TBD

TBD on Ning

I am starting a new thread here mainly for purposes of my own catharsis. It is my intention, at least at this point, to make regular contributions. Of course, if anyone else has anything to add, they are more than welcome. If you have any input, please contribute.

Over a year ago I decided to deal head-on with my self-diagnosed adult attention disorder, (ADD). The inability to stay focused was becoming too stressful. I found myself sitting around watching the clock tick, yet I couldn’t keep “on task” with any project I started. Nothing was getting done and just starting something was becoming depressing.

The smart thing to do was probably to get professional help, so instead I decided to try to heal myself, at least as a first try. Cognitive therapy and pharmaceuticals (UGH) might be the approved way to go but I decided to try meditation first.

18 months and countless self-help books later, I still can’t bring myself to a regular, formal meditation program. But, along the way, I discovered informal mindfulness. Yes, I know it is the “Fad” right now. It is hard to navigate modern social trends without “tripping over” somebody extolling the benefits of mindfulness.

Let me add my voice to the chorus.

Views: 6038

Replies to This Discussion

I recently read an article that suggested our interpersonal relationships would be strengthened if we were more honest. The dishonesty referred to here is not egregious lies but the tendency to back down and withhold our true feelings when differences are being contended. I feel the need to press the above wisdom regarding the "prison of perfection" into my primary relationship at home, but I know it will be disastrously received. But in the meantime, I don't care to even enter our newly remodeled bathroom.

And just to confuse the issue: "Everything is perfect, and there is always room for improvement."  ~  Shunryu Suzuki

"We possess what is known as basic goodness. Then we develop an overlay of unnecessary tricks and occupations. We develop little trucks to shield ourselves from being embarrassed - or from feeling too painful or naked." ~  Chogyam Trungpa

I was bothered a bit when I posted this one yesterday and after a day's thought I would like to contest it (slightly.)  The assumption of basic goodness seems to stand in direct conflict with the Judeo-Christian dogma of original sin. I think both are too simplistic. A full exposition of my beliefs on this are outside the scope of this meditation (I'm tempted here to write a blog type article but haven't established a blog platform anywhere.) But a quick metaphor would be the native American (?) meme about the two competing wolves within us; one good, one not. The survivor is the one we feed.

But this correction does not deter from the meaning of the quote. It is the not good wolf that develops the tricks used to shield it's ego and the good wolf who sees through the ego.

I still have an uneasiness about loosely using terms like good or bad without further definition, but that we be for my longer (unwritten) blog.

And on to today's intention to consider.

"We tend to notice people who are useful to us, ignoring or not even seeing those who don't directly benefit us. It's said attention is the most basic form of love. In this way we love the world by noticing, we love one another by including each other in our circle of attention."  ~  Jason Garner

Today it is my intention to be more inclusive with the people I encounter. Hopefully, I can make it a habit.

"To define your life is to limit it, and to limit it is to create false beliefs which become the source of all dissatisfaction."  ~  Brian Thompson

A little less "Me"

On the path to becoming,

A little more "We"

"Most people want to live longer, but don't want to age. I see a problem."  ~  Dzogchen Penlop Rinpoche

By attachment to illusions of youth, we become unaware of the riches of the present. If you feel the present has no riches, readjust your attitude and look again.

Sorry if that sounded "preachy". Only you , yourself, can realize that a path of attachment leads to dissatisfaction and sorrow.

"It is with our passions, as it is with fire and water, they are good servants but bad masters."  ~  Aesop

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service