TBD

TBD on Ning

RABBIT RABBIT RABBIT and “Hello November!”

This is a time we give thanks for our joys and memories. Let’s also remember our veterans who have served to preserve our liberties and those who currently serve to maintain them.

Hope you’re finding some reading time. Recently I read two books, both on the best seller lists, and can’t decide which had the sicker story-line. The books are Lee Child’s MAKE ME and Karin Slaughter’s PRETTY GIRLS Both books were fairly mild until the final third and then “BAM!”. Anyone else read these?

Views: 624

Replies to This Discussion

After putting down 4 of the 10 books that I started this month, I was beginning to think there were no more good ones out there... 

However I just started The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan and I think it'll be an interesting read.  Time: 1914... Grace is both a newlywed and a widow and she is on trial for murder.  Grace's new husband had gotten her a seat on an overloaded lifeboat when their ocean liner sinks.  Its occupants quickly realize for anyone to survive, some must die. It is touted as a story of hard choices, ambition and endurance...   hmmm

The ones I stopped reading were The Divide (Nicholas Sparks), Charlotte Gray (by ?), The Little Paris Bookshop (Nina George) & Gilead (Marilyn Robinson)... 

The best one so far this month was Early One Morning by Virginia Bailey, a WWII novel.

For those of you who liked The Life we Bury, be sure to get and read The Guise of Another, Eskens second novel. I just finished it and found it to be equally as readable as his first. It was difficult to put down and is highly recommended.

I am now about to start what looks to be a futuristic novel that John Sandford (of Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers fame) wrote along with someone by the name of Ctein. The title of the book is Saturn Run, but who this Ctein is, I have no idea. Has anyone here come across this one?

THE LIFE WE BURY....Loved it, amazing storyline, creative, mystery, dialog, characters...YES, YES, YES!!! Thanks for the referral and a nod to CARCI, LORUACH, GRAMMYK.

Finished it about an hour ago! Can you tell??? Lol

I just started on Audiobook...The Lake House by Kate Morton. Um, er, uh...sort of a chick book? Did notice there is a movie by that name featured on Cable channels. Don't know if based on this book? Seems like I have seen this title from other Authors?

Hopefully everyone had a good Thanksgiving. We had less mishaps than usual...LOL...but I did burn the biscuits which was major, of course!
Biscuits, nix the biscuits'. Enough carbs next day with hot turkey sandwiches with mashed/dressing/gravy!!!!!!

ThE LIFE WE BURY is awaiting me at libray. THE LAKE HOUSE is next up on reserve.

Hubby dealing with nasty chest viral problem. Doc did check his lungs. Maybe 7-10 days to resolve. DH keeps saying he's glad he married a nurse!! Reading time is my respite!

Can you hear the Jingle Bells??? Christmas is heading in all too soon......please drop in now and then! Hope you are treating yourself to some reading time!

I have not read either of those book but thanks for posting your take on them because I usually get around to reading Lee Child's but will forgo this one.  I have been catching up with John Gresham and I am reading, "The Last Juror".  It is really good and I only have about 50 pages left.   Not sure what I will read next. 

BTW Happy very late Birthday Rapa.   And to everyone I hope if you celebrate Thanksgiving that you had a nice one. 

I've got "The Life We Bury" next on the reading schedule.  I've got about another day of reading "Stone's Fall" as a huge financial crisis is threatening to collapse Europe at the turn of the 19th century. Intrigue is everywhere as a rich industrialist influences politics to his advantage. Named Stone, he dies from an accidental fall from his second floor library in the first few pages of the book and the story tries to discover the circumstances.   

Yesterday I finished The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan.  It was OK but I don't think I'd read it again.  There were too many starts and stops and too much was left unsaid.  Also, I didn't really like the main character and that is a killer for me.

I just started The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.  I got it because I loved the title and this satire has me smiling and chuckling on every page. It was recommended for those who liked A Man Called Ove.   So far, so good. 

At 4:00 am this morning finished Baldacci's THE GUILTY. Excellent read! Was checking DH status until 6:00 when finally got a bit of sleep. Have two reserves waiting at library and will pick up Mon. Rains have finally ceased. TYJ!....until the next drought.

Now back to my turkey on toast!!!!!!
RAPA....RE: The Lake House....For what it is worth...I listened to 4 discs out of 18. Now, I always listen to try to sleep (except when I am loving an Audiobook) and then I can't put down so have volume up while empty litter boxes, loading dishwasher, folding clothes.

So for nighty nite I am thinking after first disc...this will put me to sleep fo' sure....and it was so boring that I kept awake WAITING for a story to crystallize??? At 2:30AM...I just gave up and switched to another mystery which I will share later.

Now, for the record most of you know that I not like historical stuff (except for Ken Follet) or drama about what people wore or blah, blah.

Just so you know...don't take my word for it as a critique....I know that I am: "an acquired taste"..when it comes to chatting about books on line. I am only person who has ever posted at Bookoholics either here or at EONS that couldn't get into Louise Penny?

Soooo....will you still save me a seat here?

I only read one Louise Penny book, never got into enough to check out another.I am jusst starting A Guise of Another- really liking it.

Carolyn, you'll always have a seat!!!!!

Many of us have enjoyed Louise Penny's early books much more than her later books. On the other hand we care much about her as a person. To each their own.

BTW, I much prefer the written word to audio books. Guess that's because I read in bed and audio would put me to sleep!

I remember years ago we all read one of her books together.  I believe it was the first time we all read her together.  While I enjoyed the book I found it somewhat pokey.  But I remember too that Ms. Penny came on to the group and we got to ask her questions.  As a person she was very nice (from her answers I gathered that she was nice)  so I have always wanted to give her a try again.   Do you remember the name of the book we all read together?  

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service