TBD

TBD on Ning

Hope y'all did your "RABBIT RABBIT RABBIT" this morning!  Hard to believe that it's November already!

I'm still reading Margaret Atwood's ALIAS GRACE and enjoying it!  The book is rather small print and 460 pages.  Am not sure I'll get through it this round.  Tomorrow am picking up three reserve books at library. Here's the order that I plan to read them:

1.  DEADLINE by Sandra Brown  http://www.amazon.com/Deadline-Sandra-Brown/dp/1455501514/ref=tmm_h...

2.  THE OCTOBER LIST by Jeffery Deaver  http://www.amazon.com/October-List-Jeffery-Deaver/dp/1455576646/ref...

3.  JUST ONE EVIL ACT by Elizabeth George http://www.amazon.com/Just-One-Evil-Act-Inspector/dp/0525952969/ref...

All three books are recently published and have a reserve list. Fortunately will have three weeks. The George book is quite long and the reviews haven't been exceptional.  The Deaver book also has not had good reviews but I do like him.  Have been to a couple evenings where he speaks and he's quite delightful!

With the holidays approaching hope everyone can find some time to escape into some good reads!

photo wormy.jpg

Views: 844

Replies to This Discussion

My latest, just finished it yesterday, was The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri.  It received generally excellent reviews (although one by Siddhartha Deb in the New York Times was somewhat less than favorable), briefly reached the N.Y. Times best seller list, and was a finalist for the National Book Award.  I would be interested to know whether anyone else here read it and, if so, what you thought about it.

The novel focuses on the lives of four people: two brothers born in Calcutta India, a woman who was the wife of both of them and a daughter of one or both of the couples.  The relationship is too complicated to go into any further here.  It follows their lives and relationships, much of it in America, often in excruciating detail. That detail often caused me to become distracted and need to go back and reread some passages.  But everything just moved ponderously forward.

In spite of that, I was drawn into their lives, determined to see where they go and what their fate would be. But all in all, for me, everything seemed to end in a whimper. But perhaps that is where most lives end.

I think many of you might like it, perhaps very much. It is certainly worth a try.

I loved "The Art of Racing in the Rain," "Light Between Oceans" and "Defending Jacob." 

Just finished a two day drive from South Florida back to Northern Kentucky for the Thanksgiving and Christmas Holidays to be with family. I never travel without a Book-on-Disc.  "Invisible Prey" by John Sanford took up about 14 hours of the drive.  I have read most of his "Prey" novels over the years.  This was a good one involving the word of antiques, quilting and mischief.  The "quilting" tie-in is quite unusual. 

Read the language of flowers and I gave it an A. Also read the astronaut wives club I gave it a B+ it is interesting. Also light between oceans and that was good and the end of your life Club - also good. Using my voice app so excuse the punctuation etc. How do you choose the books that you decide to read? we have decided to try taking turns. Each member takes a month and chooses a book. so far it's working out well.
Mandy...the miles really "tick-away" with an audio book! "Never tired, never bored". A phrase I pirate from Burt Reynolds! Lol

I'm on the last disc (15) of The 13th Juror by John Lescroart. Very slow start then BAM! In disc 4 everything became very engrossing. Now, this has lots of Legal dialog with references to the Calif law regarding murders (with Special Conditions) and now I know a lot of the limitations and guidelines layers have to follow in Capital cases. There is a bit of witty commentary from time to time. Everyone needs to leave me alone for about 45 minutes so I can finish the dang thing!

Have a stack of Harlan Coban to listen...

In this book club we each bring a list of the books  that we want to read, then they post it on the board and each person gets 12 votes. My other book club we bring a list of 2-3 books we want to read and then the leader picks from them.Really like the 1st one as it sort of gives us more control. Each group generally reads a different style, will be anxious to see what we end up with tomorrow.

Thanks for the info. Our one member each month is working well so far. Our bookclub is very small.

I just finished "Thank You for Your Service" and recommend it highly, especially for veterans and their families.  It's written by David Finkel, who previously "embedded" with troops in Iraq.  In this book he follows several of the same soldiers as they try to return to their families.  It's a very sobering look at what they are experiencing as they return, both from the point of view of the soldiers and of their family members.  Not a light read by any means, but I'm glad I read it.

Our other book club made their selection on tues, a few dupicates from the one.

Cold Sassy Tree-Grapes of Rath- Orphan Train--Dandelion Summer--End of Your Life Book Club--The Eyre Affair A Thursday Next--Still Alice--The White Queen (our other book Club met the author a few weeks ago)-The Book Thief--Light Between the Oceans--Unbroken--Lost Lake

The book thief has been made into a movie.

The kindle edition contains clips of the movie embedded in the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Thief-Enhanced-Movie-Tie--ebook/dp/B00GC...

Not sure I like this idea

I read "The Book Thief" a few years back and enjoyed the story.  I guess stories of the Nazi regime never grow old as we must be reminded what happens when the government gets into the hands of a fanatic and his followers. 

I suspect they were paid by the movie company to include those scenes...  just like if you see a product on a kitchen table on TV the company that makes it has paid to have the label shown...

Finishing up the month with "Ender's Game" by Ogden Scott Card, the master of short story sci-fi.  This is now a major motion picture and available on Amazon for $1.99.  There is a preface by Card on his early days growing up in Utah and incidents in school days that influenced this classic in sci-fi that was grown from an original short story.  He documents the many educational institutions and organizations that have used his book as a training guide in understanding children.  This dystopian novel fits in with the Hunger Games, Divergent and many fictional accounts of a dark and weird world of the future.    http://www.amazon.com/Enders-Game-The-Ender-Quintet/dp/0812550706

I have also picked up "The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon" by Brad Stone.  Of course it is number one on Amazon.  Also, I have "Identical" by Scott Turow with examines a crime case involving identical twins.  Turow is never disappointing. 

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service