TBD

TBD on Ning

I am starting a new thread here mainly for purposes of my own catharsis. It is my intention, at least at this point, to make regular contributions. Of course, if anyone else has anything to add, they are more than welcome. If you have any input, please contribute.

Over a year ago I decided to deal head-on with my self-diagnosed adult attention disorder, (ADD). The inability to stay focused was becoming too stressful. I found myself sitting around watching the clock tick, yet I couldn’t keep “on task” with any project I started. Nothing was getting done and just starting something was becoming depressing.

The smart thing to do was probably to get professional help, so instead I decided to try to heal myself, at least as a first try. Cognitive therapy and pharmaceuticals (UGH) might be the approved way to go but I decided to try meditation first.

18 months and countless self-help books later, I still can’t bring myself to a regular, formal meditation program. But, along the way, I discovered informal mindfulness. Yes, I know it is the “Fad” right now. It is hard to navigate modern social trends without “tripping over” somebody extolling the benefits of mindfulness.

Let me add my voice to the chorus.

Views: 6040

Replies to This Discussion

"Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold." ~ Maurice Setter

The beauty of life is, while we cannot undo what is done, we can see it, understand it, learn from it and change. ~ J. Edwards

"Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it." — Rumi

"Remember that the future our mind creates is a complete guess and often wrong."  ~  Everyday Mindfulness

“Don’t do any task in order to get it over with. Resolve to do each job in a relaxed way, with all your attention. Enjoy and be one with your work.”
― Thich Nhat Hanh

“If uncertainty is unacceptable to you, it turns into fear. If it is perfectly acceptable, it turns into increased aliveness, alertness, and creativity.” ~ EckhartTolle

"And you must remember that the opposite of certainty is not uncertainty, it’s openness, curiosity and a willingness to turn a page and embrace life's newest chapter." ~ Mark and Angel Chernoff

“Whatever you have experienced in your life right up until this minute is not you. It has all gone. No matter how much you idealize, “I am this, I am that,” it is all conceptualization. The moment you identify yourself as something, you are already something else.”~Thubten Yeshe

"Life is glorious, but life is also wretched. It is both...Gloriousness and wretchedness need each other. One inspires us, the other softens us. They go together." ~ Pema Chodron

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves." ~ Viktor Frankl

"You simply do not have to attend every argument you're invited to."  ~  Marc and Angel Chernoff

Good one. 

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service