TBD

TBD on Ning

I am starting a new thread here mainly for purposes of my own catharsis. It is my intention, at least at this point, to make regular contributions. Of course, if anyone else has anything to add, they are more than welcome. If you have any input, please contribute.

Over a year ago I decided to deal head-on with my self-diagnosed adult attention disorder, (ADD). The inability to stay focused was becoming too stressful. I found myself sitting around watching the clock tick, yet I couldn’t keep “on task” with any project I started. Nothing was getting done and just starting something was becoming depressing.

The smart thing to do was probably to get professional help, so instead I decided to try to heal myself, at least as a first try. Cognitive therapy and pharmaceuticals (UGH) might be the approved way to go but I decided to try meditation first.

18 months and countless self-help books later, I still can’t bring myself to a regular, formal meditation program. But, along the way, I discovered informal mindfulness. Yes, I know it is the “Fad” right now. It is hard to navigate modern social trends without “tripping over” somebody extolling the benefits of mindfulness.

Let me add my voice to the chorus.

Views: 6102

Replies to This Discussion

“People don’t realise that now is all there ever is. There is no past or future except as a memory or anticipation in your mind.” -- ECKHARDT TOLLE

"How many things are waiting to be discovered or seen when we simply pay attention and stay aware?"
~ Noah Rasheta

"Our sense of self is an event that occurs rather than a thing that exists"
~ Noah Rasheta

"We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand melting like a snowflake.”
– Marie Beynon Ray

"...sooner or later she had to give up the hope for a better past." -- IRVIN D. YALON

"Having greater awareness of your emotions means that, if anything, your experience of them will be heightened. It’s just that in being less caught up in them, you will no longer feel as though you are at their mercy."
~ Andy Puddicombe

"Mindful and creative, a child who has neither a past, nor examples to follow, nor value judgments, simply lives, speaks, and plays in freedom.” – Arnaud Desjardins

"Change is constant, but growth is optional. Remain stuck or learn and grow. Where you end up is dependent on your daily attitude and response. And it's never too late to change your attitude about something you can't change. Just decide to grow from it. No excuses. No regrets."

~ Marc and Angel Chernoff

"We need the courage to learn from our past and not live in it."

~ Sharon Salzberg

“Happiness, not in another place but this place… not for another hour, but this hour.” – Walt Whitman

“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people helping.’” -- FRED ROGERS

“In today’s rush, we all think too much, seek too much, want too much– and forget the joy of just being.” – Eckhart Tolle

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service