TBD

TBD on Ning

"HELLO OCTOBER!"

Did you remember to RABBIT RABBIT RABBIT?

There are some good reads out there. Have you found any that really grab you? I'm still enthralled with Thomas Christopher Greene's riveting psychological novel THE HEADMASTER'S WIFE. Next up is Sandra Brown's MEAN STREAK.

Happy reading to all!

Views: 723

Replies to This Discussion

Finished The Professionals the first book by Owen Laukkanen, a very good first work. It is a thriller, the characters on both sides are very skillfully drawn which makes you care about them. Went immediately and checked out his second book Criminal Enterprise.

Also read Never Go Home a so-so Jack Reacher, a fast read. The usual slam-bang but did not find it too interesting

On the other hand was surprised by how good Raven Black by Ann Cleeves. It is a mystery with the clues laid out there from the beginning but could not guess it. The locale is the Shetland Islands in Scotland a major component of the book and the plot, the description of the place as well as the internal landscape of the characters is excellent. It is her first book but was amazed that she has also published nineteen others in two separate series and I had never heard of her.

Lip Service I read both of Owen Laukkanen's books you mentioned.  Have not yet read Kill Fee - his 3rd, hope to get it this winter.  Eaglewoman - I have read a couple of Margret Coel's books and she really is a good writer.

Just finished Linwood Barclay's -Never Saw It Coming -another good author. Am waiting on Neverhome from the library.  This book by Laird Hunt is about a woman who enlists in the Union Army during the Civil War as a man.  Sounds like it could make a great movie.  Anyone else read this?  Hope you keep the good books coming.  Mandy I started the Secret History and could not stay with it either and you wrapped up your critique much as I thought too.  I have read a couple of Ian Rankin's books and plan to read more when I get to them.

MANDY...thanks for the analysis on Tartt"s book. Sounds logical since Goldfinch had a lot of those behaviors in the drama.

Not enjoying Ellroy's style in another book called "Blood's A Rover" ...challenging to define. History in the raw.

I was struggling to find good books to read, but now that I'm back indulging in the Bookoholics discussions, my reading wish list is growing.  Two books recently suggested to me were FLORENCE GORDON by Brian Morton and REMEMBER ME LIKE THIS by Bret Johnson.   Has anyone read either of these?  Comments?  Suggestions?  I'm also reading THE INSIDE RING by Michael Lawson.  He has a series of mystery books about a character name Joe DeMarco.  I went back to read his first one and enjoying it.  I am surprised I had never heard of him.  So many books ... so little time.

We did the lecture last week promoting Margarete Coels book Blood memory, thought it was strange they were promoting her book, but she wasn't there. Well now they are having a meet the author On Nov 8th and she is the speaker.

Looking forward to the outcome!
FLOWERGRAM...I just finished listening to Adrain MGinty's "FALLING GLASS"...love, love, loved it on Audiobook! First of all...we have the lovely Irish dialect, the way they call children , barins, or wee ones along with all their other expressions of daily life. I feel as if I am there and of course Killian is so dang loveable even though he is a "hit man" trying to go "straight."

Now, to be honest there is one "scene" that is just too close to the terrible news of the horror in War right now. So I can't recommend this story if someone has never read his work before. At least I don't think so. I'm thinking...YOWZA...you mean this type of killing went on in 2011? Who knew?

I just didn't want the story to end....He has another book out...can't find my notes for the Title and not on Audio at Library yet.
Another Author I liked and maybe didn't mention while absent here. M.J. MCGrath. I'm thinking female readers would like her. New book is THE BONE SEEKER. Not on Audio yet, either...so I will wait. Rated A in Plain Dealer. She likes Blood soup, caribou ear and blubber in your tea....high Artic living.
More....soonly...~ct

Carolyn you make me want to rush out and find another McKinty - and I just got to find the audio - would love to hear it.  Another author you might like is Michael Koryta - suspense thrillers from young author. Thanks for McGrath is on my list now too.  Need 24 hrs a day to get at this list.  LOL  love your notes.

Adrian McKinty has a blog you might be interested in -   adrianmckinty.-blogspot.com just found it.

Thanks

Sort of casting around looking for a good book. I'm reading,Revenge by Noel Hynd. New York Times: "An intricate spine chiller! bloody good!" Its about a "Nam" POW who's  looking to find the man who tortured him while in prison in North Viet Nam. I think it is "so so" and but that may be because I'm looking for something different. I've got  All The light We cannot  See and Windigo Island on hold at the  R.E.A.D.S. library. I'm also checking out suggestions here....Just part of the quest for good reads!

Just downloaded "All the Light We Cannot See" from Amazon. The Anthony Doerr novel has rave reviews for this WWII love story dealing with blindness.  I'm finishing up a typical Sandra Brown story in "Deadline" which I picked up at the book exchange at my retirement complex. I tackles the issue of post traumatic stress disorder.   This gal has written over 65 books and keeps them coming.  So many books; so little time to read them all! 

Just started listening to "All the Light We Cannot See" -- has rave reviews, but I'm still having trouble getting into it.  Keep us posted when you progress into the book.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service