TBD

TBD on Ning

In August most of Europe seems to go on holiday. What are you doing?

I'm trying to stay cool in triple digits. Tolerable in a/c with low humidity and a stack of good reads.

Am reading a delightful, quirky debut novel. Here, take a look/see:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Book-Speculation-A-Novel/dp/125005480X

What are you reading?

Views: 563

Replies to This Discussion

Loruach I had the same thing happen on the computer with digital books.  Go Set a Watchman came available after 2 mos. - while reading it -Greg Isles book Mortal Fear became available and now another I ordered is awaiting - both of these on hold since March - now here all at once -may have to forfeit the last book and place on hold again as the Isles book is over 500 pages and I am halfway through it.  Just never enough time to read. LOL and you are right too many much better than not enough.

HELLO FUNSEEKERS!

I've been reading/listening several books...but nothing to rave about. I did watch GONE GIRL movie. No wonder I was lost listening to the book...the movie was confusing for fist 1/3 of the show. But it was engrossing suspense. ALERT! R-Rated...some scenes difficult to watch but actors to be applauded for such a realistic portrayal.

At the moment THE MURDER ARTIST by John Case circa 2004 read by Dick Hill is my night-time adventure (heh, heh, heh) and I am liking it a bunch. John Case is a Florida writer which is why I like his stuff.

Speaking of Readers. Dick Hill and Scott Brick are so awesome. I have noticed that Hill sounds a bit cragy these days...dang age thing catching up. But in 2004 his voice was rich and vibrant. I often pick books by the reader. Many of us like the mystery writer who features DOGS. The reader sounds just like someone who shares this affection. And no I can't remember names??? How did I get on a BOOKOHOLICS site anyway?

USED BOOK SALE at library this week...so I will be working the check-out counter! CHA-CHING! And I will be buying also. Then I donate back ...what a great event we have in our County. Per capita action is the largest in state of Ohio....jes' sayin.'~carolyn

Carolyn I went to our library

giant book sale this year for the first time.  So overwhelmed with all the books could not remember who I wanted to buy - went home with a bag of books and 2 of my purchases I already had. LOL.  Customers so swamped the place - difficult to move let alone think.  Next time I will carry a list and look more.  Did like the idea and raises lots of moola for our library - I always buy when they have on the shelf sales and donate to friends or back to library.  The library has been special to me - as a child I got lost in all the wonderful books they had - preferred grown up books (Tom Sawyer, Robinson Crusoe -etc.) rather than the childrens books.  Still do.  Glad you are on this site - keep the comments coming.

A good bookie friend in the DC area has recommended this book and author.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/01/books/review/kazuo-ishiguros-the-...

Have any of you read him???? Am sure it's too much fantasy for me!!!!!!

The story is being told by an aged woman who now lives on the Oregon coast, "The Nightingale" by Kristin Hannah takes you to France during the German occupation, as two sisters try to survive the horrors of WWII.https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21853621-the-nightingale  It is beautifully written and holds your attention, as it joins a host of stories that have been told of this tragic time.  I was lucky enough to spend a month in rural France a few years back, reliving a lot of history there. The scars of the German occupation haven't gone completely.  

Kristin Hannah intended to write a WWII from a woman perspective which is seldom done.

She found a memoir of a Belgian woman in the resistance which inspired her to write this book

Here she is talking about how the book came to be

http://www.tvw.org/index.php?option=com_tvwplayer&eventID=20150...

Excellent read!!! Highly recommend it!

Thanks for the reference!  I am enjoying the book so far, as the horrors of the Nazi invasion of France are unfolding. 

If you are looking for inexpensive (cheap) E-books, today Amazon's Book Gorilla has a bunch of them.  I purchased "If I Stay" as I had read most of the others or I just wasn't interested.  http://www.bookgorilla.com/ ; In my opinion, this is the best site for bargains on E-books.  Just click on the Deals icon for the best sellers that are on special today.  For $1.99 why bother driving to the library. 

My Kindle is well loaded but seldom read. Going to the library for me is a destination and a pleasure! Love the feel of a paper book, watching the children absorbed in story hour and casual chats with browsing "Bookies."

OK, I agree with the library visit and interacting with people.  Not everything in life is just an economic decision.  I mix the two pretty much.  But $1.99 is pretty tempting to have a NYT best seller to read at your convenience without a waiting list, one week only restriction or sometimes the difficulty of handling a small print, sizable tome.  Lately the book sizes and small print have been the worst problem for me, as these old eyes can't see the way they used to and the hands are filled with arthritis. 

Mandy, I've been fortunate with getting best sellers that I want to read and all books are released for three weeks with renewals if no waiting list. For instance, Tuesday I finished reading Louise Penny's THE NATURE OF THE BEAST and that was the scheduled date for it's public release. Will not post spoilers until others have read it.

Currently reading THE LITTLE PARIS BOOKSHOP by Nina George and BADLANDS by C. J. Box.

Understand that Lee Child is releasing a new Reacher book, MAKE ME. Has anyone heard if John Irving has anything in the works?

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service