TBD

TBD on Ning

I am starting a new thread here mainly for purposes of my own catharsis. It is my intention, at least at this point, to make regular contributions. Of course, if anyone else has anything to add, they are more than welcome. If you have any input, please contribute.

Over a year ago I decided to deal head-on with my self-diagnosed adult attention disorder, (ADD). The inability to stay focused was becoming too stressful. I found myself sitting around watching the clock tick, yet I couldn’t keep “on task” with any project I started. Nothing was getting done and just starting something was becoming depressing.

The smart thing to do was probably to get professional help, so instead I decided to try to heal myself, at least as a first try. Cognitive therapy and pharmaceuticals (UGH) might be the approved way to go but I decided to try meditation first.

18 months and countless self-help books later, I still can’t bring myself to a regular, formal meditation program. But, along the way, I discovered informal mindfulness. Yes, I know it is the “Fad” right now. It is hard to navigate modern social trends without “tripping over” somebody extolling the benefits of mindfulness.

Let me add my voice to the chorus.

Views: 6040

Replies to This Discussion

"Even if you don't have anything that's really well thought out and articulated in your own mind, you can be assured that your life right now is, and has been, and will be, oriented around certain life commitments."
~ Adyashanti

"Know yourself"  ~  Socrates

"All the world's a stage," wrote Shakespeare. Sometimes you get caught in the plot. But remember, you are also the audience. Take a breath. Look around. Become witness to it all. ~ Jack Kornfield

Possesion without attachment.
"I have the world's largest collection of seashells. I keep it on all the beaches of the world. Perhaps you've seen it." ~ Steven Wright

"Doubt is a condition of humanity, but doubt is no excuse for inaction. If you wait until all doubt is gone before you decide to have kids or get married, you'll end up childless and alone and surrounded by too many cats." ~ Jason Boyett

"This is why we create unnecessary drama and conflict in our relationships: We don't see people as they are. We see everything we're projecting onto them from our past, our pains, and our assumptions."

~  Tiny Buddah

"Happiness starts with you. Not with your relationships, not with your job, not with your money, but with you."  ~  Tiny Buddha

"Life doesn't follow a set timeline. Instead of saying 'Why did I not do this earlier in my life?' say 'I'm so glad this is the first time I get to experience this.' Remove the pressures of a timeline from your existence and start receiving every moment as purely as possible. Every blessing is a blessing no matter the time it arrives."   ~  Tiny Buddha

"Pay attention to something in your surroundings—the in and out of your breath, the rhythm of your heart, the pain in your knee, a barking dog, the many hues of the rising sun. Just rest here and breathe. This moment is meditation. This moment is your life. This moment is enough."  ~  Jason Garner

In short, "This moment is enough." Nearly ALWAYS applies.

"Undying, untouched by fire or the storms of life, there is a place inside where stillness and abiding peace reside. You can ride the breath to go there."

~  Danna Faulds

While past behavior may be a strong predictor of future behavior, it is not the determinant factor. Current behavior is what determines the future. You break habits in the present moment.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service