TBD

TBD on Ning

I am starting a new thread here mainly for purposes of my own catharsis. It is my intention, at least at this point, to make regular contributions. Of course, if anyone else has anything to add, they are more than welcome. If you have any input, please contribute.

Over a year ago I decided to deal head-on with my self-diagnosed adult attention disorder, (ADD). The inability to stay focused was becoming too stressful. I found myself sitting around watching the clock tick, yet I couldn’t keep “on task” with any project I started. Nothing was getting done and just starting something was becoming depressing.

The smart thing to do was probably to get professional help, so instead I decided to try to heal myself, at least as a first try. Cognitive therapy and pharmaceuticals (UGH) might be the approved way to go but I decided to try meditation first.

18 months and countless self-help books later, I still can’t bring myself to a regular, formal meditation program. But, along the way, I discovered informal mindfulness. Yes, I know it is the “Fad” right now. It is hard to navigate modern social trends without “tripping over” somebody extolling the benefits of mindfulness.

Let me add my voice to the chorus.

Views: 6040

Replies to This Discussion

Here's something I am too guilty of, understanding things academically but not operationally. How often it is that I get up and put myself in a really good place by reading (or writing) some spiritually inspiring literature and then go about my day without ever thinking to put the lessons I learned into play? 

"Your beliefs don't make you a better person; your behavior does."  ~  Anon.

"Do not just read about generosity; BE generous. And do not just talk about patience, compassion and unconditional love; make them a part of your daily life!"  ~  Timber Hawkeye

I am going to have to find a way to put a 'daily intention' into my mind someplace where I will mentally keep tripping over it as I go about my daily activities.

It has been suggested that meditation is a lot like prayer. I would agree, up to a point. Certainly when a mystic enters into a communion with the Devine, it is a valid meditation. But what about the way people ordinarily pray. If someone gets lost in a sense of love and gratitude, yes. But if the prayer is just a Santa Claus list things we want and expect delivered to our door, as if the Devine was a competitor of Amazon Prime, then not so much. There are lots of methods of mediation, just as there are lots of different ways to pray.

"If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is "thank you," it will be enough."

~  Johannes Eckhart

Thank you. I like that.

"There are, strictly speaking, no enlightened people; there is only enlightened activity."  ~  Shunryu Suzuki

Have you ever noticed that a lot of people seem to get so wrapped up in a form of hero worship of their inspirational leaders that they forget to practice what said leader stands for. They worship the person, with lip-service to his/her actions.

"Behavior is what a man does, not what he thinks, feels, or believes."  ~  Emily Dickinson

"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours."  ~  Wayne Dyer

I'm not a follower of the idea that karma is some sort of divine judgement, or even a fail safe cause and effect process. What goes around, comes around; sometimes. But it is never my job to assume the responsibility of being karma's personal agent.

I am setting an intention today of responding to everyone with equanimity, no matter what feelings their reactions promote.

"I am but a finger pointing to the moon. Don't look at me; look at the moon."

Some people get so wrapped up in a cult of personality surrounding their inspirational leaders that they forget to practice the doctrines expressed by their idols.. The irony here is that this quote is often attributed to the Buddha, even though it is apparently of modern origin. Follow the teachings if they strike a chord with you; don't be so concerned with worshiping the teacher.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service