TBD

TBD on Ning

I am starting a new thread here mainly for purposes of my own catharsis. It is my intention, at least at this point, to make regular contributions. Of course, if anyone else has anything to add, they are more than welcome. If you have any input, please contribute.

Over a year ago I decided to deal head-on with my self-diagnosed adult attention disorder, (ADD). The inability to stay focused was becoming too stressful. I found myself sitting around watching the clock tick, yet I couldn’t keep “on task” with any project I started. Nothing was getting done and just starting something was becoming depressing.

The smart thing to do was probably to get professional help, so instead I decided to try to heal myself, at least as a first try. Cognitive therapy and pharmaceuticals (UGH) might be the approved way to go but I decided to try meditation first.

18 months and countless self-help books later, I still can’t bring myself to a regular, formal meditation program. But, along the way, I discovered informal mindfulness. Yes, I know it is the “Fad” right now. It is hard to navigate modern social trends without “tripping over” somebody extolling the benefits of mindfulness.

Let me add my voice to the chorus.

Views: 6093

Replies to This Discussion

“Don’t do any task in order to get it over with. Resolve to do each job in a relaxed way, with all your attention. Enjoy and be one with your work.” -- THÍCH NHẤT HẠNH

"Next time you are working on a task, try to notice when you start thinking about achieving an end goal, rather than appreciating the experience of what you are doing. Then, gently bring your attention back to the present."

~  The Minfulness Project

"We are not in control, and that the best way to cope with life is to let go of our pre-conceived ideas of how things should be and join in with the dance of how things really are." The Mindfulness Project

"Your wound is probably not your fault, but your healing is your responsibility." ~Denice Frogman

"...letting go of hatred is not a moral issue. The problem with hatred isn’t whether it’s morally right or wrong. Clinging to hatred is simply an unwise action because it creates unnecessary suffering for ourselves and others."
~ Noah Rasheta

"Take delight in all the ordinary things that are to be done instead of trying to get them out of the way so that you could do something else, which is supposed to be better or more rewarding. You’ll see the reward is everywhere because there’s no hurry."

~ @alanwattsdaily

“The one thing we need more than hope is action. Once we start to act, hope is everywhere.” - Greta Thunberg

We all know that, coming from Miss Thunberg, this is a call for reversing ecological disaster, but it seems to be the sort of maxim that can be generalized to all aspects of our lives.

And if you find that you don’t have enough time for what matters, stop doing things that don’t.

~ Marc and Angel Chernoff

“The moment you accept what troubles you’ve been given, the door will open.”

~ Rumi

"The body benefits from movement, and the mind benefits from stillness.” – Sakyong Mipham

"You are here to live. Not to earn, not to stress, not to prove, not even to please. Just to live." ~Natasha Helwig

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service