TBD

TBD on Ning

I am starting a new thread here mainly for purposes of my own catharsis. It is my intention, at least at this point, to make regular contributions. Of course, if anyone else has anything to add, they are more than welcome. If you have any input, please contribute.

Over a year ago I decided to deal head-on with my self-diagnosed adult attention disorder, (ADD). The inability to stay focused was becoming too stressful. I found myself sitting around watching the clock tick, yet I couldn’t keep “on task” with any project I started. Nothing was getting done and just starting something was becoming depressing.

The smart thing to do was probably to get professional help, so instead I decided to try to heal myself, at least as a first try. Cognitive therapy and pharmaceuticals (UGH) might be the approved way to go but I decided to try meditation first.

18 months and countless self-help books later, I still can’t bring myself to a regular, formal meditation program. But, along the way, I discovered informal mindfulness. Yes, I know it is the “Fad” right now. It is hard to navigate modern social trends without “tripping over” somebody extolling the benefits of mindfulness.

Let me add my voice to the chorus.

Views: 6110

Replies to This Discussion

"To connect more deeply with others, we must face the one person that we often keep on the shortest leash: ourselves."

~ Mindful Online

An unwillingness to follow this dictum is no doubt the reason I have become so isolated. Got to work on that.

"This is why we create unnecessary drama and conflict in our relationships: We don't see people as they are. We see everything we're projecting onto them from our past, our pains, and our assumptions." ~ Tiny Buddha 

Mindfulness isn't about feeling good all the time. It's about being compassionately present for however you're feeling.

~  The Mindfulness Project

"Mindfulness can encourage creativity when the focus is on the process and not the product."

~ Ellen Langer

“Everything that has a beginning has an ending. Make your peace with that and all will be well.” – Jack Kornfield

“Everything that has a beginning has an ending. Make your peace with that and all will be well.” – Jack Kornfield

"All will be well" doesn't necessarily mean that negative situations will just evaporate away. It means you will have the equanimity to thrive in them anyway.

"Patience is a form of wisdom. It demonstrates that we understand and accept the fact that sometimes things must unfold in their own time."
~ Jon Kabat-Zinn

It takes intentionality to not use food, Netflix, Facebook or anything else mind-numbing to take the edge off tougher feelings. It takes a willingness to feel our feelings bodily, which is a skill we can cultivate.

~ Tiny Buddha

"Remember, most of your stress on an average day comes from the way you respond, not the way life is. Adjust your response and that extra stress is gone. Truly, inner calmness among chaos is a superpower that frees you to focus more effectively on the things that actually matter."

~ Marc and Angel Chernoff

"You cannot defeat darkness by running from it, nor can you conquer your inner demons by hiding them from the world. In order to defeat the darkness, you must bring it into the light."
~ Seth Adam Smith

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service