TBD

TBD on Ning

I am starting a new thread here mainly for purposes of my own catharsis. It is my intention, at least at this point, to make regular contributions. Of course, if anyone else has anything to add, they are more than welcome. If you have any input, please contribute.

Over a year ago I decided to deal head-on with my self-diagnosed adult attention disorder, (ADD). The inability to stay focused was becoming too stressful. I found myself sitting around watching the clock tick, yet I couldn’t keep “on task” with any project I started. Nothing was getting done and just starting something was becoming depressing.

The smart thing to do was probably to get professional help, so instead I decided to try to heal myself, at least as a first try. Cognitive therapy and pharmaceuticals (UGH) might be the approved way to go but I decided to try meditation first.

18 months and countless self-help books later, I still can’t bring myself to a regular, formal meditation program. But, along the way, I discovered informal mindfulness. Yes, I know it is the “Fad” right now. It is hard to navigate modern social trends without “tripping over” somebody extolling the benefits of mindfulness.

Let me add my voice to the chorus.

Views: 6055

Replies to This Discussion

"The idea of turning towards emotional pain may seem counterintuitive, but when we gently open the door and invite it in, our relationship with it can be transformed." -- THE MINDFULNESS PROJECT

"Very little grows on jagged rock.
Be ground. Be crumbled,
so wildflowers will come up
where you are.
You have been stony for too many years.
Try something different. Surrender."

~ Rumi

"You are here to live. Not to earn, not to stress, not to prove, not even to please. Just to live." ~Natasha Helwig

"You will never speak to anyone more than you speak to yourself, and what you say matters."
Everyday Mindfulness

"Equanimity is the profound art of accepting the moment."
~ Jeff Warren, Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics

Most obstacles melt away when we make up our minds to walk boldly through them. ~ Orison Swett Marden

In wisdom we acknowledge that everything changes. What is born will die. What dies nourishes life in its many forms. ~ Patricia Lynn Reilly

The kindest thing you can do for someone else is listen without forming an opinion. ~ Lori Deschene (creator of TinyBuddha)

"Can you pay attention to your judging mind today? If you notice judgement sneaking in, see if you can let go of any labels and give your mind space to simply let be."

~ The Mindfulness Project

"A peaceful heart is not a withdrawal from life, but rather coming back into ourselves to remember the place that neither grasps nor judges and hates." – Jack Kornfield

"Pay attention to what you pay attention to. Our attention shapes how we feel and what we do" ~ Mark Williamson

Feelings are much like waves, we can't stop them from coming but we can choose which one to surf. ~ Jonathan Martensson

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service