TBD

TBD on Ning

I am starting a new thread here mainly for purposes of my own catharsis. It is my intention, at least at this point, to make regular contributions. Of course, if anyone else has anything to add, they are more than welcome. If you have any input, please contribute.

Over a year ago I decided to deal head-on with my self-diagnosed adult attention disorder, (ADD). The inability to stay focused was becoming too stressful. I found myself sitting around watching the clock tick, yet I couldn’t keep “on task” with any project I started. Nothing was getting done and just starting something was becoming depressing.

The smart thing to do was probably to get professional help, so instead I decided to try to heal myself, at least as a first try. Cognitive therapy and pharmaceuticals (UGH) might be the approved way to go but I decided to try meditation first.

18 months and countless self-help books later, I still can’t bring myself to a regular, formal meditation program. But, along the way, I discovered informal mindfulness. Yes, I know it is the “Fad” right now. It is hard to navigate modern social trends without “tripping over” somebody extolling the benefits of mindfulness.

Let me add my voice to the chorus.

Views: 6055

Replies to This Discussion

"I remember being astonished... by the realization that our emotions are not things that simply happen to us, like the weather. Instead, they are habits. They are something we do. And perhaps most surprising, we have the ability to change our emotional weather."
~ Bodhipaksa

"You are not supposed to win or lose arguments. You are supposed to reach a mutual understanding and agreement. Otherwise, you both lose."

~ unknown

"To protect our inner peace, we must learn to observe, not absorb.” ~Jb Copeland

"... in ethics, we are not caught by rules. In ethics, it is understanding and compassion that lead the way."
~ Sister Annabel Laity

"Surprise is the seed of gratefulness. Become aware of surprises. Relish surprises as life's gifts." ~ David Steindl-Rast

"Maybe the journey isn’t so much about becoming anything. Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you.” ~Paul Coelho

"You don’t need to have a peaceful mind to experience peace. You need to stop giving your thoughts so much attention and importance.” ~Richard Paterson

"Rather than choosing a life in which you do nothing for fear of making a mistake, choose a life that improves through failure and pain."
~ Haemin Sunim

Today  I feel like an extended rant. I encountered this passage on X  formerly known as Twitter:

One of the core teachings of Buddha is encapsulated in the concept of impermanence: “Everything that has a beginning has an ending. Make your peace with that and all will be well.”

It seems like every spiritual tradition has it's insights and then 'blows it' trying to explain. At risk of falling into the same trap, let me explain. See below

How can they promise me that "All will be well."?

True, everything with a beginning has an ending, and making 'war' with it is a ticket to misery. But an ending is neither 'all well' nor 'not well' in and of itself. That is a value judgement you bring to the table yourself. An ending is just that, an ending. You can accept it and move on or you can fight it. But don't expect that either course is a guarantee to 'all well'. That sort of entitlement is sure to disappoint. 

"One of our common mistakes is to compare how we feel inside with how our friends appear outside. We don't know what's going on inside of our friends, but we are well aware of what is going on inside of ourselves. Your friends might be envying you..."
~ Haemin Sunim

"You may have a million desires to be in other places, doing other things, but you are not there, you are here. Enjoy the present moment."

~ Josh Bulriss

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service