TBD

TBD on Ning

Am thoroughly enjoying Elizabeth Strout's THE BURGESS BOYS.  Almost finished Jonathan Kellerman's GUILT, which I put on the back burner. Next up William Kent Kruger's stand alone novel ORDINARY GRACE.  Tomorrow will pick up Harlan Coben's SIX YEARS and Lisa Gardner's TOUCH & GO.  Have 7 more on my reserve list and hope they don't come in anytime soon!  My plate runneth over!!!

What are you reading?

Views: 557

Replies to This Discussion

I just finished Derby Day by D.J. Taylor, which was nominated for the 2011 Man Booker Prize.  (The Derby referred to in the title is the English Epsom Derby, not our own Kentucky Derby.)  In  fact, in spite of the title, any Derby and even horse racing itself is only an incidental part of the story.

The novel is touted as a Victorian mystery and takes place in mid or the late 19th century.  Its most interesting feature are all the characters, featuring assorted scoundrels and other lowlifes that inhabit London and the surrounding countryside during that time.  The book is written in the Victorian style of that period, using words like vouchsafe, forthwith, gainsaid, a scopegrace and mentions ladies playing spillikins, and on and on.  

So at the end, the novel provides for some rather slow reading, similar I suppose, to picking up a work by William Thackeray or Anthony Trollope. I enjoyed the book, but would hesitate starting another one like it very soon.

I am currently reading Margaret Coel's - The Spiders Web and just finished Dana Stabenow's - A Taint in the Blood.  Have ordered from the library - Last Standing Woman by Winona LaDuke and from Ohio e-book have ordered Lamb by Moore.  Thanks to all of you who keep my list going. 

Have started Harlan Coben's SIX YEARS.  Today picked up Robert Crais's SENTRY.  Just had a call that Elizabeth Berg's TAPESTRY OF FORTUNES is in for me.  http://www.amazon.com/Tapestry-Fortunes-Novel-Elizabeth-Berg/dp/081...   Will probably have to forego the Tami Hoag and Lisa Gardner books that I've not yet started.  Looks like I have a variety of stories at my fingertips!  Good that March Madness is over so I'll find more reading time!

Made the mistake of reading the prologue in SENTRY tonight.  It's going to be a long night!!!!!

Am cleansing my palate after trying to get through SIX YEARS by reading Elizabeth Berg's new release TAPESTRY OF FORTUNES.  For the record, this is a chick read!

http://www.amazon.com/Tapestry-Fortunes-Novel-Elizabeth-Berg/dp/081...

I stayed up half the night after beginning the true store of a daring WWII rescue on the Island of New Guinea: "Lost in Shangri-La" by Mitchell Zuckoff.  http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Shangri-La-Survival-Adventure-Incredible...  And it's only $3.99 on Amazon Kindle.  I have Doctorow's "Homer and Langley" and Michael Connelly's "The Drop" lined up after that. 

Mandy, I read Shangri-La a couple of years ago and it was  very good.  If you like that type of non-fiction I can recommend 2 others that are excellent as well:  6 Minutes to Freedom and Unbroken

I read "Unbroken" last year and loved it.  But I will check out "Six Minutes to Freedom."  Added "A Week in Winter" to my stack, as it was sitting on the shelf at the complex library.  That will complete my readings of Binchy, as I recently read "Whitethorn Woods" and "Nights of Rain and Stars."  She has been my little Irish friend, as I once spent a couple of weeks among the fine folks who were the subjects of her many stories.  "Night of Rain and Stars" did take place in Greece but had a character who was Irish.   

Reading Kate Atkinson's Life After Life and Two Graves by lincoln Child/Douglas Preston.

Last night I finished Elizabeth Berg's new TAPESTRY OF FORTUNES.  It's definitely chick lit, short and for me barely ho hum. I agree with one reviewer that the story is too pat, moves too quickly and has no depth. It seems unlikely to me that four middle aged women from diverse backgrounds and were not long time friends would embark on the type of trip described in the story. This might be a beach read for an afternoon or for a quick escape read.

http://www.amazon.com/Tapestry-Fortunes-Novel-Elizabeth-Berg/dp/081...

The People of The Sea by David Thomson.  About the selchie legend in Ireland, Scotland, and the outer islands.  It's very evocative of the locals' way of life and if you like to read written dialects, you'll love this.  And of course there are the seals.  They're nice too. 

Today from the stacks picked up a new book by Jennifer Cody Epstein.  Name of the book is THE GODS OF HEAVENLY PUNISHMENT   This is described as an achingly humane portrait of wartime Japan and the connection between the victims and the victors.  It tells the story of several families, American and Japanese, their loves and infidelities, their dreams and losses, and how they are all connected by one of the most devastating acts of war in human history. 

Here, take a look/see:

http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Heavenly-Punishment-Novel/dp/039307157X/...

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service