TBD

TBD on Ning

Here are the movies being released this week in theaters near you!

Tags: movie, releases, reviews

Views: 10

Replies to This Discussion

The Town - Doug MacRay (Ben Affleck) is an unrepentant criminal, the de facto leader of a group of ruthless bank robbers who pride themselves in stealing what they want and getting out clean. With no real attachments, Doug never has to fear losing anyone close to him. But that all changed on the gang's latest job, when they briefly took a hostage--bank manager, Claire Keesey (Rebecca Hall). Though they let her go unharmed, Claire is nervously aware that the robbers know her name...and where she lives. But she lets her guard down when she meets an unassuming and rather charming man named Doug...not realizing that he is the same man who only days earlier had terrorized her. The instant attraction between them gradually turns into a passionate romance that threatens to take them both down a dangerous, and potentially deadly, path.

Devil - A supernatural thriller based on an original story by M. Night Shyamalan. Messina is set to play the lead role of Bowden, a sobered-up homicide detective. No other plot details have been revealed.

Alpha and Omega - What makes for the ultimate road trip? Hitchhiking, truck stops, angry bears, prickly porcupines and a golfing goose with a duck caddy. Just ask Kate and Humphrey, two wolves who are trying to get home after being taken by park rangers and shipped halfway across the country. Humphrey is an Omega wolf, whose days are about quick wit, snappy one-liners and hanging with his motley crew of fun-loving wolves and video-gaming squirrels. Kate is an Alpha: duty, discipline and sleek Lara Croft eye-popping moves fuel her fire. Humphrey's motto – make 'em laugh. Kate's motto – I'm the boss. And they have a thousand miles to go. Back home rival wolf packs are on the march and conflict is brewing. Only Kate and Humphrey can restore the peace. But first, they have to survive each other.

Leaves of Grass - In "Leaves of Grass," Bill Kincaid, a college classics professor (Norton) is lured home from the Ivy League to the backwoods of Southeastern Oklahoma by his identical twin (also Norton), a hedonistic, pot- smoking career criminal. Kincaid finds that Plato and Marcus Aurelius have ill-prepared him for dealing with a gang of homicidal yokels.

Easy A - After a little white lie about losing her virginity gets out, a clean cut high school girl (Emma Stone) sees her life paralleling Hester Prynne's in "The Scarlet Letter," which she is currently studying in school – until she decides to use the rumor mill to advance her social and financial standing.

Never Let Me Go - A poignant love story, adapted from Kazuo Ishiguro's bestselling, Booker Prize short listed novel of the same name. As children, Ruth (Keira Knightley), Kathy (Carey Mulligan) and Tommy (Andrew Garfield), spend their childhood at a seemingly idyllic English boarding school. As they grow into young adults, they find that they have to come to terms with the strength of the love they feel for each other, while preparing themselves for the haunting reality that awaits them.

Jack Goes Boating - Jack Goes Boating is a tale of love, betrayal, friendship and grace centered around two working-class New York City couples. The film stars John Ortiz (American Gangster), Daphne Rubin-Vega (Broadway’s “Rent”), Amy Ryan (Gone Baby Gone) and Philip Seymour Hoffman (Capote), with Hoffman making his feature directorial debut. Bob Glaudini (“A View From 151st Street”) adapted his acclaimed Off Broadway play for the screen.
Jack (Philip Seymour Hoffman) and Connie (Amy Ryan) are two single people who on their own might continue to recede into the anonymous background of the city, but in each other begin to find the courage and desire to pursue their budding relationship. In contrast, the couple that introduced them, Clyde (John Ortiz) and Lucy (Daphne Rubin-Vega), are confronting unresolved issues in their marriage.
Jack is a limo driver with vague dreams of landing a job with the MTA and an obsession with reggae that has prompted him to begin a half-hearted attempt at growing dreadlocks. He spends most of his time hanging out with his best friend and fellow driver Clyde and Clyde’s wife Lucy.
The couple set Jack up with Connie, Lucy’s co-worker at a Brooklyn funeral home. Being with Connie inspires Jack to learn to cook, pursue a new career and take swimming lessons from Clyde so he can give Connie the romantic boat ride she dreams of. But as Jack and Connie cautiously circle commitment, Clyde and Lucy’s marriage begins to disintegrate. From there, we watch as each couple comes face to face with the inevitable path of their relationship.
Jack Goes Boating was co-financed by Overture Films and Big Beach (Little Miss Sunshine, Sunshine Cleaning), with Peter Saraf and Marc Turtletaub of Big Beach producing; Beth O’Neil of Olfactory Productions producing; Philip Seymour Hoffman executive producing and Emily Ziff producing through their company Cooper’s Town Productions (Capote). John Ortiz is an executive producer and George Paaswell (Notorious) co-produces. Sara Murphy of Cooper’s Town is an associate producer. Director of photography is Mott Hupfel (The Savages). Editor is Brian A. Kates (Nights in Rodanthe). Production designer is Thérèse Deprez (Phoebe In Wonderland). Art director is Matteo de Cosmo (Push: Based on the Novel by Sapphire). Costume designer is Mimi O’Donnell.
The stage version of Jack Goes Boating was originally produced by LAByrinth Theater Company in New York City, where Hoffman and Ortiz were co-artistic directors for over ten years.

