TBD

TBD on Ning

I am starting a new thread here mainly for purposes of my own catharsis. It is my intention, at least at this point, to make regular contributions. Of course, if anyone else has anything to add, they are more than welcome. If you have any input, please contribute.

Over a year ago I decided to deal head-on with my self-diagnosed adult attention disorder, (ADD). The inability to stay focused was becoming too stressful. I found myself sitting around watching the clock tick, yet I couldn’t keep “on task” with any project I started. Nothing was getting done and just starting something was becoming depressing.

The smart thing to do was probably to get professional help, so instead I decided to try to heal myself, at least as a first try. Cognitive therapy and pharmaceuticals (UGH) might be the approved way to go but I decided to try meditation first.

18 months and countless self-help books later, I still can’t bring myself to a regular, formal meditation program. But, along the way, I discovered informal mindfulness. Yes, I know it is the “Fad” right now. It is hard to navigate modern social trends without “tripping over” somebody extolling the benefits of mindfulness.

Let me add my voice to the chorus.

Views: 6093

Replies to This Discussion

"In a society that has you counting money, pounds, calories, and steps, be a rebel and count your blessings instead.” ~Lisa Heckman

"In today’s rush, we all think too much — seek too much — want too much — and forget about the joy of just being.”

~ Buddha Project

"Let me keep my distance, always, from those
who think they have the answers.

Let me keep company always with those who say
“Look!” and laugh in astonishment,
and bow their heads.

~ Mary Oliver

"This holiday season, remind yourself that being kind to someone you dislike doesn’t mean you’re being fake. It means you’re mature enough to manage your emotions and handle yourself with grace."  ~ Marc and Angel Chernoff

“Be the things you loved most about the people who are gone.” ~Unknown

. "Grief is just love with no place to go.” ~Jamie Anderson

"A child is going to remember who was there, not what you spent on them. Kids outgrow toys and outfits, but they never outgrow time and love."

~ Tiny Buddha

He was saying "wake up!" not "I am the Buddha and you must believe in me." His teaching is an invitation and an encouragement to awaken."

~ Luang Por Sumedho

"Your relationship with yourself sets the tone for every other relationship in your life. Being kinder to ourselves helps us to be kinder to others. Having developed these qualities toward ourselves, they become available for others too."
~ Bodhipaksa

"Practicing self-compassion is like learning to be a kind and wise parent to ourselves. When our children act badly in some way, they need neither our hatred nor our blanket approval. They need kindness and wise guidance."
~ Bodhipaksa

"Culture is a gadget; it’s something we inherit. And you can fix it the way you fix a broken oil burner. You can fix it continuously."
~ Kurt Vonnegut

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service