TBD

TBD on Ning

Happy December!  Busy month for most of us but always time to relax with a good read!  I've finished Amy Tan's THE VALLEY OF AMAZEMENT and thoroughly enjoyed it.  It tells the story of a mother and daughter who were both high class courtesans in China. The story covers forty years. 

Currently well into David Baldacci's KING AND MAXWELL.  Am quite enjoying following King and Maxwell--former Secret Service agents turned private investigators, as they try to help a teenage boy prove that his father who was reported killed in Afghanistan is alive and not a traitor.  Story moves quickly and lots of action!

What are you reading???????

Views: 981

Replies to This Discussion

:) I figured that out after I'd posted!!!! Great-granddaughter's mother has a spectacular private blog that she keeps current which is fabulous.  Each picture blog tells a story!!!

Well, I finished up A Door in the River a few days ago; holy cow, was it good, not an easy read (nothing cozy about this mystery, it deals with a very harsh subject), but so well written.  Now I'm reading what someone else here in the group (don't remember who, sorry) recommended, The Astronaut Wives Club; it's excellent also.

Starting "The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon" by Brad Stone.  Ironically, I have a hard cover book version.  But I do own about 500 E-Books for my Kindle.  So far the book chronicles the life a young Princeton graduate who moves to NYC and the financial world, where he specializes in combining the Internet and the world of money and commerce.  At 29 he ventures off on his own, deciding to move to Seattle and go into the book business.  He did start in his garage and grew into the huge company Amazon is today.  It is intriguing to see his values develop, as he decides that satisfying the customer is his number one goal, not necessarily just selling books.  In fact, one of the values is to welcome reviews of the books by all customers, even those that are severely critical.  Booksellers told him he was nuts.  Why would he encourage people to criticize a product he is trying to sell?  I have written many reviews of Amazon books and products.  Everyone was published, even though some were very critical, and everything I returned was taken back without question as they provide free UPS service. There is some talk of Jeff Bezos being named the Time Magazine "Person of the Year."

http://www.amazon.com/The-Everything-Store-Bezos-Amazon-ebook/dp/B0...

I finally finished Inferno, Dan Brown’s latest.  But what to say about it? In a way it was like taking a guided tour of Florence, Italy, and then some of Venice as well.  In fact, I did google the site and found a couple videos that did just that.  Plus, all the art, sculpture and historical events mentioned in the novel definitely opened up all sorts of google opportunities, especially as the story delves into some of the more obscure aspects of ancient history and religion.  To see some “interesting” sculpture I might suggest that you google Herecules and Diomedes by Vincenzo de Rossi.

As far as the story itself is concerned, I rather liked it and found it interesting (and even educational).  Certainly, the fact that the book used 450 pages to cover about 24 hours left plenty of opportunity for great detail and insight to the Middle ages.  And the issue Brown addresses is one that should be of concern to the future of humanity.

I've just started "22 Britannia Road". It's a WWII story set in England involving immigrants from Poland. I'm just barely into it so can't tell too much yet. It's the selection for a book club I've been invited to visit. I'm not sure about the whole thing. I think they read more high brow than I do. My friend that invited me says they're not fancy at all - - we'll see. At least I've gotten a good (I hope) book recommendtion out of it all! And there will be food at the meeting!

Speaking of highbrow (TNBopeep)  I started reading Donna Tartt's first book.  Anyone else tried it.  As Carolyn Tewell says, it seems a little above my pay grade.  I have read the first 100 pages and I think the reason she writes a book only every 10 years is evident.  The dictionary must be worn out.  I know I am getting there.  Also reading Adrian McKinty's - The Dead Yard - good so far.  We have about 6 inches of snow and still falling here but supposed to warm up to 34 this afternoon, so maybe some will disappear.  I read that Cairo, Egypt had their first snowfall in 112 years and the kids are loving making snowmen, wonder how they knew how?  LOL.

They managed to do it their own way

And of course 

The real thing looked like this

THANKS, LIP SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!  Love seeing the real thing!

Thanks Lip Service for the great pictures.  Loved the hookah snowman. LOL

I belong to two book clubs. One is definitely my style the really makes me get out of my box, which I think it is good as I get to read something I never would have chosen. that one book club some one told me when I first went there that  if my station in life was different I would enjoy the books they choose. another girl that started the same time I did was insulted by that and never came back. I just hung in there and its been almost two years now, my station in life hasn't changed ,but at least some of them talk to me now.

Tues. because of the holidays, we will have both book clubs.The one we will discuss "My Antonina" this one they will have snacks and starts at 9:30 AM usually goes to 11AM. Then at 11:30 we will meet at a local restaurant Atlanta Bread Company for lunch and do the book discussion there. We will be discussing "A Week In The Winter"

Have read Jan books for both clubs. "the Art Of Racing In The Rain" and "Dandelion Summer." Liked both of them.

Whoa, Eaglewoman; I had a similar experience with a book club, a bunch of wealthy, highly-educated  (I found out after I joined) women who had a very narrow outlook on everything, not just books.  I hung in there a little longer than you did but they never did warm up to me or any other new members--you must be nicer than me, lol--or in fact, even to each other; these women had all been in this club for over 15 yrs. but still didn't know each other's names (even the first); they weren't there to make friends or even just be friendly, they were there to hold forth on what they thought of the books & talked at each other rather than with each other.  So I bailed. I thought about maybe starting a "blue-collar" bookclub but heard from a couple of social directors here in town that this place is terrible to get any kind of club started.  So I'm grateful for this group here on teebeedee; you all are great! :-)

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service