TBD

TBD on Ning

Happy 2015!!!! Did you remember to "RABBIT, RABBIT, RABBIT?"

I'm starting the new year with a debut novel by Martha Woodroof, SMALL BLESSINGS. This is a beautifully written book that will elicit laughs and tears. This heart warming story takes place in a small Virginia college town with a cast of charmingly imperfect characters.

Hope you, too, have time now to curl up with a good read.

Views: 544

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks loruach, here is the article for those who would like to read it

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/museums/daniel-silva-be...

Thanx, that is an interesting article.  I just read The Kill Artist last month and plan on continuing the series. I have the next one on order at the library.

If anyone is interested in the order of the series it is listed here:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/daniel-silva/

My day was brightened considerably yesterday when I received a call from my library that Windigo Island by William Kent Krueger was available. I've had it on hold for at least three months. I picked it up this morning and the first paragraph alone tells me it's going to be a winner.

Bet you'll finish it before Super Bowl. Good read!

When you watch the Super Bowl commercials and see a P&G commercial with a 15 yr. female high school quarterback on male team from Virginia, "Karlie", she's our son-in-law's partner's delightful daughter. The family is enjoying a celebrity 8 day trip to Phoenix with box seats for the game. I'll be watching the game for commercials!

I doubt it, rapa. Not reading quite as long each time these days. Got other things going on. Do you believe I just finished doing dishes? Right now I’m doing the many things necessary to get the house ready to sell. I’m all finished living in a single family house. In my dotage there is too much maintenance.

I finally started going through my wife’s stuff in earnest, which gets a little traumatic at times. She was such a pack-rat! I have found things from as far back as 1958. I even found the wrist band she wore at the hospital when she gave birth to our daughter in 1970. And it can get tough to toss out things that obviously had such sentimental value to her, even though I’m sure she hadn’t looked at them in years. She just packed them away.

I have read about 100 pages of Windigo Island now and am sure it will not take long to finish it, because it is a wonderful book and I love Krueger’s novels. But before the Super Bowl? Probably not.

Oh, and I'll watch for that commercial

I read a lot of McCullough over the years.  From "The Thorn Birds" to her Roman novels, she was a very readable author.  Although I haven't read anything by her in recent years.

From that part of the world, New Zealand and not Australia, I am in the midst of a great read called "Ann Perry and the Murder of the Century" http://www.amazon.com/Perry-Murder-Century-Peter-Graham/dp/1620876302 Of note, the Ann Perry is the quite famous English mystery writer who's true tale of her commission of murder and subsequent trial is told by an investigative journalist.  (I know I'm supposed to be going on a trip, but I'm sitting around on my suitcase today as the ship leaves tomorrow from Ft. Lauderdale. What else would I be doing but reading? 

Here is a story on the Perry book: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2003/nov/12/crimebooks.features11

Today 3 from our book club went to the historic Oxford Hotel in downtown Denver for "Writers Respond To Readers" event put on by the Tattered Cover Book store.Started out at 8:45 with a continental breakfast, coffee and soft drinks all day, box lunch at noon. At 3:30 they had reception with wine and drinks and snacks and book signing. All the authors were very good and had us all wanting to buy all their books.

The authors were:

Dinaw Mengestu

Jennifer McMahan

Mary Helen Specht

Chris Bojalian

A very good full day of book talk.

What fun!!!! I envy your day!

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service