TBD

TBD on Ning

I am starting a new thread here mainly for purposes of my own catharsis. It is my intention, at least at this point, to make regular contributions. Of course, if anyone else has anything to add, they are more than welcome. If you have any input, please contribute.

Over a year ago I decided to deal head-on with my self-diagnosed adult attention disorder, (ADD). The inability to stay focused was becoming too stressful. I found myself sitting around watching the clock tick, yet I couldn’t keep “on task” with any project I started. Nothing was getting done and just starting something was becoming depressing.

The smart thing to do was probably to get professional help, so instead I decided to try to heal myself, at least as a first try. Cognitive therapy and pharmaceuticals (UGH) might be the approved way to go but I decided to try meditation first.

18 months and countless self-help books later, I still can’t bring myself to a regular, formal meditation program. But, along the way, I discovered informal mindfulness. Yes, I know it is the “Fad” right now. It is hard to navigate modern social trends without “tripping over” somebody extolling the benefits of mindfulness.

Let me add my voice to the chorus.

Views: 6040

Replies to This Discussion

"The aspects of a thing that are most important to us are hidden to us because of their simplicity and familiarity." ~ Ludwig Wittgenstein

If that 'thing' referred to above is an important relatonship, then I must be blindly taking someone for granted in some way. That would go a long way toward explaining my perpetual residence in the dog house.

Slivers of silver

Moonlight slips through cloud cover.

Thus arrives wisdom.

"In times of stress, the best thing we can do for each other is to listen with our ears and our hearts and to be assured that our questions are just as important as our answers."

— Fred Rogers

Oh yes!

"I'd rather live with a good question than a bad answer."  ~  Aryeh Frimer

"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."  ~  G. K. Chesterton

I know that this runs counter to normal expectations, but bear with me. It suggests the truth in the following: "Don't let Perfect get in the way of Good Enough."

We all know someone, maybe we are are that someone, who won't try something (thereby missing out) unless they can master it perfectly. Or maybe they spend their whole life in a vain effort to be perfect in every way. In doing so they not only miss the everyday joy of making a mistake and laughing at themselves, but are just irritating to everyone else.

"Dance like nobody's watching." Because, why does it matter who's watching.

Too often we care what others think, therefore missing the joy of just doing. 

"There's a world of difference between insisting on someone's doing something and establishing an atmosphere in which that person can grow into wanting to do it."

— Fred Rogers

"We are not given a good life or a bad life. We are given a life. It's up to us to make it good or bad.” ~ Devika Fernando

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand as well."  ~  Jack London

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service