TBD

TBD on Ning

I am starting a new thread here mainly for purposes of my own catharsis. It is my intention, at least at this point, to make regular contributions. Of course, if anyone else has anything to add, they are more than welcome. If you have any input, please contribute.

Over a year ago I decided to deal head-on with my self-diagnosed adult attention disorder, (ADD). The inability to stay focused was becoming too stressful. I found myself sitting around watching the clock tick, yet I couldn’t keep “on task” with any project I started. Nothing was getting done and just starting something was becoming depressing.

The smart thing to do was probably to get professional help, so instead I decided to try to heal myself, at least as a first try. Cognitive therapy and pharmaceuticals (UGH) might be the approved way to go but I decided to try meditation first.

18 months and countless self-help books later, I still can’t bring myself to a regular, formal meditation program. But, along the way, I discovered informal mindfulness. Yes, I know it is the “Fad” right now. It is hard to navigate modern social trends without “tripping over” somebody extolling the benefits of mindfulness.

Let me add my voice to the chorus.

Views: 6052

Replies to This Discussion

"How you interpret a situation affects your mental wellbeing more than the situation itself." ~ Everyday Mindfulness

"If you allow stress to go on for too long without addressing it, your health is likely to suffer. Stress is supposed to be short-lived."  ~  Everyday Mindfulness

Yes it does.

“A healthy self-care routine is going to save you more stress than any amount of vacation time.” ~ Steven Handel

“We long for permanence but everything in the known universe is transient. That’s a fact but one we fight.”
― Sharon Salzberg

"It is not our expertise, but rather the wisdom gained from our own suffering, vulnerability, and healing that enables us to be of real assistance to others." - Frank Ostaseski

“Compassion literally means to feel with, to suffer with. Everyone is capable of compassion, and yet everyone tends to avoid it because it's uncomfortable. The avoidance produces psychic numbing - resistance to experiencing our pain for the world and other beings.”
― Joanna Macy

"If you get the inside right, the outside will fall into place." ~ EckhartTolle

"Those who appear sensitive are actually doing something incredibly brave. They are choosing to stay with their emotions, which are pathways to healing, instead of shutting down." ~ Vironika Tugaleva

"Peace does not mean to be in a place where there is no trouble, chaos, or hard realities to deal with. Peace means to be in the midst of all those things and still remain mentally, emotionally, and physically centered."  ~  Marc and Angel Chernoff

"Destiny is a mysterious thing, sometimes enfolding a miracle in a leaky basket of catastrophe." ~ Francisco Goldman

“Gratitude is liberating. It is subversive. It helps us to realize that we are sufficient, and that realization frees us.” ― Joanna Macy

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service