TBD

TBD on Ning

Happy 2014 to all !!!  Shall we start thinking about listing our best and worst reads of 2013?

I'm almost finished Grisham's SYCAMORE ROW and totally enjoying it. Not yet finished Turow's IDENTICAL.  Have GUESTS ON EARTH: a novel by Lee Smith waiting at library.

What's on your plate?

Views: 637

Replies to This Discussion

Just saw the movie yesterday... powerful stuff!  And hard to watch.  I kept thinking of the loved ones of those men who would see this movie and realize how horribly they died.

Yes, it is playing at my local theater, and I plan to take it in.  I'll probably burn the midnight oil as I try to finish it.  There has been some controversy about the story, as it is said to promote war.  The book is giving a lot of background and insight into the character of the SEAL team and the kind of people who aspire to dedicate their lives and potential death to carrying out the mission.  In the world of the SEAL, the mission is everything; in the world of politics, the mission is often debatable.  There lies the rub. 

Rapa, what did you think of "Guests on Earth"?  I loved it!  Now I have to find a book or two about Zelda.  With me, one thing leads to another in my reading life!

Joanne, I really enjoyed the book!  Having worked in the first hospital where Zelda was a patient prior to Highland, I could relate to the treatments used back then including the cold, wet sheet wraps, insulin and shock therapy.  Thought that Lee Smith did good job developing the characters.  She lives in NC and perfectly described the area.

You might enjoy another historical novel, BELLE CORA.  The saga is based on a real woman by the name of Belle Cora, who due to circumstances became one of the most revered parlor house madams in San Francisco during the CA gold rush days.  I've ordered a book about the Madams of that era to research the life and times. 

Just finished Police by Jo Nesbo, which reminded me of what a great detective, Harry Hole is.  Ray

Just dropped by the Retirement Community Library on my morning bike ride and found "Life after Life" by Kate Atkinson on the shelf. This a NYT top ten on an interesting premise, of one person who lives then dies a series of times over the first half of the 20th century.  The novel has been highly acclaimed. 

As I respect the rest of my neighbors, I try to read these library books as quickly as possible so others may enjoy the story.  It is on my "next to read" pile.    The Library is run an an entirely "trust" basis.  As my used book seller is seldom a source of my books anymore, I have decided to donate all my read books to the Retirement Community Library. 

I'm reading Chasing Windmills by Catherine Ryan Hyde.  While I have loved all of the books by her that I have read, the jury is still out on this one.

Killing Jesus is in transit to my library branch for me so I guess that will be next on my TBR.  Has anyone here read it?

I read "Killing Jesus" about a month ago.  It is well researched and uses the Bible as it's narrative source.  The book lays out the political situation of the time of the Roman Empire, describes the horrific oppression of the Romans on their subjects, and gives some excellent background on the major players in the most famous death of all time.  It was well worth the reading and I found nothing offensive in the way it was portrayed. Bill O"Reilly is a practicing Roman Catholic. 

Totally agree with Mandy Muffin.  I downloaded KILLING JESUS to my Kindle when it was under $2 on Amazon.  Excellent historical read!!!!  I read it while working my machine at the Fitness Center as this is a "pick it up and put it down" type book.

RAPA...thanks for the head's up on Killing Jesus...it is waiting for me at Library as of today.

More comments in a bit...still handling Vacation Payback from my Florida trip...ahem, I am in Chagrin Falls, Ohio...and we made national news AGAIN tonight with our extreme weather. BOO HISS!

Finished a beautifully written THE ORCHARDIST, A very different book that leaves you wanting more. 

http://www.amazon.com/Orchardist-Amanda-Coplin-ebook/dp/B007EDCZMW/...

Now starting Lisa Unger's new psychological fiction IN THE BLOOD.

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Novel-Lisa-Unger-ebook/dp/B00APJ0XNK/re...

I am also reading In The Blood but it's a different author

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bookseries/B00GK6IJ56/kindle/ref=sr_1_1_ac...

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service