TBD

TBD on Ning

Happy 2014 to all !!!  Shall we start thinking about listing our best and worst reads of 2013?

I'm almost finished Grisham's SYCAMORE ROW and totally enjoying it. Not yet finished Turow's IDENTICAL.  Have GUESTS ON EARTH: a novel by Lee Smith waiting at library.

What's on your plate?

Views: 637

Replies to This Discussion

I've always liked the Best and Worst lists; how should we do it?  Are we trying to come up with group bests and worsts or just sharing our individual ones as part of the thread?

Am open to suggestions about the Best and Worst lists.  If members would like to do it as we did on eons, I'd be willing to create the lists and post them in a few weeks.  Those who wish could PM me with their nominations.  Otherwise we could simply start a BEST/WORST discussion and everyone could post their choices there.

Any feedback???

Just finished the Orphan Train and really liked it. Also just read The Language of Flowers for the book club, was surprised that I liked it. Had my doubts when I started it, but ended up really enjoying it.

I loved the book so much I purchased the painting:

Well, I don't think the Metropolitan Museum would sell it even if I offered several million dollars, but I did purchase a nice reproduction which is acclaimed to be museum quality. 

This is what "The Goldfinch" is all about.  (Read the NYT review at your own risk, as some of the story is revealed.)  http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/08/books/the-goldfinch-a-dickensian-...

It is probably among the top 20 or so novels I have read in my lifetime.  It is a roller-coaster ride that examines life from every vantage point.  Does live imitate art or does art imitate life?  This is core question that I pulled for the many hours it takes to go through the long narrative that takes a young lad from 13 to 26 or so.  It crosses America from the art world of NYC to the gambling Mecca of Las Vegas, then to Amsterdam the shady city of European evil doings.

Everything sounds so good I just put a hold on the book at my library. (Unfortunately, I am number 36 on the list.)

Today I picked up BELLE CORA, by Phillip Margulies,  a historical saga hot off the press!  Here, read about this novel on Amazon and you'll see why I'm excited to delve into this story.

http://www.amazon.com/Belle-Cora-Novel-Phillip-Margulies-ebook/dp/B...    

Oh boy! I finished this captivating saga after several nights of reading until 3:00 a.m. as literally couldn't put it down.  Phillip Margulies has written several science, political and history books for young adults.  This is his first novel and he hit gold!  This book is built around a real Belle Cora and I plan to research her tale. I'll try to find Curt Gentry's book THE MADAMS OF SAN FRANCISCO.

BINGO!!!!  I found the book via Abe Books.  Its coming from a book store in Frederick, MD, free shipping and total cost $4.89.  The used book on Amazon was much more! During the Gold Rush there were multi parlor houses in San Francisco, all with stories.  Not as easy life, for sure!

Just finished Darkness First by James Hayman: 

http://smile.amazon.com/Darkness-First-McCabe-Savage-Thriller-ebook...

This is the 3rd in his McCabe/Savage detective/mystery series.  I started this series because it's set in Portland, Maine - my hometown - and I liked the personal recognition of locales, accurately depicted local flavor, etc.  The original novel (The Cutting) was also very good in its plot and structure.  But each installment gets better and I think Hayman is well on his way to join the best authors of this genre.  Darkness First has a page-turning plot that left me guessing almost until the end.  On the personal side, this book was set mainly in Downeast Maine and included such towns as Roque Bluffs (less than 500 population!) where my paternal grandfather was born and East Machias where my grandparents lived most of their lives and where I have great childhood memories of summer visits there.  This book and the whole series would satisfy most any detective/mystery lover!

I'm settling in with "The Son" by Philipp Meyer.  http://www.amazon.com/Son-Philipp-Meyer-ebook/dp/B009NF6YLM/ref=sr_...  There is nothing like a good Texas saga.  I can recall my days in San Antonio (I had a uniform on then), as well as adventures in the West Texas Fort Davis area, where the cowboy still rides the range.  I have consumed all the Larry McMurtry books with joy, and can see this will also be a joy to read. 

In August, I read and thoroughly enjoyed this epic saga of the savage settling of Texas from 1849-1977. It was one of my favorite 2013 reads! 

There have been two massacres in the first 100 pages of the book.  Wow!  That should keep me interested.  While I was in Fort Davis, I met with some local cowboys and vaqueros, who told of the old west and the land west of the Pecos. 

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service