TBD

TBD on Ning

Happy 2015!!!! Did you remember to "RABBIT, RABBIT, RABBIT?"

I'm starting the new year with a debut novel by Martha Woodroof, SMALL BLESSINGS. This is a beautifully written book that will elicit laughs and tears. This heart warming story takes place in a small Virginia college town with a cast of charmingly imperfect characters.

Hope you, too, have time now to curl up with a good read.

Views: 544

Replies to This Discussion

Happy New Year to everyone!! I've been slogging through a really good - but dense - history book the past few months and hope to finish it in January, 2015. It's called SALEM WITCHCRAFT, a detailed account of the notorious witch trials of the early 1690s written by Charles W. Upham in 1867 and republished in 2000 because it's still one of the best accounts of the events. I've recently discovered through genealogy that I descend directly from Mary Towne Estey/Eastey who, along with her sister Rebecca Towne Nurse, was convicted and executed in 1692. A tragic period in American history that Upham captures in a through and balanced way. Thanks, rapa, for motivating me to come visit and post today!

Moseyer

Our local Woman's Club had a program last fall, a first person reenactment by Rebecca Towne Nurse, in which she told of her unjust accusations, trial and execution. It was riveting to say the least. It must be intriguing to know you are related to her. 

The woman who performed the reenactment also does other people.  We have also seen Mary Todd Lincoln and Eleanor Roosevelt by her in past years. 

And the very same to each of you out there in the Bookoholics realm! It is hard to believe we are here in 2015 already. But that's the case every New Year's Day it seems.

I am currrently reading a Jack Reacher novel, Never go Back. Very good, which has been the case with all the others I have read previously.

I forgot "RABBIT,RABBIT" on new years day, the most significant day to remember it!  "AUGGH". I did remember black eyed peas, turnip greens and pork chops (a substitute for ham hocks), so maybe the year will be ok.

Just finished another inexpensive book on Kindle ($4.99, although I "borrowed" it). Rewinder by Brett Battles, it was rated 4.5 stars, a 3.80 I would say. I've noticed "Zombie" books can garner a high rating and I probably would never rate a Zombie book above a 2...and I have started one, on my daughter's urging...Lasted about 15 pages. This was a pretty good book, a little confusing in places:

You will never read Denny Younger’s name in any history book, will never know what he's done. 

But even if you did, you’d never believe it. 

The world as you know it wouldn't be the same without him. 

Denny was born into one of the lowest rungs of society, but his bleak fortunes abruptly change when the mysterious Upjohn Institute recruits him to be a Rewinder, a verifier of personal histories. The job at first sounds like it involves researching old books and records, but Denny soon learns it's far from it. 

A Rewinder's job is to observe history. 

In person. 

Embracing his new life with enthusiasm, Denny witnesses things he could never even imagine before. But as exciting a life as this is, there are dangers, too. For even the smallest error can have consequences. 

Life-altering consequences. 

Time, after all, is merely a reference point. 

Just finished reading 2 books  - Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society and  The View from Here - this was a Readers Digest pick given to me by a friend.  She said I would like both books even though very different.  I did like them - the first one  the best.  I suppose I was biased because of the book thing. LOL  Before that I finished The Burning Room by Connelly - as usual very good - hope Bosch continues to rule.  Now reading Barbara Kingsolvers - The Bean Trees.  Boy is this different reading - a little of everything - variety is good.  Rapa your book sounds good - let us know if you liked it.  Did everyone make it to Carolyn's New Year's Party?  Bet she is celebrating the Bucks win today.  LOL

Am enjoying SMALL BLESSINGS tremendously! Woodroof has a way with words that makes me want want to tuck away some of her descriptive phrases.
HELLOS to Susan, Carci, Loruach, Slopok, Flower and RAPA!

FLOWER...I'm thinking that even tho' you in the more Suthin' part of Ohio...going to experience the ugly Winter Weather headed our way!

I have to wait a few days to get a "hold" on McKinty's Gun Streetgirl" but I'll keep you posted.

At our Open House one of the Guests said a fabulous Irish female Author has her captivated. Of course, like me, the name was not available in her mind while all the Ruckus was going on at our bar area. She is supposed to e-mail me details next week.

Grammie/Carci JA Jance, her Beaumont hero is the only one I can handle. The "chick" cop stuff is just too contrived/sappy for my liking. I prefer male Authors and main characters about 80% of the time. Now there are some significant exceptions.

GLENDA....I did receive The POISONWOOD Bible on audio...so looking forward to that.

SLOPOK, So do you "dress" your own deer meat? Make the famous sausage? YUM!

OPEN HOUSE...a success...some neighbors that we have a bunch in common...some Friends of the Library who help influence participation in Fund Raising. Most of all...good food, wine, lots of laughs about food disasters, selling and buying homes, moving and the challenges of life in NE OHIO! Lol
Thought I'd share these suggested reads to anticipate. Have missed John Irving.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/top-10-most-antic...

Thanks rapa, I bookmarked that site, looks like some good reads.

I'm first on the reserve list for this book just being released.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/04/books/review/edith-pearlman-honey...

Good short stories satisfy and one can put the book down at will. Will be a good book to take to waiting rooms!

I just re-read The Street Lawyer, a book I enjoy each time I read it.  That wet my appetite for more John Grisham so I downloaded The Racketeer,  to our Kindle.  I am pretty sure I have not read it.  I also downloaded a free book The One You Love by Paul Pilkington. The One You Love's dialogue is not great but the plot is. It has my interest.  Kind of a "B" book. 

I drove to my Florida home from Kentucky over the past couple of days, with the book-on-disc making the miles fly by.  "Restless" by William Boyd was an excellent story of a WWII secret service operation with British Intelligence plotting to get America into the war.  The book has been made into a movie and won prizes.  Coupled with this was "Heat Lightning," a John Sandford Virgil Flowers crime story placed in Minnesota. Sandford delights with a well plotted detective story.  

I am now reading "The Shell Collectors."  http://www.amazon.com/The-Shell-Collector-Hugh-Howey-ebook/dp/B00PY...  As a former collector of shells, the story hits home with much detail about the world of sea shells and the ecology of the oceans. 

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service