TBD

TBD on Ning

First Category: Things to do with the outdoors.

First person posts a word that begins with "A", next person posts a word that begins with "B" & so on.
The person who posts the "Z" word comes up with a new category & begins it with a "A" word.
TWIST THROWN IN ON 9/9/10: We're on a category that begins w/an "A" - how about we start choosing categories alphabetically? So the next person who posts the "Z" answer chooses a new category that begins w/"B". '-)

As of 9/12/10, we've covered:

> Things to do w/the OUTDOORS

> SONG TITLES

> DELECTABLE FOOD

> ANIMALS

> SITCOMS

> KITCHEN UTENSILS (I loved that one, Chez! '-)

> ACTORS/ACTRESSES

> FAMOUS WOMEN

> FLOWERS

> PLANES, TRAINS & AUTOMOBILES

> ANATOMY

> HISTORICAL EVENTS

> TRAVEL

> MUSICIANS
> BOOKS
> COLORS
> JOB DESCRIPTIONS
> TYPES OF FRUIT
> U.S. CITIES 
> HOME & GARDEN
> HOLIDAYS & TRADITIONS
> ARTISTS
> ATHLETES
> BOY'S NAMES
> COMMERCIALS/ADS
> DRUGS/MEDICATIONS
> ECO FRIENDLINESS
> ALL THINGS FRENCH
> GAGS
> RECIPES
>THINGS ITALIAN
> GIRLS' NAMES
> UNUSUAL FAMILY NAMES

Tags: Alphabet Games, Fun, Word Games

Views: 7542

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

from www.polishroots.org:

What does -ski mean? In Polish it's an adjectival suffix, meaning simply "of, from, connected with, pertaining to."

"H"

We had a great Uncle whose name was Richard.

His siblings called him Ditchie...which was odd in and of itself...

The kids called him "Herman", behind his back, because of his resemblance to Herman Munster.

"I"

My cousin as a child had a dance teacher called "Miss Idella." Idella was her first name, and she referred to herself much the same as other artistic types - hairdressers, etc. - refer to themselves. My cousin and her brother won first prize once on "Ted Mac's Amateur Hour," for their acrobatic dancing in the fifties, but they never did become famous and go on to make movies, as my aunt had hoped.

Okay, I don't really have a "J". I'm gonna throw a couple things out here, but feel free to add a better "J".

I had a great uncle named James (I know; that's not unusual ;-p)

Here's the unusual part: When people referred to him & his wife, they always referred to "James & Irene".

But we called him "Uncle Pete." His name wasn't Pete or Peter. I have no idea why we called him Uncle Pete. ;-p

Does 2 weak ones = 1 solid one? (no)

anyway- I had grandfather who would use "June bug" as an endearing name, the way people use "honey" or "sweetheart".

How bizzare...My dad's brother, James, was called"Pete"!

My Dad told me he was a runt as a child and kids taunted him with "Pee-wee" which turned into "Pete".

My "J" is my brother Jim...for the longest time he was called "Jimmer"...Still is on occasion.

That's interesting about the non-Pete Petes. My husband's uncle was an Edward, but no one ever called him that or Ed or Eddie. He was "Mike" for some strange reason. (His middle name was not Mike, either).

I am skipping K and going on to L.

The name "Lemon" as a first name seems to be somewhat popular in Appalachia - perhaps it's a family name being used as a given name. My husband had a friend Lemon whose family name was Fresch - hence, Lemon Fresch.

That's funny, Westerly! I never heard Lemon as a name before.

Quinn wrote:

How bizzare...My dad's brother, James, was called"Pete"!

((((((Cousin!))))))

M

Okay. I know southerners have weird names for their grandparents. I don't know why.

So - I called my two grandmothers-

Mema ("Mehmaw")

&

Mamo ("Mahmoh")

;-p

I had a friend "Muffy," for Martha.

N

My husband's Aunt was called Aunt "Nete", a version of Juanita. They named her after the old song of the same name - you know - "Roses bloom where tear drops fall." ♪ ♫  I guess you would spell it Nete, if not, Neet or Neat?

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service