TBD

TBD on Ning

Thanks to Carolyn Tewell for reminding us it's time to share our reads for July. 

Tonight, July 1, I'm finishing Lisa Genova's LOVE ANTHONY.  Tomorrow am picking up at library the book recently recommended by several of you, THE PROFESSIONALS by Owen Laukkanen. 

What's on your plate for this month? 

Views: 530

Replies to This Discussion

As I indicated, I decided to  do a Louise Penny marathon this month (five books in two weeks). I am in the middle of "The Brutal Telling" and have three more to complete the series.  I thought she was a bit too much when I started but then I compared here style to Elizabeth George, who I thoroughly enjoy and loved the subplots and off-beat characters.  Out of the mouth of old ladies comes some of the vilest curse words you can mutter.  Everybody's got a secret and some of them actually have something to do with the central plot.  As I have  visited the area of the Quebec Eastern Townships for a study and play (golf) extended tour, I can envision the locals and environs like it was my backyard.  I also enjoy the subtle intermingling of English and French, as I was educated bi-lingual in the two languages. 

Whatever happened, rapa, welcome back. 

Thanks, lorouch!  I noticed that our membership was down one to 46 so checked the member list.  Tada, I was missing!  Only figured it out when found that I couldn't post.  Rejoined ASAP!  ;)

I have combined a lot of activities in my life with reading, so I have coupled another.  I have just started to watch the highly successful Downton Abbey British serial, as all of the first four seasons are available through the Prime movies/TV that come with the membership.  Accordingly, I just picked up "While We Were Watching Downton Abbey" by Wendy Wax as a complement to the series.  http://www.amazon.com/While-Were-Watching-Downton-Abbey/dp/0425263312 

I suppose the two parallel story lines will keep my interest and provide some great delight.  I absolutely love the Downton Abbey first two episodes as the 1910 British nobility system is at it's height. 

We got the first season about 6 weeks ago and loved it...  have to order the 2nd season soon...

Last night finished Jeanette Walls's THE SILVER STAR.  Excellent read!  This book is described as a heartbreadking and redemptive novel about an intrepid girl who challenges the injustice of the adult world--a triumph of imagination and storytelling.  You may recall that Walls wrote THE GLASS CASTLE.

Last night started a delightful novel IT HAPPENED AT THE FAIR by Texas author Deeanne Gist. The story takes place at the 1893 Chicago World's Fair.  Here is one reader's review: 

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 star read April 30, 2013
Format:Paperback
With It Happened at the Fair, Deeanne Gist brings readers yet another beautifully written romance that is quite charming. Lead protagonists Cullen McNamara and Della Wentworth are beautifully developed and the storyline is riveting. But it is Ms Gist's meticulous research that makes this book such an outstanding read. Her attention to historical detail is phenomenal and her descriptions of the Chicago World's Fair bring this story vibrantly to life.

Cullen is quite a bit older than Della but she is quite mature (and sensible) for her young age. Cullen is quite sweet and he always treats Della with utmost respect. He is very humble and lacks self-confidence when it comes to his invention. In the beginning of the story, due to her father's dire warnings about strangers, Della is very cautious around Cullen. She slowly relaxes her guard around Cullen, but late in the novel, a secret Cullen has been keeping threatens to destroy their relationship.

Ms. Gist does not shy away from sensitive topics in her novels and It Happened at the Fair is no exception. She fully explores the controversy that surrounded teaching deaf students lip reading versus sign language. The reactions to Cullen's increasing deafness accurately portray the prejudice and misconceptions that were often encountered by deaf people during the time period. Adding to the story's authenticity is Cullen's increasing concern about the growing recession and financial instability of banking institutions.

It Happened at the Fair is a fascinating historical romance and Deeanne Gist does a wonderful job incorporating fact with fiction. It is an informative and entertaining novel that is quite engrossing. An incredibly well-written story that I highly recommend to anyone who enjoys a sweet romance with a light Christian element.

I received a complimentary copy for review

I just picked up Suspect from my local library; thank you for the recommendations!

I have recently read Big Brother, A Fort of Nine Towers, The Middlesteins, and The Operators, all of which I liked. 

Has anyone else read Bill O'Reilly's books:  Killing Kennedy, Killing Lincoln?  I read the one about Kennedy on a referral from a friend and really liked it.  Next up is the one about Lincoln - this is just my own opinion but I think his books are better than his cable show; maybe he should quit his night job and stick to writing books?!

This link is called:  Need a beach read worth your time...here is the 10 WORST choices. 

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/07/13/beach-books-best-worst-goodr...

I liked the analysis at then end of the article about "how long does it take people to give up on a book."

I can't imagine anyone opening up a copy of "Moby Dick" on the beach.  I think I read a juvenile edited edition about 60 years ago, but did read the original a few years back.  It is a tedious read with more information about Leviathans that anyone would ever want to know.  I used a guide to get me through the book.   As for "Ulysses" I image only a couple of English Professors actually read the stream of consciousness that Joyce inflicted on the world. (I got through my English Lit course with Cliff Notes.)  I just remember the dirty words from my skimming of the book many decades ago.  I did see the movie. 

I loved "Atlas Shrugged," but many liberals would not embrace the hidden agenda of Ayn Rand.  "The Trilogy of the Rings" was all the rage when I read the three fantasy stories in my 20s but you need a scorecard to keep track of the action.  Most people have seen the movies and only read the books to see if anyone actually wrote this stuff. 

I think I am taking "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" on vacation with me this time.  It should make the hours in the sun pass away pleasantly. 

Today our book club discussed "True sisters" by Sandra Dallas. About the Mormons making the trek from back east to Utah. Tough heartbreaking story. Next month doing "the Great Gatsby" Next week my other book club is doing "One Thousand Splendid sons"

Okay. So who recommended Robert Crais...Suspect?

I plugged in the first AudioDisc last night figuring a lull to sleep..like normal?

HA! No way! What a great story so far...loving it!~mlo

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service