TBD

TBD on Ning

RABBIT RABBIT RABBIT and “Hello November!”

This is a time we give thanks for our joys and memories. Let’s also remember our veterans who have served to preserve our liberties and those who currently serve to maintain them.

Hope you’re finding some reading time. Recently I read two books, both on the best seller lists, and can’t decide which had the sicker story-line. The books are Lee Child’s MAKE ME and Karin Slaughter’s PRETTY GIRLS Both books were fairly mild until the final third and then “BAM!”. Anyone else read these?

Views: 624

Replies to This Discussion

Carci. Eaglewoman. Good to hear! Yesterday I put Eskens' next book, The Guise of Another, on hold. My library doesn't have it yet, but is acquiring it. I am second on the "wait" list. I am very much looking forward to reading it.

In the meantime, I started Scents and Sensibility, another of Spencer Quinn's delightful Chet and Bernie mysteries.

I've read that one also...  Chet is always a nice break from the heavy books... 

I want to thank Mandy Muffin for recommending Spandau Phoenix by Greg Isles.  It was his first book and I had not read it because it started with WWII and thought it would be very different from what it is -  a story you cannot stand to put down.  Had it ordered since August and am half way through and still feel that way.  Spies, murder, anything you could ask for in the excitement department.  Love his Mississippi based books and now loving to read this one.  Best of the year book for me.  Keep my list growing -  LOL. cooler weather here in SW Ohio means more time to read - I hope.  

"THIS IS YOUR LIFE, HARRIET CHANCE" by Jonathan Evison

Story is about a 78 year old woman who takes a cruise to Alaska. Now, that being said...it wasn't her idea but a gift from her husband who has passed away. No spoiler as that info is on the jacket cover.

It is a bittersweet story. If a Mother never had any issues with her adult children then they wouldn't "get it." I liked one of the reviewer on Barnes/Noble Website show said this book would be a good choice for Mother/Daughter book clubs? Not so sure on that score. The book constantly swings from current time to her early times....back/forth...I sort of found that refreshing but it bugged one reviewer.

How I even got tuned into requesting this from the library since it is way different than my usual choices? Maybe Goodreads?

I will request The Life We Bury and Spandau Phoenix.

Just started a James Grippando....Title not available as it is in another room and I just sat down! Lol

Happy Birthday, rapa! Hey, now everyone who checks in on Bookoholics knows your secret: you are one year older. Ouch!

THANKS, Lorouch! .......and so it be, 80 caught me!!!!!

Have from library John Irving's new release AVENUE OF MYSTERIES. This book is long with unusual characters and scenarios so will tackle it later. Did start a Joy Fielding book last night SOMEONE IS WATCHING. It's reminiscent of Alfred Hitchcock.

Happy birthday Rapa, wish you had a good one

Happy Birthday Rapa and wish you many more.  You and I are both Scorpios.  Oh my goodness.  LOL  Thanks for two more books to add to my list - hope to make it through many more and hope you do also. 

Thanks, Flowergram! A granddaughter sent me a virtual tour of beautiful libraries. How 'bout enjoying it with me, fellow Scorpio!
http://mentalfloss.com/article/12923/10-most-beautiful-libraries-un...

They all look great! I would love to visit each of them but don't suppose I ever will. Compared to them, my library is a very simple place. Nevertheless, I will go forward with the belief that every library is a beautiful place to be.

Thanks Rapa - I have never been to any of these - my favorite was the Carnegie Library - our town was given a building which has some similar stone for a library - it now it a place for the literacy program.  A new library was built many years ago - I do not like it as well even though it has much more space.  I usually go to a nearer satellite library which is even smaller but feels quite cozy and the staff are just great.  I use the computer library quite a bit in the winter too.  Thanks for sending.  Hope I make it to the big 80 too.  LOL

RAPA!!! Hope you can celebrate all month! Happy Birthday and Props to you for starting us off every month and keeping us together all these years. BTW, you are ageless and timeless...sang in my best Rod Stewart voice!

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service