Catfish - Nev, a 24-year-old New York-based photographer, has no idea what he's in for when Abby, an eight-year-old girl from rural Michigan, contacts him on MySpace, seeking permission to paint one of his photographs. When he receives her remarkable painting, Nev begins a friendship and correspondence with Abby's family. But things really get interesting when he develops a cyber-romance with Abby's attractive older sister, Megan, a musician and model. Prompted by some startling revelations about Megan, Nev and his buddies embark on a road trip in search of the truth.

The Freebie - The Freebie centers on Darren (Shepard) and Annie (Aselton), a young married couple with an enviable relationship built on love trust and communication. Darren and Annie still enjoy each other’s company and laugh at each other’s jokes, but, unfortunately, they can’t remember the last time they had sex. When a dinner party conversation leads to an honest discussion about the state of their love life, and when a sexy bikini photo shoot leads to crossword puzzles instead of sex, they begin to flirt with a way to spice things up. The deal: one night of freedom, no strings attached, no questions asked. Could a "freebie" be the cure for their ailing sex life? And will they go through with it? With a keen eye and fresh take, Aselton’s directorial debut shines with crisp storytelling and fine-tuned performances. THE Freebie is an insightful and humorous look at love, sustaining relationships, and the awkwardness of monogamy when the haze of lust has faded.

Margin Call - Margin Call follows eight people at an investment bank over a 24-hour period amidst a financial crisis. Myriad Pictures is representing the project at the Cannes Film Festival.

One Hundred Mornings - Set in a world upended by a complete breakdown of society, two couples hide out in a lakeside cabin hoping to survive this crisis.

Macho - Macho, the remarkable debut film from director Rafael Palacio Illingworth, deals with the fragmented way in which our brain remembers love. The film movingly presents the most intimate, simple moments that a couple shares when they meet, fall in love, kiss for the first time, fight or cry together. It’s an album of little moments, the constellation of a relationship, the details that made the difference between happiness and sadness.
Hello, beautiful! Another great weekly write up as purrrrr usual (hehehehehe, get it?? pink panther...)

Anyway, my wifey and I decided to see The Town then go out on 'the town' after wards. Been a while since we hung out, so this will be fun!

I'm hearing a lot of praise for this movie so it better be worth it. From what I've seen from the previews, it looks like another heist movie. We'll see...

And btw--you couldn't pay me to see a M. Night Sham movie--EVER!
I don't know--Devil seems like it would be good for laughs, but I think I'll pass on it in theaters.
I saw Gone Baby Gone twice, and want to see it again after watching The Town, which is probably the best movie I’ve seen this year! He has found his niche, as both an actor and a director. I don’t know if he could make the same quality movies outside of Boston, but it’s refreshing for a Mass native to enjoy a movie and not wince at the accents or local references. Both movies were Oscar-worthy and I look forward to more quality dramas from him in the future.
I agree Bruno. Great plot that wasn't just a new version of the same old same old. The cast really portrayed the grittiness of their neighborhood and the challenges they faced. The acting was awesome. Nice to see Ben Affleck in the game with not only his acting but directing. An enjoyable use of your time!

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Aggie.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service