TBD

TBD on Ning

Happy December!  Busy month for most of us but always time to relax with a good read!  I've finished Amy Tan's THE VALLEY OF AMAZEMENT and thoroughly enjoyed it.  It tells the story of a mother and daughter who were both high class courtesans in China. The story covers forty years. 

Currently well into David Baldacci's KING AND MAXWELL.  Am quite enjoying following King and Maxwell--former Secret Service agents turned private investigators, as they try to help a teenage boy prove that his father who was reported killed in Afghanistan is alive and not a traitor.  Story moves quickly and lots of action!

What are you reading???????

Views: 981

Replies to This Discussion

Don't think you'd want to go on a cruise to Antarctica anymore... 

And you are correct!!  A friend did that a few years ago and loved it.  Did you see the news article last week about the ship that got caught in the ice near Antarctica and had to wait 2 days for the rescue ship to come get them??  Not my idea of a fun vacation!!

Yes, that is what I was referring to... then the rescue ship got caught in the ice as well...

I finished Defending Jacob a couple of days ago and it left me with a big question...  if anyone wants to PM me I will tell you what that question is and maybe you can fill me in on the answer... or absence of an answer.

I am now halfway through A Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith.  When I got this book from the library I didn't realize who the author was until I read the inside cover.  I wasn't thrilled to read it after that but so far I has held my interest even though it moves a little slowly.  I guess that is the English influence.

Carci...e-mail me about Defending Jacob...tho it has been over 18 months ago since I read. I have Cuckoo's...listen to 5 minutes of Disc #1...it is in car to go back to Library.

Evanovich...never felt inclined to read in past 6 years. From the "toss dart at book list" came up with one from 1996...decided to try something newer...like 2008 so placed a few holds. Any helpful ideas about her books. She does the Plum series and note Fantastic 16 and other numbers? I always thought those were her short stories.

Just got in this afternoon.  Have been fighting heavy traffic and rain all day today.  Orlando was bumper to bumper and hardly moving.  I wonder if all those folks were going to Disney World?  My place is about 60 miles south of there.  It was 78 degrees on my lanai where I plan to spend the night, smelling the sweet air, listening to the birds and other night noises of the Everglades and watching things actually growing.  I have been cooped up in freezing weather for nearly 5 weeks straight.  Why do I go north for the Holidays?  Maybe I can Skype it next year.  I'm starting on "Killing Jesus" by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard.  I enjoyed the prior two "killing" book involving Lincoln and Kennedy.  The research was well done and the narration crisp and easily readable.   http://www.target.com/p/killing-jesus-a-history-by-bill-o-reilly-ma...

Glad you had a safe trip.  Am sure you're happy to to be back with the snow birds. 

I, too, have started reading O/Reilly/Dugard's KILLING JESUS. Downloaded it to my iPad a couple weeks ago when Kindle had it for about $3. It's the first book I've paid for. Mainly read it at the Fitness Center while working my machine.  Very well written and excellent history lesson! At home am reading SYCAMORE ROW and it's moving quickly.  Am eager to get to the trial!

This is one of my top (if not the top) book for 2013.  It has all the makings of a great movie. I was able to purchase a number of books for my Kindle when Amazon ran a promotion called the "10 days of Christmas" a couple of weeks ago.  All top sellers were under $3, including the Wally Lamb latest.     

Just finished Where We Belong by Catherine Ryan Hyde, very good.  I've really liked almost all of her books but I think this one is the best yet, highly recommended.

I love Catherine Ryan Hyde's books but my library only has a few of them.  I got 2 free ones on my kindle awhile back.  This one is not at my library.

I just finished The Cuckoo's Calling...  it was pretty good, an English mystery so it moved slowly but had a good ending.  I suspect we will see another with Strike and Robin.

Have 1/2 dozen library books on the shelf TBR...  think I'll go for When Darkness Falls by James Grippando.  Just found it on the library shelf and it looked good... I'll let you know later   :)

After reading the O'Reilly version of "the greatest story ever told," I was lucky enough to find a copy of "W is for Wasted" at the retirement complex library exchange. 

I can't find any fault with the O'Reilly book, "Killing Jesus."  There wasn't much to add to a story that has been around since Biblical days.  I was taken aback with the violence, immorality of the Romans and disrespect for human life at the time.  It was not a nice place to live, unless you were the King, Emperor or whatever.  Jesus didn't stand a chance with these guys running the place. 

I will be good to spend a little time with Kinsey Millhone as she heads for the alphabet finish line.  I picked her up in the 1980s with her A is for Alibi beginnings and have moved on since then, but she is still there in Santa Teresa regretting her two bad marriages and looking for trouble.  It will find her. 

I have always been amused that Ms. Millhone has failed to age in 30 plus years.  Now that it's getting close, I do wonder how the series will end.  Any ideas??

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service