TBD

TBD on Ning

First Category: Things to do with the outdoors.

First person posts a word that begins with "A", next person posts a word that begins with "B" & so on.
The person who posts the "Z" word comes up with a new category & begins it with a "A" word.
TWIST THROWN IN ON 9/9/10: We're on a category that begins w/an "A" - how about we start choosing categories alphabetically? So the next person who posts the "Z" answer chooses a new category that begins w/"B". '-)

As of 9/12/10, we've covered:

> Things to do w/the OUTDOORS

> SONG TITLES

> DELECTABLE FOOD

> ANIMALS

> SITCOMS

> KITCHEN UTENSILS (I loved that one, Chez! '-)

> ACTORS/ACTRESSES

> FAMOUS WOMEN

> FLOWERS

> PLANES, TRAINS & AUTOMOBILES

> ANATOMY

> HISTORICAL EVENTS

> TRAVEL

> MUSICIANS
> BOOKS
> COLORS
> JOB DESCRIPTIONS
> TYPES OF FRUIT
> U.S. CITIES 
> HOME & GARDEN
> HOLIDAYS & TRADITIONS
> ARTISTS
> ATHLETES
> BOY'S NAMES
> COMMERCIALS/ADS
> DRUGS/MEDICATIONS
> ECO FRIENDLINESS
> ALL THINGS FRENCH
> GAGS
> RECIPES
>THINGS ITALIAN
> GIRLS' NAMES
> UNUSUAL FAMILY NAMES

Tags: Alphabet Games, Fun, Word Games

Views: 7542

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

okay, I'm snatching the Z one...

I have two...

Zabia - it's African, & means first born

&

Zada - Syrian, means "lucky one"

And now we have a new category. I think we'll stay on the name theme.

Unusual Family Names

Can be first, middle, surname or nickname.

We had a thread about this once. Or maybe we hijacked a thread & it evolved into this once. '-)

Please feel free to leave an anecdote along with your name.

A - Alma

One of my great aunts. Her first name was Alma, but she went by Lishy. I have no idea where 'Lishy' came from; I need to ask my dad that. She & her husband, my Uncle Mac, were lots of fun. They were an older, carefree couple w/no kids. They had a getaway place on a lake where we'd go & the adults would drink & barbeque & have lots of fun. I was always the only kid there, but I enjoyed it alot. She died when I was about 12 or so. When I moved out on my own after high school, my grandmother outfitted me w/a number of things, including Aunt Lishy's really cool, old, super heavy duty ironing board. It's still my ironing board. I love it. '-)

"B"

Bim

Great Aunt Marie, my paternal grandmothers sister,  was called "Bim" from an early age. No one knows why.

She was a tall woman and very formidable, we were a little bit afraid of her, but she loved having the girls over and she let us play dress-up using her jewlry and hats and fox stole.

She would give us all a quarter for penny candy at the corner store.

She adored my Dad's sister Mimi and died just a few months after my Aunt died of cancer at age 32.

C

Crisco. My sister's nick name when she was about 15 or 16. She got the name because she was kinda "fat in the can", if you know what I mean.

D

"Dodie"

My landlady's teenaged daughter never went by Dorothy, her given name. "Dodie" was a name as perky as she was. She used to ride around in cars with boys and have parties when her parents were way.

hmmm....sounds like.... well, nm. '-)

E - Ezma

My favorite relative, my only aunt or great aunt on my mother's side of the family. She was the only family member I had that called it like it was & didn't wear blinders. (besides me) She lived on the 9th floor of a 9 story apt bldg in the city, a corner apt, Apt. 931 (can't believe I still remember that). She was a tragic figure, really, a smart, good person who just never caught a break in life. Really tough childhood; a smart, undereducated person who waited tables for a living, until a health issue in her 50's or 60's qualified her for SSI. My ex & I both adored her & tended to her in her later years, doing her grocery shopping for her so she could remain independent, & moving her in w/us at the end. I was holding her hand when she died.

I miss her.

F - "Flip"

My good friend in highschool invented the knickname Flip for herself, as her last name was Filipkowski, and people mangled it or turned it into a rude joke. I guess the new name sounded cute and pert to her. However, my friend was a large and well-developed young lady, and the bouncy little name didn't seem to fir her.

omg, Westerly! My Aunt Ezma's married name was Filipkowski!! She divorced in the early 50's, I think, before I was born for sure, took her maiden name back & never remarried. But I came across her married name in some of her paperwork. I'd forgotten it until I saw it written here - RIGHT after I shared my story about Ezma - wow!
Wow! My Filipkowski was from rural CT. The family raised chickens.

My Aunt Ezma & her Filipkowski lived in Chicago together, but I have no idea where he was from.

She grew up in Atlanta. I'm not sure how she got to Chicago. I think it was a "boy" in her youth, but I'm not sure. Wait! I think Ted (her Filipkowski) was stationed in Georgia & she met him that way. Maybe not...

I don't have a G, so thought I would add to the Filipkowski thread.
See how easy it is for a thread to get hijacked.
Filipkowski, Polish: habitational name for someone from any of various places named Filipki, from the personal name Filip, a vernacular form of Greek Philippos (see Philip), with the addition of the common suffix of surnames -ski.

(and the suffix -ski, means?) Boy, this is fun!

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service