night finished Sue Grafton's X. Found it rather slow moving during the first 3/4 as she was dealing with three different situations. The last few chapters went "Boom, boom, boom" and tied things up wonderfully! Am so hoping that she completes the alphabet!

Tonight starting Lee Child's MAKE ME. Busy week approaching so won't have much reading time.

Hope y'all are enjoying some cooler weather. We really, really need some rain! but not like the south east!!!

Waiting to pick up a cheap or free copy of X.  I have stuck with Kinsey Millhone for years now.  She has stayed relatively young, while I have grown old.  I think the last 2 will be "Y is for Yawn" and "Z is for ZZZZZZZ." Which I'm going to do now as I spent the last two days on the road to Florida.  I did listen to "Sinner" by Tess Gerritsen, a Rizzoli and Isles story. I used to enjoy the TV series. Two murdered nun sets thing off as they seriously get into their habits to find clues to the murders.  One turned up pregnant. 

Glad you arrived safely to your winter nest. Wishing you good finds at your southern library. Have a busy week approaching so may have to get my stories in bits and pieces!

Happy reading to all!!!!!!!

I'm reading The Wind Is Not A River by Brian Payton.

' In the bloody turmoil of war, John Easley, a journalist mourning his lost brother, is driven to expose a hidden and growing conflict: the Japanese invasion and occupation of Alaska's Aleutian Islands. But when his plane is shot down he must either surrender or struggle to survive in a harsh wilderness.'

Very good tale but the small font and light print in the book are driving my eyes crazy.  Why do they do this in some books? cheaper to print with less ink?  I think it will be worth the struggle but it may take a little longer to get through it.

I just read "A Wind is not a River" last month --  a good description of the "untold" invasion of Alaska during WWII.  I drove the Alaskan Highway twice, once in '87 and the other in '98, and tales of the impending invasion of Alaska by Japan were everywhere. The Alaskan Highway is a marvel of American know-how that seems lacking today.   I made it down to Steward for a week study of the ecology of Prince William's Sound after the Exxon-Valdez incident and the tales of the Alleutian conflict were still told. It's a great love story of a woman going after her man, who was presumed lost or dead by the authorities. I also enjoyed the story of the men and women of the USO who went to Alaska to entertain the men working on the highway and supporting the war effort.  

I just finished laughing....whoops, I'll start over. I just finished Dave Barry's latest book, Live Right and Find Happiness (although beer is much faster). The book was, as all his others have been, hilarious. In my opinion, Barry is the greatest literary comic writing today. For whatever reason, but that's my problem, I haven't read anything by him in the past couple years. I intend to make up for that now. For all of you who like to laugh, I recommend the book highly.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service