TBD

TBD on Ning

I am starting a new thread here mainly for purposes of my own catharsis. It is my intention, at least at this point, to make regular contributions. Of course, if anyone else has anything to add, they are more than welcome. If you have any input, please contribute.

Over a year ago I decided to deal head-on with my self-diagnosed adult attention disorder, (ADD). The inability to stay focused was becoming too stressful. I found myself sitting around watching the clock tick, yet I couldn’t keep “on task” with any project I started. Nothing was getting done and just starting something was becoming depressing.

The smart thing to do was probably to get professional help, so instead I decided to try to heal myself, at least as a first try. Cognitive therapy and pharmaceuticals (UGH) might be the approved way to go but I decided to try meditation first.

18 months and countless self-help books later, I still can’t bring myself to a regular, formal meditation program. But, along the way, I discovered informal mindfulness. Yes, I know it is the “Fad” right now. It is hard to navigate modern social trends without “tripping over” somebody extolling the benefits of mindfulness.

Let me add my voice to the chorus.

Views: 6055

Replies to This Discussion

Wow! Do I really dare challenge the value of Hope? Our culture presents hope as one of our greatest virtues. For instance, "Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness."  ~  Desmond Tutu. I could come up with hundreds of these; you know I could. I think we have to distinguish between the kind of hope that tempts us to become attached to some imagined future state to the extent that we just hide in it, oblivious to our circumstances, or the kind of hope that is not passive to circumstances and if necessary reminds us that "This too will pass.." 

The first kind of clinging hope just creates worry. The second type inspires.

Happiness can find you more easily when you stop chasing it .  ~  #mindfulness

Reminds me of throwing a stick for a dog to fetch. Most dogs will want to play keep away when you want the stick back to throw again. You can chase after the dog and not catch him or you can run the other way. The dog will chase you with the stick. Happiness is like a dog with a stick.

"Don't wait. Because right now is the oldest you've ever been & the youngest you'll ever be again."  ~  Suzanne Collins

Another reason to appreciate the present moment. It's unique, don't let it slip by.

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. " (this is only a humble fortune cookie, but I rather liked it. )

All my mistakes make me smarter. (I hope)

"The reality of human beings is that they have things they love and things they hate, therefore they can be governed."  ~  Shang Yang

Attachments and aversions. Those things you hope for, or else dread. They not only rob you of the present moment, but provide 'handles' by which you can be manipulated by other people or even by blind fate.

"The truth of life really has little to do with its quality. The quality of life is in proportion, always, to the capacity for delight. The capacity for delight is the gift of paying attention."  ~  Julia Cameron

"Be like a tree, let the dead leaves drop."  ~  Rumi

As I approach this new Holiday season, I ask myself, "What baggage from the past am I carrying forward, needlessly? What mental or emotional dead weight can I just let go?"

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service