TBD

TBD on Ning

"Isn't it appropriate that the month of the tax begins with April Fools Day and ends with cries of 'May Day? " (Unknown)

Now that I've settled with Uncle Sam and have that monkey off my back, will treat myself to some good reading. Did finish a hard to put down murder mystery with a phenomenal ending. Check out THE KIND WORTH KILLING:a novel by Peter Swenson.

Currently am fully engrossed in Allen Eskens's THE LIFE WE BURY. Soo nice having some time to get back to relaxing with my stories.

What are you reading now?

Views: 537

Replies to This Discussion

Best wishes for you and your hubby on Monday

Drove up from Florida to Northern Kentucky on an unplanned trip.  Three books-on-discs made the crowded and rainy highway go by faster:"Lethal Legacy" by Linda Fairstein takes you into the world of rare books and rarer maps.  Good information about the New York Public Library and the collector who have gifted their books to that institution.  Two good detective stories by Robert Crais: "Indigo Sam" and "VooDoo River."  I don't know how I ever traveled before books-on-disc. 

Books-on-disc are great for traveling specially on planes

I usually rip the books to MP3 files and put them on the MP3 player which lasts for 11 hours

On the plane, you just put on your earphones and close your eyes for the full trip. Time just flies

Lip Service, If I close my eyes to listen to a good book, I'd be asleep by page 20 and the book would go on without me... lol

I will say that listening to a book puts me to sleep too, so I don't listen to them when I go to bed.  What is frustrating is trying to track back to where I dozed off so I can pick up the story again.  Luckily, they don't have that effect on my while I drive.

Finished The Girl In The Woods by Gregg Olsen.  If you want to read about lesbian sex (an image which will stick in my brain for awhile) written by a man, no less... this is the book for you.  I'm sorry I read it, but once you hit that passage it is too late to go back...  

Don't get me wrong, I have a relative I love who is lesbian and I love all her friends... I just don't want to read about the actual act... I told DH he wouldn't like this book, I just didn't tell him why...

I am now reading a book that the library is having a discussion on next week, but I am up north and will not be able to be there but I am enjoying the book.  It is The Long-Shining Waters by Danielle Sosin,  It is 3 stories set around Lake Superior, almost 4 hundred years apart... very interesting...  1622, 1902, 2000... the chapters keep changing, like reading 3 books at once... in 3 different locations around the big lake... 2000, Wisconsin... 1902, Minnesota... 1622, Michigan I think?...

The book is very poetic which I suspect is why it won the Milkweed National Fiction Prize.  I am only 50 pages in but enjoying the 3 separate stories.

RAPA...add me to the list of those who are sending arrow prayers for protocol of Pacemaker surgery. My mother had it and she recovered very fast. Gave her new energy for sure. We kidded about it for a few months and thankfully she was a good sport!

FLYING...I used to take my CD PLAYER but switched out to getting Playaways from Library...so small and compact...just easier to carry in purse.

AUDIOBOOKS...Heh, heh, heh...evil laugh! I mostly listen when going to sleep! Maybe take in the camper on long ride or when managing a hike in the 'hood...oh and sometimes when cleaning kitchen, emptying litter boxes or tuning out my....um...never mind! I see on the horizon that regular Cd's will go the way of cassettes. MP3's are challenging ...fall asleep on chapter 20 and then wake up on Chapter 57...or worse having the thing play all night. Lots of battery usage for sure. Nothing for it. I can't sleep without listening to a book after 10 years of habit. Playaways is same dynamic.

Then their is the option of loading onto iPAD. Have not tried yet...hate to take the device to bed...but that is in my future, I am thinking.

BTW, did finish ENDANGERED by CJ BOX on MP3. Did not think it was one of his best...sort of contrived but loved NATE as always. NO SPOILER!~mellowgal

I made it to the local library in Florence KY and picked up "Leaving Time" by Picoult and "The Escape" by Baldacci.  Both were available in large print editions.  Except for the extra size of the book, the larger print is much easier on these old eyes that have been through cataract operations and have become accustomed to adjusting print size on Kindle.  I always love Picoult and her insights into the human spirit. I believe I have read every book she has ever written.  She places her stories in the New England villages and towns where I grew up and her characters have the same flawed personalities that plague us all. And who isn't fascinated by elephants?  Library books have a distinct advantage over E-books, being absolutely free.  Well, my property taxes do go toward the support of the institution.    

MANDY...Maybe it is just my Library but when I want to read a popular book I place a "HOLD" on a Large Print whenever it is available!!! Usually only 4 to 6 members ahead of me while the regular publications have like 18 to 40??? I love Large Print!

I don't bother with the library I have in Florida as it is the same thing  -- stand in line and wait.  But the Boone County Library has six branches and keeps the shelves filled with the latest editions.  I seldom have to put holds on the best sellers. http://www.bcpl.org/library/locations/ They run sales on the extra books after the book is no longer as popular.  Also, the books are let out for all the branches, so if a book is not available at the library branch you are using, it will be transferred from another branch the next day.  A couple of summers ago they accumulated the entire Louise Penny collection for me in just one day.  They also have several rows of large print books available.  I have been using libraries all my life and this is the best one I have ever experienced. 

Not only are there less people waiting for large print books but our library lets new books out for only 7 days but large print are always 3 week loans... maybe they figure us older folks need more time to read a book...  lol...  we are the ones with lots of time to read...  DH & I can sometimes both read a 7 day book before it is due back... like the latest Joe Picket book... Endangered.   They didn't have it in large print yet so we had to read fast!

Mandy our library here in Ohio has the same thing.  I have a large collection of books in my garage that I have bought at their sales and friends trade back and forth with me.  It is so handy to have your own library when snow and ice keeps you from traveling.  When finished we will hold a garage sale and the money goes to our Parkinsons group.  We love recycling.  I use the large print books also.  Good for tired old eyes. LOL

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service