TBD

TBD on Ning

I am starting a new thread here mainly for purposes of my own catharsis. It is my intention, at least at this point, to make regular contributions. Of course, if anyone else has anything to add, they are more than welcome. If you have any input, please contribute.

Over a year ago I decided to deal head-on with my self-diagnosed adult attention disorder, (ADD). The inability to stay focused was becoming too stressful. I found myself sitting around watching the clock tick, yet I couldn’t keep “on task” with any project I started. Nothing was getting done and just starting something was becoming depressing.

The smart thing to do was probably to get professional help, so instead I decided to try to heal myself, at least as a first try. Cognitive therapy and pharmaceuticals (UGH) might be the approved way to go but I decided to try meditation first.

18 months and countless self-help books later, I still can’t bring myself to a regular, formal meditation program. But, along the way, I discovered informal mindfulness. Yes, I know it is the “Fad” right now. It is hard to navigate modern social trends without “tripping over” somebody extolling the benefits of mindfulness.

Let me add my voice to the chorus.

Views: 6040

Replies to This Discussion

To find a Tai Chi Chich instructor in your area, go to the link below. It will offer a PDF file to download that lists accredited teachers sorted by geographic area.

http://www.taichichih.org/tai-chi-chih-teachers/

Additionally, a Google search will turn up numerous YouTube videos demonstrating the practice. For just a feeling of what it is about I would recommend the video of Stanley Corwin (link below). He does a slightly abbreviated version of the full practice without stopping to instruct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9-aZ1XW1To

Easily the best of the instructional videos is one by Carmen Brocklehurst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONjHjM4puGY&list=PLym7GJxgGn3Xl...

Some caveats to mention here: The Tai Chi Chih organization at times seems to be cult of worship for its's founder, Justin Stone (deceased 2012), whose word on everything seems to be final. They also will offer to sell instructional manuals and DVDs. These may be useful, but so is YouTube. But there is no pressure, no Emails, phone calls etc.

Somewhat troublesome to me is the metaphysics of the practice. It is embedded in an Asian model of energy (Chi) movement through body chakras. My outlook is too heavily influenced by western naturalism to buy into this. But you don't have to in order to gain the benefits. I just keep my beliefs to myself and tell them that I will agree to disagree.

I would like to give special thanks to my spell checker for being my special demon today. Nothing else in my life (except my wife) works harder to keep me attentive to what I say or do in each moment.

So much in life depends on our attitude. The way we choose to see things and respond to others makes all the difference.

"How life 'should be' is just a story told by your mind. It gets in the way of you living the life that you have."  - #Mindfulness

"You don't have to get rid of anxiety before you can act"  -  #mindfulness

Much easier said than done once anxiety has gained the upper hand. I understand, in my logic, that  doing something, taking the first step, can help break the grip of anxiety, but the paralysis of anxiety so often strangles the logic. But anxiety usually gives subtle warnings before it highjacks the emotional system. That's where being mindful of my thoughts and feelings comes into play. By monitoring what is going on in my head, I have been able (at times) to recognize the threat in advance and take that action before the anxiety has grown too strong.

I don't consider positive thinking to be the practice of holding onto unrealistic expectations at any cost. Positive thinking is paying attention to the details of my present life, anticipating, without undue manipulation what will come. It is the knowledge that if I take care of today, I can take care of tomorrow.

Good point.

I can not escape from my own mind, however I want to. The only option I have left is to work with my mind.

I picked up this morsel recently: A man with a watch knows  what time it is. A man with two watches  is never sure.  What do you make of this? There is such a thing as too many choices? Focus your mind on one thing at a time to avoid confusion? The one and only thing you see, becomes reality for you?

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service